Will you buy an electric or hybrid car next?

How long does it take to charge?

I leased two Volts and then bought one. I’m glad I did since they discontinued them. I get 50 miles on a charge. That is ideal for local trips. I really love it.
That said, hubby and I are a bit leery of going all electric. I mean, will there be enough charging stations? Will they solve the problem of battery fires?

For the ID.4, a full charge takes about 40 minutes, which gives an estimated 275 miles.

Yeah, impatient-to-get-there me is definitely not going to like that. Ugh.

1 Like

We typically like to make a stop after about 2 hours of driving for a biobreak. Works great for us with the Supercharger topping off the car in those 15-20 min, and then we are good to go again.

2 Likes

Ford and Tesla’s partnership is a win-win. Most of the time, the chargers sit unused. More cars using them, more electricity sales to Tesla, more $$ to build new chargers. The more folks feel comfortable driving EVs, the better for both. Regarding charger standard, I personally don’t think the plug configuration is a big deal… just use an adapter.

2 Likes

Yes, exactly my experience on a long trip. Options were to charge around 20 minutes after 2 hours, 30 minutes after 2.5-3 hours. My days of driving more than 3 hours without stretching my legs and taking a “biobreak” are over.

1 Like

The last time I drove my son to school we went 440 miles without stopping. I hate stopping. I’ll need to wait for longer range offerings.

1 Like

15 to 20 minutes is okay. 40 minutes is a lot when you’re anxious to get somewhere. No biggie if you are just casually meandering and exploring.

If I’m anxious about getting somewhere that requires more than 3 hours of driving, I look for alternative ways of getting there. Trains, ferries, buses, planes… driving non-stop for hours is not my idea of a vacation.

4 Likes

When you think about it, flying can take almost as long as driving sometimes.

2 Likes

Yes…flying or train or whatever can take longer…but when I do that…I bring a good book, and some music and relax.

We are taking an 8 1/2 hour car trip on Thursday. That time includes two stops along the way for stretching legs, and maybe getting gas. There are two of us sharing the drive.

This is why I think I’d like a plug in hybrid…

1 Like

Oh absolutely. When you factor in 1. getting to the airport 2. getting into the airport 3. getting through the airport and onto the plane and the reverse including maybe renting a car at your destination. It was always more efficient for me to drive to see my mom 6.5 hours away.

1 Like

My husband’s urologist told him driving like that nonstop is not good for your health. He recommends stopping every few hours and getting out of the car. I get the desire to get somewhere quick but for all of us it’s healthier to stop and get our body moving.

5 Likes

Lol.

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/why-are-electric-car-names-so-bad/

1 Like

That page has the following:

Daihatsu also offered a car named the Charade.

1 Like

Buick stopped making the Electra over 30 years ago. Now it will be the brand name for their electric car line. Talk about being lucky.

3 Likes

This could be the tipping point for Tesla-designed NACS.

5 Likes

I recently purchased a 2023 Chevy Bolt. The economics were very compelling; the car cost about $31,000 and we will receive a $7,500 federal tax credit. Additionally, in our home state of Washington there’s a sales tax exemption on the first $20,000 of the price of an electric car, which amounts to a State subsidy of about $2000.

So collectively the state and federal governments gave us a $9,500 bribe to go electric. And with our electricity rates around 10 cents/kilowatt, our energy cost is about $6.00 for 250 miles of driving. To top it all off, GM paid $1,250 toward the installation of a Level 2 home charger, so I can do a full charge in about 6 hours at home.

Buying the car was a bit of a challenge, as they were back ordered many months and then it was announced they’d be discontinued this year, to replaced by a more expensive alternative.

There were two alternatives, 1) place an order at MSRP and hope to get one before they stop production, or 2) pay a $3,500 to $5,000 premium to a dealer that actually had one.

But I called every dealership within a 1000 miles, and finally talked to a sales manager who didn’t have any but had a friend…

A few minutes later I received a call from another sales manager in the Seattle metro area who told me “We have 3 coming in within a month. Once they’re here, we’ll mark them up $5,000 over MSRP, but if you commit to one now, you can have it at list price.”

Three weeks later I took delivery.

8 Likes

My favorite mis-naming of a car is the Chevy Nova being introduced in Latin America without a name change.

In Spanish, “no va” translates as “doesn’t go”.

2 Likes