Will you buy an electric or hybrid car next?

EVs have a shorter tire life?

The batteries make the vehicles heavier so they put the tires under more stress.

Do they also require more expensive tires?

Depends on the vehicle but often yes.

Probably has more to do with drivers using the instant torque for fast acceleration more.

1 Like

How about the part where it’s zero emission and doesn’t produce greenhouse gas pollution that contributes to climate change every time you drive it like gas and diesel vehicles do?

What about it? The question was would my next car be an EV…and the answer is no. The cost does not justify the supposed environmental benefits…

You can put pretty much any kind of tires you want on an EV but some provide better efficiency than others. I have replaced the Michelins my 2017 Chevy Bolt came with once. Got the same Michelins. Car has almost 100k miles on it.

1 Like

Tire wear, and damage to road surface, are caused by frictions between them. Both faster spinning of tires and heavier vehicle weight increase frictions.

2 Likes

In my driving of both ICEVs and EVs, I see tire wear that tends to get the advertised tire mileage out of the tires.

But car forum people complain about tire wear all the time. I guess I am not surprised, since most drivers drive inefficiently for both fuel / electricity and tire wear.

2 Likes

A driver with a lead foot wears out tires (and damages the road surface) more than one with a light foot, whether s/he drives an EV or ICE. However, s/he does more damage to the tires (and road surface) if the vehicle is heavier (whether in acceleration mode or cruising mode).

2 Likes

EV tires can have a shorter life, but it depends more on how they are driven. We’re still on the original tires at 30k miles. I know others with the same model that have replaced the same tire at 15k due to wear. (If you rocket off the starting line using a lot of torque and then hit the breaks to stop, wear and tear increases bcos of the weight of the car.)

That said, tire manufacturers are starting to develop tires specifically for EVs. (harder rubber in teh middle for longer wear)

1 Like

Same here. Already mentioned up the thread that the original tires on the X lasted us 4 years of daily driving, and their demise was brought by a sharp object puncturing one tire on the freeway. Had to change all tires because of the age, which is what every suv owner would do in that situation. We did not realize that the tires on the X are not rotatable and are also run-flat, but ours was not flat. It was shredded. :slight_smile: Mr. did get another nail into one of the new tires shortly after getting them… but that was fixed.

My daughter just replaced the tires on her EV after 8000 miles.

I hate to report but I think she is going to sell her EV. It’s just not the best choice when it’s your only car. She had to rent a car when going on an emergency road trip. And has to rely on public chargers as she doesn’t have the option to install one at her home. Only street parking available. She was finding the public chargers were broken when she needed one.

The battery life made her too anxious when on the road. So it was an experiment that she’s decided it’s not the right time for her. Right now. Really tried.

Replacing tires after 8000 miles was the last straw. Also the dealer could not get her car in until November. She bought the tires at Walmart which was fine but the dealer has been very unhelpful.

6 Likes

My neighbor has been unable to drive her 2018 Leaf since battery died in November. Still no word on when she will be able to obtain a new battery—it’s on back order. Fortunately, they are able to share her H’s hybrid Lexus.

That would be a challenge with an EV. I do know a few apartment dwellers who have somehow made it work using public chargers, but I personally wouldn’t buy one without a place I knew I could charge. Sorry it didn’t work out for your daughter.

3 Likes

Until chargers are all over the place, not being able to charge at home is a huge downside. On the flip side, if one can charge at home, it becomes a huge advantage. Just plug and play.

I’m shocked at tires lasting 8k only. Car makers always try to save on tires. We had several Corollas that needed new tires after 20k… but 8k?… the maker is not doing any good to the car’s reputation by cheapening out like that!

We never go to the dealer to change tires. Other places do this better and cheaper. Les Schwab is the way to go in my area. Or Costco.

3 Likes

What EV is that?

My EV’s tires are at 22K and still have plenty of tread life left despite me driving pretty aggressively. I do keep check inflation pressures each month, and maybe that helps.

1 Like

Bingo. My independent repair center, which is great, can’t generally service Teslas, but they can definitely get and install the tires.