Will you buy an electric or hybrid car next?

Yes, keeping the tires properly inflated helps. It also helps reduce fuel or electricity consumption and improves the margin of error against unsafe tire conditions (commonly underinflation).

Cars sold new in the US now have tire pressure monitoring systems. Better systems show the pressure of each individual tire so that the driver can check the pressures easily on the dashboard.

she must drive like my D!

But agree, I don’t recommend an EV if one does not have charging at home or at work.

She wanted to go to the dealership because she couldn’t believe that the tires needed to be replaced and wanted another opinion. I think she she also wondered if the dealer would do something about tires that only lasted 8,000 miles. Still under warranty. They wouldn’t even give her an appointment. Remember she is a young woman and was afraid she was being taken advantage of.

It’s a Hyundai Kona

She drove her EV carefully so to not go through too much charge.

The results of the testing of these new “hard rubber in the middle” tires will be interesting to hear about. GENERALLY, hard rubber isn’t a good thing when it comes to handling and braking, but it’s certainly great for wear. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I now have 170,000 miles on my ICE SUV. I just bought 4 new tires for it. The Michelin warranty for the tires is 90,000 miles. They’re my 3rd set of tires, including the original set of tires when the car was new.

1 Like

exactly. Michelin has a tire specific for EV’s an the middle strip of rubber is harder for efficiency whereas the rest of teh tire is normal rubber compound for handling. Trying to eke out the best of both worlds. But since its part of Michelin’s top performance summer tire group, it only has a 20k warranty.

btw: if you are buying tires with a 90k warranty, those are harder rubber by design.

I get the feeling to go back to teh dealer to complain, but in my experience, dealerships don’t like to hassle with warranty claims. (They’d rather just sell you a new set of tires with a big markup.). IMO, much better to go to America’s Tire/Discount Tire (or other local tire shop) who deal with warranty claims all day every day and could give her a good idea of the tire manufacturer would give some sort of prorata discount on a new set.

2 Likes

Yes, I understand how tires generally work. :wink:

May be, but here’s the Tire Rack review:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=300

My 3rd set of these OEM tires. I know they handle well, in terms of SUV’s that does see rain and snow.

I also have newer Michelin’s on a sports car of mine. They’re warrantied for 20K. But I assume the general public who purchase EV’s, like Teslas, Bolts, etc. desire a longer mileage tire/warranty.

The Contis have better wet traction, but lower warranty. (Just sayin’.)

I don’t trust Continentals. I’ve run them on another car. I prefer the Michelin OEM’s, as do the enthusiast forum’s, in both vehicles. But I’m picky when it comes to tires.

probably true, but then I’m all in for safety first. And it’s only a few square inches of rubber on the road, so I’m patiently waiting to wear down my OEM Conti’s so I can change to PS4’s. I just don’t drive hard enough to wear them down faster!

(live in SoCal so not concerned about snow.)

You can buy tires with extremely long warranties (like the Michelin Defender) for EV SUV’s as well.

Tires that come with cars typically have no mileage warranty. But the same tires purchased aftermarket typically do have mileage warranties.

If purchased aftermarket, the OEM tires on a Tesla Model 3 have mileage warranties of 45,000 miles (Michelin Primacy MXM4) or 70,000 miles (Hankook Kinergy GT), while the OEM tires on a Chevrolet Bolt have mileage warranties of 65,000 miles (Michelin Energy Saver AS). In all of these cases, the OEM tires are special versions for the OEM that may differ from other versions of the same tire in the same size (Tire Rack and other retailers do sell these special versions, but you may have to ask carefully to make sure you get the special version or some other version as you prefer).

Every new car I have ever purchased came with a tire warranty; it was a little brochure in the pack of papers that they handed me. But it was a warranty from the tire manufacturer, having nothing to do with the dealer or car manufacturer.

2 Likes

This has been my experience as well.

Yes, the tires came with a tire company warranty, but often excluding the mileage portion for tires that came with new cars.

For example, “Michelin does not cover Original Equipment tires for mileage”, according to https://dgaddcosprod.blob.core.windows.net/b2c-experience-production/attachments/cklc1aasa00sz01ln12nkwj4y-mdp43887-2019-warranty-flyer-quick-guide.pdf , although it did for model year 2011-2017 vehicles.

1 Like

With a curb weight of 9,000 lbs? Do we really need monstrosities like that?

2 Likes

Two things against it for me. First, it is a behemoth, but most importantly, it is a Cadillac. The price? Within the range for folks who buy Cadillacs behemoths. :laughing:

2 Likes