Williams Announces Nation's First All-Grant Financial Aid Program

Williams has eliminated loans, work study, and summer jobs from financial aid packages. All financial aid will be in the form of grants starting in fall 2022.
https://families.williams.edu/articles/williams-announces-nations-first-all-grant-financial-aid-program/

7 Likes

Great news for all students across the country!

2 Likes

It’s great news for those with financial need who have the application stats to get accepted to Williams.

4 Likes

Yes, great for the few who get in…I’d hardly say great for the country.

5 Likes

Hopefully others will follow!

2 Likes

I think no loans or work study is great.

But, I actually think it’s a good thing for students to have to contribute by working summers…and schools of Williams’ level are always selling the internships and alum support. The summer self help is usually not that much either, often in the range of $2k-$4k.

The need to earn usually limits the types of things students can do during the summer. This frees students up to take on internships, research, study abroad, etc that will enrich their experience and prepare them for post-college.

5 Likes

I understand the rationale, but I don’t support anyone working an internship or doing research in a lab for free. That’s just me. We can agree to disagree.

2 Likes

Even if not free, some just don’t pay enough to make the financial aid contribution and meet living expenses.

4 Likes