Wingate vs Microtel

<p>Is the Wingate worth $20 more per night than the Microtel?</p>

<p>I love Wingate and would pay it!</p>

<p>We’ve never stayed at the Wingate, but I can tell you this Microtel is the nicest one we have ever stayed at. It is only a few years old, has comfy queen beds, a frig and decent breakfast. It is our preferred hotel when we come to T-town and we’ve stayed everywhere from Hampton Inn, Country Inn and Suites, Holiday Inn Express, etc…for the money it can not be beat. Only challenge we have ever had is on crowded weekends, like a gameday, the parking lot fills and you have to be mindful of going out late at night and maybe not getting a spot.</p>

<p>I would never stay again at the Cottendale Microtel, especially if the Wingate was only $20 more. I have never stayed at the Microtel on 15th, but its location is much better than the Wingates.</p>

<p>I woke up to two big roaches on the ceiling of the Microtel on 15th during our campus visit in 2011. Needless to say, we have not been back.</p>

<p>Which Microtel?</p>

<p>We just stayed at the Microtel on 15th for our campus visit 2 weeks ago and it was awful! The only reason I didn’t give it a 1 on tripadvisor was because it was clean and had beds. The lighting was awful, breakfast gross and poorly laid out and the bathroom was ridiculously tiny. The parking lot is really small too and the location leaves a lot to be desired in terms of attractiveness. As long as you don’t get stopped by a train though it is easy to get to campus.</p>

<p>I stayed at the Wingate last week. When I was looking at Tripadvisor reviews, I saw mention of bugs at Microtel and that scared me off. I was very pleasantly surprised with the Wingate. The location was not ideal, but not really a problem. We’ve never stayed right next to campus anyway. My room was quite nice. Liked the wood (or psuedo-wood) floors which always seem cleaner to me than carpet. </p>

<p>The Wingate was about $40-50 less a night than the Hilton Garden Inn and the Courtyard (when I priced it). I’ve stayed at both in T-Town and liked them both very much. But after staying at the Wingate, I would definitely say they are not worth an extra $40-50 a night. I would have no qualms staying at the Wingate again or paying $20 more a night than Microtel (though I’ve never stayed there). </p>

<p>Wingate is also pet-friendly (another reason the wood floors are nice). If we bring D’s poochie on a visit, I’d definitely try to stay there.</p>

<p>The Microtel we stayed at was just off McFarland on Veteran’s Memorial Parkway. I mostly liked everything else, but roaches are a deal breaker for me.</p>

<p>Anyone tried the Baymont? I see it’s still available and am leaning towards that one</p>

<p>I’ve stayed in both in the past few months. Definitely Wingate, though Microtel was tolerable-ish if you had to stay there. Wingate gives a Bama discount if your stay is not during an “event” time.</p>

<p>Yay, I’m 1 for 2. My Bama Bound hotel is Wingate, which appears to get decent reviews.</p>

<p>Sadly, my parents’ weekend hotel is Baymont, which gets crushed for (lack of) cleanliness and (abundance of) odors.</p>

<p>I’ll pack my “aerobed” and a sleeping bag, just in case the Baymont is as bad as the reviews say.</p>

<p>I’ve stayed at the Microtel and had no problems at all. Let me tell you, if I had seen a cockroach I would never return, but I’ve been twice with no problems. Clean, cool and comfy. I’d guess there are bugs everywhere, I’ve seen a crazy bug or 2 in my house but it’s just nature. If it is more, often or in a bad place I’d say it’s a problem.</p>

<p>Stayed at both.
Microtel is definitely closer to campus (and right next to Target). No problems other than crawling over each other when daughter was trying to iron her dress. It’s a bit tight.
Wingate is considered “luxury” as far as Ttown accommodations are concerned. :wink: or the Hampton Inn.</p>

<p>We stayed at the wingate for capstone scholars day and it was nice. The drive is not bad at all, especially if you go up and through downtown instead of down McFarland. We will be there this weekend as well.</p>

<p>Thanks, everyone. My alum friend and (non-cc) mommy of Class of 2017 D was asking my opinion and I couldn’t answer.</p>

<p>Wingate allows pets, which is a concern for my husband, who has allergies and asthma. Last time we spent the night, we stayed at Jameson Inn. This was a very nice hotel a few years ago but this time we were disappointed. The time before, we stayed at the Quality Inn on McFarland, close to I-59. It was not fancy, but it was very, very clean and, even though our room was on the interstate side, very quiet. But if I’d been by myself, I would have preferred an interior corridor-type hotel. Two to stay FAR away from: the Sleep Inn on Skyland, and the Motel 6.</p>

<p>Tuscaloosa desperately needs more hotels! Some competition would encourage these others to clean up their acts.</p>

<p>We also stayed at Wingate for Capstone Day & it was lovely. A little off the beaten path, but that’s OK. There’s really not that much close to campus, except for the Hotel Capstone & I am very fussy when it comes to hotels. It also helped that we got it through Hotwire.</p>

<p>I’ve stayed at both Microtels and at the Wingate, along with other hotels in the Tuscaloosa area. The Wingate is almost always the only hotel in the area which does Priceline/Hotwire, so even though you don’t know the name of the hotel before your purchase, it will most likely be the Wingate. </p>

<p>Note that there is really no reason to get on I-20/59 to get between the Wingate and the UA campus, just take the road past the Wingate and turn left onto University Blvd.</p>

<p>Keep in mind that Microtel is a budget chain, whereas the Wingate is more of a moderately-priced chain, which means that the Wingate will likely have better amenities than the Microtel.</p>

<p>I stayed at the Microtel on 15th last week. Had a single queen room so tiny, but perfect, spotless, excellent lighting, front desk beyond compare. really I was VERY impressed.</p>

<p>Have stayed at HomeTown Suites, Wyndham, Ambassador Suites, Comfort Inn. I’d pick Microtel or HomeTown Suites again in a heartbeat esp. given the great location.</p>