Wisconsin Madison Vs Purdue University Mech engr

Guys now I am getting confused. Earlier I decided UW but going through this thread again, I am confused.

What specifically are you confused about? The decision should be your own, and I recommend gathering as much data as possible. Whether it is this thread or any other, as I have taught at universities for years, I always recommend to my students that they be careful in discerning the source of their information. I personally think your position could be a little vulnerable, as an international with limited access to context in this country. Also, you are still in high school, as many are on this board.

So far as posters such as Jiffsmom are concerned, unless she demonstrates she is a professional engineer, I would be a little wary – her advice reads to me more like a personal confusion tactic, as you have already demonstrated in your posts here that you cognize the data sets and their meanings well (smaller engineering differential, vs. much larger overall differential, etc.).

If there is a professional engineer involved with hiring who comments on this thread, that would be a more valuable source of info. that could add further inputs you may lack. I still do not see how this would affect the other advantages of UW in this comparison. So far as I’ve seen, you have been absorbing and processing data on these two institutions at a good rate. Like I’ve said upthread, nobody here denies Purdue’s excellence in engineering, but there are many other, additional advantages that weigh in UW’s favor.

Confusion occurs when someone with an anti-xxx agenda chooses to pop up on a forum. JiffsMom was last posting regularly on the UW site a few years ago when I suspect her child was not accepted. Never anything positive to say, always finding fault. Consider the sources of comments.

If finances are similar I believe you will find a much better campus life at UW. The world seems to come to UW more so than to Purdue. The liberal, activism nature of UW will be more interesting. You are choosing to become educated in the US to experience the culture as well as get a good education. Life is so much more than classrooms, textbooks/computers and labs. This is true for sciences as well as liberal arts. btw- I was a UW chemistry major, son math plus computer science. Yes, be engrossed in your field but recognize that top engineers also know and appreciate the larger world around them. UW is more likely to do that since there are more equally smart people in other fields you will encounter than in Indiana where many smart students choose IU over Purdue for non STEM majors.

@kkedia‌ Have you looked at the archived final exams for the foundation courses that you will be taking? My son is doing that with the math courses and comparing Purdue’s to UW (the exams and solutions are on the department websites). He sees a significant difference. I urge you to do this and maybe get a sense in your own mind about the rigor and approach of each school.

@kkedia, have you posted your question in the engineering forums? That’s what I did last year when my son was trying to decide between two schools, one of which was ranked much higher than the other. In your case, you’re choosing between two excellent schools; visit both and go with your gut. The difference between the numbers “7” and “17” is completely irrelevant in the real world (here in the US, at least), where nobody cares what US News says about pretty much anything.

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/engineering-majors/

The nice thing about engineers is that they tend to be a relatively dispassionate bunch and try to deal in facts.

You sound like someone for whom Wisconsin would be a much better fit in general, but you might find that you love Purdue and what it has to offer. It really doesn’t matter what other people would do; you need to make the choice that’s best for YOU. As far as mechanical engineering goes, you have two outstanding options.

@wis75‌ Actually UW costs 7000 dollars/ annum less than what Purdue does. Being an International Student costs is as important as quality of education.
@anhydrite‌ I give utmost importance to starting package as I have to cover my costs of education. Since you have taught in college, you may be familiar with these schools?

@LucieTheLakie‌ I have not posted yet. Will do it.

@kkedia, yes, I am familiar with these schools. I’m not totally clear on your questions, but I will try to answer:

If you mean starting financial package, and UW is actually $7,000 less per year total (= roughly $28,000 total, minus tuition adjustments), and you have to pay out-of-pocket: I think this discussion should be over. You should choose the cheaper choice out of two excellent educations. And if it were reversed in your case, unless there were family contributions to offset, I’d still recommend the cheaper choice. Here it is clearly Wisconsin.

If you are asking me about the school’s quality of education, I think that’s also clear by now; for mechanical engineering, they would be considered peers, with slight but not major differences, and both have formidable engineering resources, in slightly different areas and strengths. Both schools are accredited for their respective engineering programs. And when we say the undergrad curriculum will be quite similar, that means your qualifications when you graduate from either program will be roughly equal; if you are motivated and diligent, you should be able to receive solid career support, and likely some internship opportunities at both.

And frankly, in my opinion, the remainder of the academic resources and overall lifestyle weighs heavily in Wisconsin’s favor. And I have no problem with Purdue’s engineering school at all – it is very fine and highly respected.

Finally, to the posters who suggest one school’s academic department is significantly better than the other: I disagree. For the poster who thinks math is much better at Purdue: Wisconsin has had one of the highest-ranked graduate mathematics programs in the country, for a long time running. What this means in practical terms is that one can attain the highest level of mathematical inquiry and research available in the country. Most undergraduates won’t be prepared for this, but comments to the effect that some tests in an undergrad math requirement aren’t the same doesn’t really reconcile with the quality and resources of a program on offer.

And again, the only person I’d defer to at this point is either an engineering professional who does hiring, or an engineering faculty member at an accredited program. They would know more, but you’d probably have to find them on the engineering board, or elsewhere.

Stop agonizing over the choice.

I have decided, I am going with UW.
Will finalize by next week. Thank You people
Specially @wis75‌ and @anhydrite‌

http://m.host.madison.com/zooniversity-presents-teach-me-how-to-bucky-official-music-video/youtube_e2be020a-d569-11df-b32a-001cc4c03286.html?mobile_touch=true

@kkedia

@kkedia‌ I’m also stuck between Purdue and Wisconsin… :-/ what do you suggest, besides the cost? (P.S: from Pakistan)

And @anhydrite‌ , @wis75‌ , I’d certainly appreciate some help! I just want a very fine mechanical or aerospace engineering degree. I can compromise on the location and cost factors, though.

@Shayanee, what specifically would you like to know that hasn’t already been covered here?

If you are set on aerospace engineering for your career, then Purdue – Wisconsin doesn’t really specialize in aerospace as far as I know, and Purdue is excellent there. If mechanical plus possible other interests along the way, I’d still recommend UW overall, for all of the supporting assets it has that Purdue lacks.

@anhydrite‌ I just want a straightforward answer to ‘will wisconsin make up a better resumé than Purdue?’ Plus, i did have my eyes on aerospace, but it might narrow down my choices too early. Ugh…I can’t even decide the major!

There is no straightforward answer to your question, unless the discipline is aerospace, in which the clear answer is Purdue.

You must do the work and research these schools – their advantages, disadvantages, atmosphere, offerings, settings, alumni, international reputations … if you truly can’t decide, I’d recommend Wisconsin, as it offers more disciplines with strength and rigor across the board, and an outstanding campus and community life. If you are set on pursuing the narrow field of aerospace and that’s your main concern, go to Purdue.

Hey @Shayanee‌
Although you mentioned that cost is not an important factor, but you might find this helpful. http://chancellor.wisc.edu/blog/proposed-tuition-increases-among-out-of-state-and-professional-school-students/
I myself was confused between Purdue and Wisconsin and went for Purdue at last. (Mech engr)
Also If you go through the budget website of Wisconsin Madison you will find that they have stopped funding many of their projects. So you decide…

You say [UW] has stopped funding many of the projects. Could you provide an example of a project they are no longer funding? Or multiple examples if you are so obliged.

Yes, @kkedia – I was waiting for somebody else to comment precisely on this. You received much assistance here, and you are entitled to make whatever decision suits you best in your life. You were leaning towards Madison for some time, then switched to Purdue. That is fine, and I wish you the best in your academic career.

But then to come back on here, and persuade other students on your newfound choice with debatable incentives is neither mature, nor accurate. I scoured the budget sites to find what you were implying, and I could not. UW has not, as far as I know, “stopped funding” its great number of research and academic projects. It probably couldn’t stop most quickly if it tried due to the nature of the research vetting and structural process, and your statement takes no account of the many UW projects that are funded by federal grants – upwards of $1 billion per year, for several years running. Only about five institutions per year accomplish this, and Purdue is not one of them (they are, most recently: Johns Hopkins, Michigan, Washington, Wisconsin, and Duke among those institutions that include undergraduate populations). Government decisions at the state level, such as budget proposals, will not directly affect federally funded projects.

So please, use some discretion in your posts. Other students rely on accurate information to make decisions that will impact their life and finances.

It was my younger daughter, and yes, she was admitted to UW, attended, and graduated with a BS in Sociology/Entrepreneurship. Not too surprising… 33 ACT and National AP Scholar. My older daughter (similar credentials) did a 3+2, 5 year total BS in Industrrial Engineering plus an MBA in Global Supply Chain Management at Purdue, with a merit-based Trustees Scholarship. Both have graduated and embarked on their professional careers and are doing very well. Both had plenty of internship experience, and no problems finding a job whatsoever after graduation.

We got much more for our money at Purdue than at UW. If paying for college is an issue as it is for most families/students, that matters.