Women's Rowing Walk-On Info Session tomorrow

<p>With Get –On-Board Day postponed, a day that has historically attracted walk-on’s for the women rowing team, the delay means this Fall season practices will be well underway before get-on-board this year. If you, a friend or your student has any interest in being a part of the women’s rowing team at UA there will be an information meeting as noted below tomorrow evening -Tues. Sept. 4th. </p>

<p>The Alabama women’s rowing team is holding an informational meeting for current full-time Alabama students who are interested in becoming NCAA Division I athletes.
The rowing program is looking for athletic, hardworking, highly competitive and dedicated women to join the 2012-13 Tide team. This is not a club team - this is a varsity program, and those who make the team could potentially earn a scholarship.</p>

<p>The informational meeting for potential walk-ons will be held Tuesday, Sept. 4 at 7:30 p.m. in the Bill Battle Academic Center at Bryant Hall in Room 247. In addition to providing information about the program and what it takes to be an Alabama rower, those that are interested will have the opportunity to fill out NCAA paperwork and begin the process of becoming a UA student-athlete.</p>

<p>No prior rowing experience is needed to join the team and those that make the cut could be competing for Alabama as an NCAA Division I student-athlete in less than six weeks.
More information is available on the rowing page of RollTide.com under the walk-on link or by contact assistant coach Derek Tuten (<a href=“mailto:dtuten@ia.ua.edu”>dtuten@ia.ua.edu</a> or 348.6476).</p>

<p>I have a great deal of experience with Division I intercollegiate rowing and would like to echo what a great sport it is. The London Olympics provided numerous examples of athletes who walked on as rank novices in college and ended up Olympic medalists. </p>

<p>'Bama has a great body of water for training and racing, a fine coach, and is an up and coming program ready to make a splash on the national scene.</p>

<p>Rowers are among the fittest athletes on the planet and it is the ultimate team sport. If your daughter has even a slight curiosity, encourage her to check out this opportunity.</p>

<p>I second Malani, rowing is a great team sport! My son is a member of UA’s men’s rowing team and loves it! (The men’s team is considered a club sport…Title IX…but they are an official UA team. He had no prior experience before attending Bama.) </p>

<p>The women’s team is a first class operation! If I remember correctly, some of the girls that walk on will earn scholarships. Row Tide!</p>