Working with a Tax ID number

Hi! I am an incoming freshman to UCSB. I am in the US as an E2 visa holder while my older brother is in the US on an F1 visa. We both have Tax ID numbers. When my brother went to visit CPP (Cal Poly Pomona), he was told he could work as long as it is through the school. I was wondering if that is the case because he has a Tax ID number or if it’s a F1 benefit and how I could possibly help out my parents with tuition costs once I go to college.

Thank you

You have a tax ID Number or a work permit?
If you have a tax ID number you can use to pay taxes for work, that does not mean, that you are not working illegally, unless you have a work permit.
I’m non an expert, but I think a few hours of campus work is a benefit from f-1 visa.

E2 child dependents are not permitted to gain work authorization (unlike spouses). Also you will age out when you turn 21, at which point you could shift to an F1 student visa. But if you want to stay in the US long term, your parent(s) should be looking to adjust their status to another immigrant visa category before you turn 21. If that is done in a timely manner then you will be able to gain work authorization (and permanent residency).

Alternatively if you plan to leave the US you could switch to F1 status and gain the ability to do some types of work (OPT) earlier. But if like most people you would prefer to stay in the US that is not an advisable course of action, because gaining permanent residency through your parents is much easier than doing it on your own as an H1B.