Worried about financial aid package

I am currently a freshman in college that plans on transferring. I have applied to a few schools I am interested in, but I have one top choice in mind. The dilemma I am having is that I am waiting on my financial aid package from my top choice in order to make a decision. I want to make sure I can afford it prior to committing. My advisor told me that all packages would be released in late January for incoming students. When I reached out to financial aid to check about my package, they told me the packages wouldn’t be released until early April. I know some schools do this, but I am worried because I need to make a decision before then for multiple reasons such as financial aid, housing, choosing classes, etc. How should I handle this situation? I was thinking about talking to my advisor about it, but I am unsure of the best way to convey my concerns to him.

I don’t know what to say…I would suggest waiting. You won’t be paying for your current college before April…and it’s not unusual for students to withdraw after that. So…just wait until you get the financial aid package from your transfer school and then make a decision.

My opinion.

But I will say…if your screen name is your real name, I would strongly urge you to change it.

@CC_Jon @CC_Sorin

Well, the thing is I have to register for my current school’s classes by that time. This is why I am conflicted.

I also have other school’s offers on the table too that I am considering, even though they aren’t my first choice, if they give better aid, I would go with them.

You usually don’t have to pay a deposit to register for classes if you are already a student at the school. You MAY have to pay a housing deposit, but that’s rather unusual too.

If no deposit is due, go ahead and register for classes at your current school.

It is not unusual for FA for a transfer student to not be available until late in the spring. You may have to just make your best guess or put all your eggs in the ‘1st choice’ transfer school, and if it doesn’t work out take a leave year (or return to your current school)

3 Likes

Just don’t forget to drop your classes once you finalize your plans. (Sorry, didn’t mean to tag you, @twoinanddone.)

You can also try to push the issue up the ladder. Email the head of financial aid directly and just state your case. Worse they can say is not but they might be able to push it upstream for you. Never hurts to ask but email them directly. The phone person will just say no.

1 Like