Would having a prominent recommender help applications to US universities?

I’m applying to US universities like MIT, Stanford, Princeton, Caltech, and UCB.

Say that I have a potential recommender who has worked with me for a month in the same team at a company and can probably write a recommendation with many anecdotes, but is only a regular HR just out of college for a few years. Another potential recommender is an accomplished person (leader of a large company, say) but only knows me enough to write two or three specific events, with the rest of the recommendation only summaries.

I have to choose between these two recommenders. Which one should I choose? Are two or three specific events enough?

Um, neither? One stem teacher rec, one humanities rec. Neither of yours sound like a high school students rec.

But in general, the prestige of your recommender doesnt rain down on you, so go with the rec who can tell good stuff about you.

6 Likes

The problem is I’m homeschooled and don’t have teachers :smiling_face_with_tear:. The best I have are the people I interact with at an internship.
But thanks for the help!

It sounds like you might be an international student?

If yes, do you have a backup plan in your home country?

Tagging @Sweetgum to get her advice as a homeschooling parent.

Did anyone mentor you in any of your academic areas studies…beside your parents?

I am indeed an international student.
I don’t have any backup plans for going to universities in my own country though. I prefer the educational format in the US. I’m currently considering applying again next year or going to second-class universities in the US and transferring.
Perhaps you’re thinking I can get LoRs from a university teacher in my own country?

No… In addition to being a homeschooler, I’m also a self-learner. Not even my parents mentored me much–I mostly learned by myself.
I’m trying to interact with more people these years, but mostly not teachers. I best I have are internship supervisors and project coworkers.
Recs from these people would work, though? Admission officers only want an objective, third-party evaluation of the student in a rec letter. Can people who are not teachers do just as well?

I would encourage you to reach out to your AO at the schools you intend on applying to and ask what they want to see from you with regard to not only LoRs, but also transcripts, courses taken, academic evaluations, and test scores. What US schools require from homeschool applicants does vary.

9 Likes

Your preference is understandable. But unfortunately, acceptance to U.S. colleges is hard for the majority of international applicants. And your situation is complicated by your unschooling. So you absolutely must have a backup plan unless you’re ok not going to college at all.

Are you able to document your studies and create transcripts?
Are you an older student?
Do you need any financial aid?

Does this mean you already applied and received no acceptances?

If your plan is to transfer into an Ivy level school, that is almost certainly not going to happen. They take very few transfer students.

No. You need LORs from a high school teacher.

Schools typically require one, sometimes two, LORs from high school teachers in core subjects. They may accept an additional LOR from a supervisor, but not as a replacement.
However, there are some colleges that don’t require LORs at all.

1 Like

There is another thread on here someplace about an unschooled international student. It gives some good suggestions on how to document what you did for coursework (you will need to do that). There were some suggestions for getting a high school equivalency test done in your home country too…if that’s possible.

Perhaps someone else can find that thread and link it here. It has very good advice in it.

2 Likes

Here you go…

OP- what’s your budget? You will need to demonstrate that you have enough money to cover four years at a US institution before getting a student visa.

3 Likes

UCB does not normally use recommendations, though they may ask some applicants to send optional recommendations. But that means that the answer to your question for UCB is generally “no”, since recommendations are usually not used at all.

Most other US universities that want recommendations want them from instructors in your course work.

1 Like

Here is the link to the previous student. The thread was closed, but this situation sounds very similar to this post.

I think you are over your head in applying to these schools.
You don’t have an educational record and you appear desperate to find someone (non-teachers) who will vouch for your academic history. The LOR’s should be from academic teachers. Coworkers from an internship can be utilized as LORs for employment, but it wont help with an Admissions application to tough schools.

The LORs are supposed to come from a teacher, in your past, who had you in any size classroom as an instructor because that is what the colleges want to know, and expect, that you will get the same experience at a US university.

What is your budget? As an international student, funding is extremely limited. With your lack of a record, it will be impossible.

3 Likes

Realize that MIT and Stanford, Princeton, Caltech, UCB are reaches for every student. They simply don’t have enough spots for all the superbly qualified applicants who have perfect everything. If you are a student who has perfect everything then you have a shot at it, but if not…

4 Likes

Blockquote
Are you able to document your studies and create transcripts?

I didn’t know that I should make a transcript, but I definately can!

Blockquote
Are you an older student?

Actually I’m a “younger” student–only 16 years old. Will that stand against me?

Blockquote
Do you need any financial aid?

It’s best if I could get it, but it’s not a priority. I can go without it.

Blockquote
Does this mean you already applied and received no acceptances?

I actually meant “again” as in relative to this year. I’ve never applied before.

Thank you! This thread has been really helpful. It’s great to know that I can actually make a transcript without grades.

I don’t know my exact budget… But I’m confident that my parents’ calculation is correct.

Besides, there’s always the option of student loans.

@aunt_bea @Sweetgum Thanks really much for the suggestions!
I’m aware that these schools are difficult to get in, but I think I have a chance. I’ll give it a shot. It’s not going to hurt to give it a try.