Would I be considered black?

<p>Okay, I'm an Afro-Latina and my family is from Mexico and Cuba. I grew up in a predominantly Hispanic environment but if you saw me, you'll probably think i'm African american (also my Cuban father looks straight up black). Would it be okay if I checked both black and Hispanic??
Its a little confusing since I'm Hispanic yet have ties to when slaves that were brought to these countries intermingled with the natives.</p>

<p>BQ: My family has also native american blood (though native to the SOUTH AMERICA and Cuba- everyone thinks that the term native american pertains to only the American Indians..)
I'm not looking for a push in the admission process but I'm curious to know if they accept Tribal IDs that are not from the US.</p>

<p>Thanks for reading :]</p>

<p>What did you check on your standardized testing or any other applications?</p>

<p>HMMM good question… I am assuming that you are at least 16yo? and you have NEVER said you were black in the past? Then now, because of the benefits it will provide, you want to hold up the “I’m black” sign… sounds insincere to me.how many times have you been offended to be called/asked if you are black? </p>

<p>I wonder how many others do this, just so they can reap the benefits… maybe I am wrong/read something into your post that I shouldn’t have…and if I have, I apologize… but wow… I look domincan, but I am black and yes, I too have latino ancestry)way back when, but I would never check off latino cause it goes back too far, just as yours does)… but my mama and daddy are black check black, even though my mom can pass for white…completely! and she NEVER says she is white just because it would make her life easier or give her a benefit… so guess what? I am black! I am sure lots of other folks will feel differently and wag a finger @ me…especially those who have never had to deal with color/race issues…</p>

<p>Short answer: No.
Long answer: See above post.</p>

<p>I personally would say your latina. Your not black. Black is considered African American or African really to be honest. </p>

<p>If you consider your self hispanic, then your hispanic. </p>

<p>I agree with New Haven on this one.</p>

<p>Wow what an AA lottery! You could be Latino, African American, and Native American at the same time!</p>

<p>Your right, I am black, so i’m just going to put both (I usually do anyways). And I’m not trying to get benefits cause obviously I could still get them since i’m native american and mexican/cuban. I obviously have African ancestry and consider myself Hispanic, which can include Asian, black, and mestizo looking Hispanic.</p>

<p>Exactly how black are you? If you know, that is.</p>

<p>A. 1/2
B. 1/4
C. 1/8
D. 1/16 or less</p>

<p>If it’s D, then it would be quite dishonest of you to mark “black” on your applications. You’ll probably mark it anyway, so what exactly was the point of this thread?</p>

<p>Race is physical appearance, so yes you are black in race and Hispanic in ethnicity. I’d stop there, however lol</p>

<p>I’m not really directing this at you, but from what I’ve noticed after reading numerous threads like these. I don’t see what the confusion is. You say you’re Mexican and Cuban. If you asked most people, I highly doubt they’d tell you you’re black. </p>

<p>Sure, you might be black, white, or asian farther down the line, but really… And my mom “looks” light enough to be white but that wouldn’t make me white.</p>

<p>On a survey, I would fill out: </p>

<p>[x] Hispanic [ ] Non-Hispanic
Check all races that apply
[ ]White
[x]Black
[ ]Pacific Islander/Asian
[x]Native American/First Nation
[ ]Other</p>

<p>Basically, I’m saying that you should def fill out forms like that. For all the people saying other wise, Hispanic is NOT a race. It is an ethnicity in which people are connected by the Spanish language. You can be white, black, mulatto, mestizo, amerindian, asian, middle eastern and STILL be Hispanic.</p>

<p>Also, I think you should give it a try and see if they accept non USA Native Americans.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Not only the language, but also a shared culture. Language is not the only prerequisite.</p>

<p>My bad, yes the culture too (in a way). And I definitely did not say it was the only prerequisite. When referring to Hispanics though, language is definitely what I would consider as a main distinction. It is referring to the spanish-speaking countries of the region. If I wanted to talk more about the cultural tendencies/similarities, I would rather use the term Latino. But, the OP is talking about being Hispanic in this thread. lol</p>

<p>^Haha, true. </p>

<p>

</p>

<p>That’s an interesting distinction. I, for one, still don’t understand the differences between the terms Hispanic and Latino - where do the similarities end? Care to educate me via pm/some links? :)</p>

<p>I wonder how many of you are familiar with the issue of race in Latin America? It’'s pretty interesting.</p>

<p><a href=“http://www.pbs.org/wnet/black-in-latin-america/[/url]”>http://www.pbs.org/wnet/black-in-latin-america/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>I would second marionbiosax’s question about what percentage black you are. If its less than 1/8, you can’t count it.
If its 1/8 or more though, I would say you have the right to call yourself black, especially since you’ve been treated as black by most strangers for most of your life.
And, I doubt you can count the native american thing unless you’re registered with a tribe.</p>

<p>You’re not black.</p>

<p>@Shrinkrap: Speaking as an immigrant myself, I think that I take the proliferation of classifications based upon skin color in Latin American and Caribbean culture for granted. Although the video didn’t discuss Haitian culture very much, there are lots of substrata amongst those considered “peasants” (paysans) and the bourgeoisie. America, I think, is not too different from the Latin American and Caribbean cultures when it comes to generating spurious differences amongst blacks based on skin color - the main twist comes into play when one considers that there is also a large Caucasian population as well.</p>

<p>colleges cant check to see how black you are. as long as you look kinda black, you will have no problem checking that box.</p>

<p>You are all of the above, just check every box that applies. I used to check black, but that’s only because my parents drilled it into my head that I am only black, but from now on I will check white and black because I am mixed and proud!</p>