Would I be considered black?

<p>No, you are not black.</p>

<p>Black is a race. Hispanic is an ethnicity. The US Census includes Caucasian Hispanic and Black Hispanic, so demographically, it’s correct to check both.</p>

<p>A Puerto Rican friend of mine says you’re rich you’re Hispanic, if you’re poor you’re Latino.</p>

<p>^lol!..</p>

<p>Do you consider yourself to be black? If your answer is yes, then in 99.99% of cases, yes, you are black, and none of our opinions on the issue matter, nor should they. If you don’t consider yourself black, then again, in the vast majority of cases, no, you are not black, and again, none of our opinions matter nor should they.</p>

<p>If you are still personally sorting out your racial identity, then ask your family members what they consider their race to be, and considering that it’s just a form and not your formal declaration of self, follow from what they say.</p>

<p>The Common App doesn’t even count Hispanic as a race, just an ethnicity so you are going to have to choose a race and if you look black, I would go with black.</p>

<p>When your mother/father registered you for school, what did they put down? What were you before you started the college process? OP is not black/afro american. S/he is hispanic and should be checking Mexican/Cuban.</p>

<p>This is one reason why they should take it the information directly from the school records, so if someone is looking to game the system, they can start with their first entry into school.</p>

<p>Why would someone want/need to “game” the system?</p>

<p>For the same reason a person who has lived 16,17, 18 years all of the sudden does not know what they are and has to ask the question “Am I Black?”</p>

<p>^^^
I thought they were asking so that they could fill out their applications correctly…which is not “gaming” the system. Are you suggesting that there is another reason?</p>

<p>Rule of thumb: If you have to ask…then the general answer would be no.</p>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/college-admissions/927219-race-college-admission-faq-discussion-8-a.html?highlight=faq[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/college-admissions/927219-race-college-admission-faq-discussion-8-a.html?highlight=faq&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>See posts numbers 9, 10 and 13.</p>

<p>I have a friend, who by racial definition is “black.” Like Obama, her mother is white and her father is black, from Africa. Her brothers and sisters have very dark, “black” skin. However, while she shares the same gene pool, she looks white, with very curly light brown hair. So, if she were to apply to college today, should she tick off the “african-american” box? She IS by race African American, yet looks “white” to the casual observer.</p>

<p>You are black, but not African American. Black is anyone descended from the people of Africa included is – mixed people, bi racial, anyone with more melanin than Asian people could be considered black. Culturally you’re probably Hispanic or Latina, but realistically you are Black.</p>

<p>I say put black. It’s a race not a culture. I’m not Hispanic or Latino but am multiracial. I look black so I put black even though I don’t really identify myself with the African American culture. </p>

<p>You’re black/Hispanic/native American</p>

<p>I agree with @NewHavenCTmom.</p>

<p>Seriously, if you have to ask if you should be considered black, then you are not black.</p>

<p>End of Story.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>This is completely untrue. I’m from India (the southern part) and many people think I look black or at least part black, while in reality Indians and Africans are generally no more closely related than Chinese people and Africans.</p>

<p>I have a third cousin who’s also Indian but mostly has ancestors from the northern part except the ancestor we share. He’s an albino but merely looks like a really pale Caucasian, while his family is all pretty clearly Indian.</p>

<p>Your a latina…plain and simple…</p>

<p>Hi Sticknstones,</p>

<p>You can be what ever you want to be, you can be a Latina as well as a Black woman. Put yes. There are many Black Cubans here in the US, plus there are Black Mexicans as well.</p>

<p>uhh probably not</p>