Would it be worth transferring to a better Engineering School?

<p>I will be attending A&M this fall and was thinking that once I completed a year or two of classes at A&M I could transfer to a higher rated engineering school such as MIT, if it would benefit me. How do you think A&M's engineering programs compare to MIT's? I've heard that some ivy league schools curriculum are very easy and do not prepare their students even more so than a state school. How true do you think this is? Overall ivy league schools seem overrated... What do you think?</p>

<p>Honestly, you are about to attend one of the best engineering schools in the country that has an excellent rapport within the job market. I would not transfer out of it. Get that Aggie ring, and work off of the base courses at A&M that are designed to prepare you for upper-level at A&M, not a different school.</p>

<p>Personally, in my opinion, the difference in engineering programs at A&M and other top 30 schools (listed on the US News & World Report) is nominal. Therefore, I would not recommend transferring unless one was interested in working for a company close to those schools/ that recruited at those schools and not A&M. Beyond that, there could be personal reasons to transfer (perhaps you have taken a liking to snow skiing/ or have an opportunity to earn better financial aid etc), but I doubt higher ranking would be one.</p>

<p>You can go to MIT for your Masters. This is what I plan to do in future.</p>

<p>I agree with the others about not transferring. I also agree with Confused786 about MIT for masters should you pursue on. I also agree with you that the Ivy league schools are overrated. Other than the network based on being around a hudred years or longer than other colleges teaching/education wise I would say depending on the department there are many other schools that offer just as good an education. Knowing several Ivy league grads myself & in some cases working alongside them I would say some of these people that pay hundreds of thousands to attend there really NEED the network & prestige an Ivy league brings if you catch my drift.
Also if you are planning on working in Texas it would be safe to say an engineering degree from TAMU would put you on par, or perhaps even ahead of an Ivy league candidate for a job based on the strength of the TAMU network. UT & TAMU are HUGE schools, thus they produce a lot of students & when they are in positions to exert influence in a hiring situation that TAMU or UT ring comes in handy.</p>