Would my liberal daughter fit in, NMSF

<p>My daughter just received information about the Presidential Scholarship because she is a NMSF. Wow, what a great scholarship offer that is, and she must seriously consider accepting it. Our concern is that we are fairly liberal, non-religious people. Also, my daughter is use to extreme diversity where we live outside of San Francisco. In fact, she is often the only white person in most of her classes. We have never been in the South and know no one that lives there, but she is open to and wants new experiences. M is interested in biology and psychology and loves learning new things. I’ve read some of the other threads regarding fitting in, and it sounds like the honors kids are happy at Alabama. I’m new on the forum today. Anyone have a comment on my concerns?</p>

<p>i think in any school of 30K kids there is going to be a place for everyone.</p>

<p>Have her join the facebook group for the class of 2016… most of the kids on there, including myself, are from out of state. Many of them are from northern states like Illinois, Ohio, Massachusetts, etc. I have made friends with many of them and they have all been great. I’m also a NMSF and I’m from a fairly liberal and racially and religiously friendly part of Florida.</p>

<p>No worries, calibayareamom. My son is a NMF, liberal, and raised in Hawaii (where, as a Caucasian, he’s in the minority). He’s had no problem fitting in, loves Bama, and has decidedly benefitted from attending a university in which the culture is different from the one he was raised in. Bama has expanded his horizons, broadened his scope, and matured him.</p>

<p>There’s something there for everyone. And yes, that NMF scholarship package is phenomenal. Feel free to pm me if you’d like to discuss this more (I attended college in the Bay Area).</p>

<p>I do have to suggest that she not join the greek system if she is an outspoken liberal because it is heavily conservative for the most part. I’m a liberal and have lived in alabama all my life so we’ll fit in together! haha</p>

<p>Just a friendly reminder for those who may be concerned about not being Greek at Bama, about 75% of the student body (roughly 23,000 students) are not Greek. As I said above, there’s something for everyone at UA, including liberals. :)</p>

<p>Thanks everyone. We are going to plan a visit and see how she likes it. Some of the schools that she has liked on paper, she ended up disliking after visiting, and some of the schools she didn’t think that she would like, she loved after visiting them. Her scholarship came with a phone number to arrange a special visit so I will try that on Monday. Alabama seems like a very friendly place. Thanks again:)</p>

<p>Also contact allison verhine in the honors college.</p>

<p>Listen to M2CK and contact Allison. She put together a GREAT visit day for me.</p>

<p>There are definitely many liberal, non-religious people at UA, myself and many of my friends included. I’m from a very liberal area north of Seattle and while UA generally leans on the conservative side of things, there is still a very large number of liberal students on campus. </p>

<p>The Greek system is traditionally conservative, but that is slowly changing as more students form other areas of the country join UA’s social fraternities and sororities. Nothing is stopping her from choosing to rush, it’s just that the more liberal students usually choose to be GDIs instead of pledging a fraternity/sorority.</p>

<p>I am a moderate, non-religious student at Alabama who is in the Greek system and Honors College. While I am certainly a minority in my religious and political beliefs, I have never had an issue with it – however, that may just be because I choose to avoid those topics as much as possible. I have found people to be, for the most part, respectful of different beliefs. I certainly think any type of person could find their place at Alabama – just want you to know that you don’t have to stay away from the Greek system just because your beliefs may not match the mainstream beliefs of most Greek students!</p>

<p>What is a GDI?</p>

<p>GDI= Gosh Darn Independent, a person that choses not to participate in the Greek system…approximately 75% of the students at UA,:)</p>

<p>Hi calibayareamom,</p>

<p>Wow. I could have written that post - I believe I did post the same question in April of 2010 when we were facing the same dilemma with our D.</p>

<p>We are liberal, non-religious, and D attended the optional (accelerated) program at an inner city high school with a very diverse population of kids. she is a biology major - pre-vet. She quickly settled in at Bama and found other students with similar interests & mindsets through the clubs she joined. </p>

<p>Bama is big, and by default you’ll find kids of all types there. D has never regretted the choice, and she recently told me that the longer she lives in Tuscaloosa the more she loves it.</p>

<p>Feel free to PM me if you’d like to ask my D any questions directly.</p>

<p>And yes, the scholarships are VERY generous. You can’t beat them :)</p>