WSJ: Colleges Spend Like There’s No Tomorrow. ‘These Places Are Just Devouring Money.’

Colleges Spend Like There’s No Tomorrow. ‘These Places Are Just Devouring Money.’ - WSJ

6 Likes

A similar article with some graphs and also private school spending in the last 20 years: https://www.usnews.com/education/best-colleges/paying-for-college/articles/see-20-years-of-tuition-growth-at-national-universities

3 Likes

As the article points out, rankings are a factor behind this crazy over-spending. USNews rankings assign a 10% weight on spending per student.

8 Likes

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Students want the best, many into aesthetics or modern facilities, etc so it makes sense. Some families can pay, some will pay even if they can’t afford to. Some just can’t.

While some states have enacted programs for the lowest income students, the reality is college takes a huge bite. But no matter the cost, many see it as the only way toward a prosperous future.

What if a Kentucky or Oklahoma or tons of others didn’t spend ? Their facilities would languish or be obsolete. Who would go ?

Today, public or private, everyone wants a nice dorm, cafeteria, etc. and top notch facilities.

Families power this by paying.

The schools are in a tough boat.

They have to spend to have a chance. But if it backfires and students leave, who will pay the bills ?

Many schools have seen their public debt ratings crumble to barely investment grade or below.

In the case of public schools, it will be interesting to see if the states step in if the schools can’t pay their bills.

Pennsylvania is already taking steps to mitigate its crisis by merging multiple universities into one structure, looking to save money. Actually they’re doing it a few times- with their many publics across the state. Privates are closing.

But the cycle will likely continue - there are no shortage of families who take tours and get excited at the modern and sophisticated facilities they see.

How the Northern Illinois (junk rated BA2) of the world keep up remains to be seen.

Very interesting article and I suspect things won’t change in the next few decades. Colleges will remain in an arms race and parents will give up their left arm to ensure their kids can take part.

7 Likes

Thx for ’posting. I think we all knew this. But what are schools doing right that don’t have to increase like crazy yearly?

Huh. That does not sound like all that much to me. Apparently a lot of the numbers they led with had a large component of student body expansion incorporated.

So that’s interesting too. Apparently many of these colleges expanded, and it further appears often one of the consequences of expansion is it allowed them to take in higher percentages of out-of-state students paying higher tuition. Not sure that is obviously a bad strategy for the in-state students, as long as expansion means the out-of-state students are not crowding them out.

It doesn’t look like the WSJ broke down the financial implications for in-state versus out-of-state students. But the US News article another poster linked is maybe a little helpful–it shows from 2003 to 2023, at publics which count as “national universities”, average in-state tuition increased by $7,339, average out-of-state tuition by $16,428. So it does seem like in gross terms, this strategy could have been helpful. In percentage terms, that was a higher in-state increase when looking only at tuition, but of course usually in-state and out-of-state pay the same room and board and other fees.

The final thing that leapt out to me was this:

OK, so apparently including this increasing percentage of higher-paying out-of-state students, these universities netted more in increased tuition revenue per student than they lost in state funding. But what if we looked just at in-state tuition revenue per student? It appears to me in marginal terms, the increases were much bigger among out-of-state tuition revenues per student. So it seems to me possible, likely in fact, that the increase in tuition revenue per in-state student was less than the decrease in state support per in-state student.

But these colleges were then able to make up for that decline in state support per in-state student, and more, with this out-of-state strategy.

Interesting.

2 Likes

Substituting xeriscaping and permaculture for expensive landscaping (Pitzer and Wesleyan University.)

Interestingly, that is in part a time period question.

There is a lot packed into these paragraphs in the middle of the article, but it is worth teasing out a bit:

OK, so first observation, in gross terms the annual increase in operating expenses dropped by like 2/3rds from the first decade to the second decade. The WSJ quickly attributes this to “the dual financial pressures of a recession and pandemic”, but I think this seems like a fertile area for a much more serious investigation into what was different.

Second observation, these gross operating expense numbers are apparently not controlling for student body expansions, which averaged out to about 20% in this period. Overall, the WSJ reports spending per student at the median school only rose 15% over both decades, much less than the gross increase.

So what would happen if we combined these observations? The WSJ doesn’t report that, but what was the change in spending per student over the first decade, versus the change in spending per student in the second decade?

I don’t know, but it is at least plausible it was quite a bit lower in the second decade. Indeed, off hand it seems like it could have been very close to zero, or indeed negative, per student over the last decade.

Or not. We don’t know because the WSJ did not break it down for us.

2 Likes

That’s a 15% rise in spending per student during a period of virtually negative inflation.

2 Likes

Purdue definitely has leveraged their OOS and international students to keep instate tuition low (going on year 12 of a COA freeze). Only 60% of students are instate at Purdue. That’s pretty low in comparison to the schools that have high instate mandates like TX and GA. There is quite a difference between in and out of state tuition - $9,992 vs $28,794 (and $31,104 for international). If Indiana suddenly mandated that Purdue accept 80% or more for instate, I think we’d see a rise in tuition.

There are lots of articles about the university keeping costs fixed (and some here will point out that they did increase the COA substantially in the years prior to the freeze in 2010) but not a lot of detail as to how they’ve done it. From a family perspective, what I’ve seen is that they are fundraising like crazy and hit new highs last year with philanthropic giving and research awards. Also lots of partnerships with industry not just to build labs, but also dorms. They’ve also increased enrollment and they have a huge online education presence. A healthy endowment (for a public university) doesn’t hurt either.

7 Likes

Between September 2002 and September 2022, CPI inflation totaled about 64%.

But I believe the WSJ is reporting these numbers inflation-adjusted, so it is true spending per student rose more than general inflation. Of course, colleges have changed over those 20 years as well. So that’s lacking what are sometimes called hedonic quality adjustments:

The hedonic quality adjustment method removes any price differential attributed to a change in quality by adding or subtracting the estimated value of that change from the price of the old item.

I don’t know how the spending increase per student would compare to general inflation if we implemented such hedonic quality adjustments. I note that is very hard to do in a rigorous way with what is known as a differentiated product market, as opposed to a commodity product market. And you can see at that link the BLS does not attempt any sort of hedonic quality adjustment for college tuition and fees.

I note the WSJ has a brief reference to online but they don’t go into it in detail. But that sure seems like a promising way for public colleges to get increases in marginal revenue higher than corresponding increases in marginal costs.

1 Like

One can hypothesize that “hedonic” quality increases tend to follow the upper-middle-class wherever they go.

2 Likes

One can hypothesize that “hedonic” quality increases tend to follow the upper-middle-class wherever they go.

Indeed, in the period we are talking, household income at the 80th percentile adjusted for inflation had gone up about 16%. At the 90th percentile, it had gone up about 21%.

Given this, it does in fact make sense that over the same period, inflation-adjusted spending per student at the sorts of colleges that these families use a lot would have gone up a similar percentage.

1 Like

By the way, inflation-adjusted household income went up about 4.7% over that period at the 25th percentile. At the 50th, it was about 8.9%.

And I continue to think this is really the main social issue with the cost of public college.

State-supported colleges competing for upper-middle-class students with pricey quality increases in line with those families’ increasing financial resources could make sense if that state was then willing to provide enough in terms of offsetting subsidies for its lower-income-to-middle-middle-income families.

And some states have kinda done that, but some not so much.

And in states where they have not done a good job with that, I think that is a serious problem.

3 Likes

But many schools with huge endowments still yearly increase tuition (Looking at you Michigan). What Purdue has been doing should at least be the start of a role model for the rest.

4 Likes

[Colleges your child crossed off the list after visiting, schools that moved up on the list. Why? - Parents Forum - College Confidential Forums](http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/t/colleges-your-child-crossed-off-the-list-after-visiting-schools-that-moved-up-on-the-list-why/

1 Like

Devouring money. That is a good summary. Spending as if everything is a priority and no tradeoffs need to be made.

2 Likes

What’s missing in the copy/paste are the graphics/charts.

Here is a link to the article without the paywall

The big issue (IMO) is that states allow their flagship to spend, and then don’t support that spending with financial support. Taxes are a dirty word, so better to fund “state education” with individual student loans than it is to raise revenue to support education.

4 Likes

Indeed. I also think tsbna44 did a nice job laying it out above. Public colleges competing for those lucrative full-pay out-of-state students and such are going to fall behind if they don’t address the sorts of things parents discuss in threads like that. And they are competing with each other but also privates which may be offering need-based aid up to higher income levels, merit scholarships, and so on.

And I know some would say public colleges just shouldn’t be in that game at all, but I do think this WSJ study, while not quite making this explicit, actually laid out the case for why so many public colleges felt the need to compete for those lucrative out-of-state students in order to make up for declining state support.

1 Like