Yale and New Haven Public School

@scambledegg For some reason (I’m not sure why) but based on what you said about your son I keep thinking about St. John’s College for him. It’s a very, very unique college – completely a “fit” school – where the curriculum is “great books” based and all seminar-based (I think). Two campuses – Annapolis and Santa Fe. I think the kids can choose one or switch between them. Both the state capitols of their respective states, so great for kids who like politics. Despite the name, the college has no religious affiliation.

Anyway, just wanted to throw it out there as something to consider.

St. John’s College | Liberal Arts College with a World-Class Faculty (sjc.edu)

2 Likes

In terms of suggestions for your son’s greater college list, these are some schools notable for their political science programs:

Regarding your son’s interest in writing, this site offers examples of colleges at which writing is an inherent feature of the curriculum: https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/writing-programs.

With respect to overall classroom experience, this survey-based ranking may offer you further ideas:

Looks super interesting and definitely fits into the category of safeties that are very different, but so small! 496!

According to College Navigator (the feds’ website) there were 473 undergrads at the Annapolis campus (source) and 368 at the Santa Fe campus (source).

And I think the students are able to switch between the campuses, so that may make it feel a bit larger (plus being in two separate locations).

But definitely a unique, specialized college. (And one I considered for myself a million years ago).

1 Like