Yale Class of 2025 — Regular Decision

congrats to your son! What state are you all from?

Congrats to your son! I was accepted SCEA as well, but I am waiting on a few RD’s too. Best of luck and maybe I will see him at Yale in the Fall!

1 Like

update on the topic :
My portal now shows my application as received.
So, it may be that the schools may take a day or two to process your documents and update the status on the applicant portal.

Hi - I was reading an article recently. Though it was for Stanford, I think that it can relate to the Ivy Leagues in general (How to Get Into Stanford with B's on Your Transcript: Failed Simulations & the Surprising Psychology of Impressiveness - Cal Newport). It definitely speaks to the subjectivity of admissions (ie. if one works for 3 hours a week and ends up publishing a renown book whilst someone else works every day for 5 hours at a job, the prior may be considered as being more “impressive” despite the other person having had more physical work).

In addition, colleges really do look to see if you have taken all of the opportunities of your personal and school demographic. I think that it serves more as a pull than a make or break; like for a white male and a person from your son’s school/neighborhood did he take every opportunity provided (with the AP 4s they want to understand why the scores hadn’t been higher - which is clear based on the commitments he may have had, but this is more of additional/interview information).

hi everyone! i’m an RD applicant! good luck to all of you!!

4 Likes

Harvard doesn’t have to be everyone’s first choice, lol. Yale is my dream school, but I didn’t apply early decision because of my positive grade trend; I’m aware that others are more academically consistent.

2 Likes

Would Yale admission’s give any consideration to applicants with outside scholarships (of course … with qualifying academic stats?)… I keep reading and hearing “need blind”.

also read something about “likely letters” from admissions for super selective candidates …

If the scholarship is associated with a competition that is particularly prestigious and selective, it would help, but no differently than a prestigious and selective award/recognition that did not have a scholarship attached.

Need blind just means that when they make decisions on students, they do so without regard to the students’ ability to pay or need for financial aid.

Very few likely letters are given. I would not bank on this.

Thanks for insight !!

What about thought of their ROTC units / programs and admission possibilities ?

Or Athletics in their admissions process ???

If you were a recruited athlete, you would have applied SCEA. Otherwise sports is an EC.

I believe they are disaggregated.

Thanks appreciate you’re feedback … truly do !!

Great points …

Aside from athletics for a moment …
What if the “ROTC” scholarship op came late in the process… before the option for RD (or SCEA) was an option ?

Can it be considered for the applicants ?

Also, sincerely appreciate your feedback!

Trying to learn as much as possible

What do you mean by your last reply though ?

Whether or not you succeed in obtaining an ROTC scholarship has no impact on whether or not Yale will accept you.

1 Like

Ok … thanks again !!

How do they actually fill their units ? In the event that a lower than expected amount apply to the ROTCs there?

Or their team rosters ??

I am not even suggesting, non qualifying (academics in this admissions process)

Can’t speak to the ROTC process, but I don’t think there is a set number of spots for ROTC candidates. As to sports teams, coaches use SCEA to fill their designated slots. If they are short, they can go down their list and offer support to someone further down the list.

1 Like

Athletic recruiting has been going on for this class of 2025 for months, and in some sports, years. The athletic recruits usually know if they’re recruited (via likely letter) before the SCEA deadlines or before the SCEA decisions come out.

2 Likes

And many colleges have a robust walk-on contingent on their teams. There are only so many “recruited” athletes and the rest of the team is built with walk-ons that are found via try outs once students are already on campus.

1 Like

Thank you all !!

Thank you