Yale Class of 2025 — Regular Decision

is writing a letter of continued interest a good idea? i vaguely remember hearing that yale doesn’t necessarily like receiving anything from applicants that isn’t necessary and loci’s aren’t worth writing. but i could totally be wrong.

1 Like

A letter that only says you really want to attend is not going to help. If something has happened, an award or accomplishment that was not on your original app, you should provide that type of update.

2 Likes

For Yale, if your family’s income is below $60,000 annually, everything is entirely covered. I would say Yale is by far the most need-blind school ever.

I was wondering if anyone got an interview yet for Yale RD. I know that timing doesn’t necessarily matter - unless given very close to the final decision release date - but I just wanted to get a sense of when they are beginning the process as a whole

We just got a notice from the AO Monday that interview assignments were just about to commence.

" Happy New Year! Now with the January 2nd Regular Decision deadline behind us, we are ready to begin a new round of interviewing. You should soon begin to receive assignments from your local director. Because of the increase in applications - as in Early Action - our RD process will work differently than in years past. Thank you in advance for reading this long email!

1. Interviews will continue to be conducted virtually for the Regular Decision round, no matter the local conditions in any of our ASCs.

2. Notification emails to assigned interviewers will go out once per day, around 10am ET on weekdays and 12pm ET on weekends…"

3 Likes

Good luck to all of those who receive interviews. I absolutely loved my alumni interview during SCEA. Relax and enjoy the process.

Thanks the your insight once again !!!

I am new to this thread. Does everyone gets an interview from Yale? Those who applied via regular route, have they already rec’d interview?

It sounds as if there is another increase in apps. It will be interesting to hear the numbers when all is said and done.

Do you think deferred applicants will receive an Interview (if they had not received one in REA round?) Did their communication to you give you any insight on that? Thanks!

Not addressed in email.

Kiddo got his request for interview today- interviewer is a retired lawyer (kiddo wants to be a doctor). Hopefully it goes well and this is the boost to give them all the info they want/need to accept him <3

3 Likes

Does everyone get interviews? Or is it just based on availability?

This is what Yale says:

Because of limited virtual interviewing capacity, the Office of Undergraduate Admissions will prioritize interviews for students for whom the Admissions Committee needs more information

1 Like

That’s what the interviewer told my son today. He had a great interview with the alumnus so that was good.

So we are choosing to look at it like this:
at least it isn’t an automatic decline sign!

2 Likes

Ivy Day has been announced as April 6. Likely the result of an increase in applications.

https://admissions.cornell.edu/news/update-ivy-league-common-notification-date

Yale, Stanford, Harvard have all delayed results as a result of increase in applications. Harvard has received 57,000 applications instead of the 40,000 applications it receives in a typical year.

What is the reason for the sudden increase in applications?

Test-Optional!

Test optional

Hmm… interesting. I was speculating that it could be because of people who took a gap year due to covid.

If it is because it is test-optional, then I wonder if less prestigious colleges are seeing a corresponding decrease in applications, if large numbers of students have “shifted upwards”, i.e., are applying to more selective colleges.

If so it might be easier to get into the second/third tiers of colleges this year.