Yale vs Princeton vs Stanford, Brown vs UPenn vs Columbia [political science, pre-law]

Hi everyone!
I recently got admitted into all six of these schools among some others. I think I’ve narrowed it down to Yale, Princeton, Stanford, Brown, Penn, and Columbia (and just maybe Northwestern). However, I’m pretty much at a loss here. I’m a US citizen applying from abroad so I have no home state, ergo no immediate preference for location. It’s really more about the school itself.

Some key points:

• I want to major in political science
  • I want to get involved in lots of theater
  • I want a thriving LGBTQ+ community
  • I simply want a school where there are many options for social life and not one factor dominates it
  • I’m looking for a school with strong peer-support and advising programs as well as excellent pre-law advising
  • Some school spirit would be really nice! I don’t care too much about athletics but I think campus traditions and generally loving everything about your school is something I really want to be a part of.
  • The weather isn’t a huge factor but I would appreciate input on whether others think it should be a really big deal or not.
  • I’m going to be a 21-year-old freshman- so I would love a school where that wouldn’t be a problem at all socially and otherwise. I don’t see it as a problem, but I don’t know if maybe some schools generally are more accepting than others in that regard.

Thank you so much! I would appreciate any help. Especially from current students and/or alumni but generally anyone who knows about these schools. The May 1st deadline is coming quickly!

Not having a home state doesn’t have to mean no preference on location: for example you might prefer a west or east coast for travel home; you might be an outdoorsy or a city type person, etc.

How did you write what were obviously compelling ‘why us’ essays but have no idea now as to how to tell those schools apart now? All of your options will broadly meet your criteria, but which really matter to you?

Some of your list are minor enough points not to be differentiators: pre-law advising will be fine everywhere (it’s not rocket science, and these are all top-tier schools); weather is only an issue if it is one for you; all of these schools have some amount of school spirit and some number of students who are too cool for school spirit; all of them have good poli sci departments, all of them have a broad range of social life options, and all of them have strong LGBTQ+ communities.

That leaves being involved in theatre, and for that my vote would go to Yale or Princeton- but be honest with yourself as to whether that is the most important metric to you.

Have you looked at the Columbia core, and does it fill your heart with delight? To me that’s a bigger ‘does it suit you’ metric. Your mention pre-law advising, which might imply that you would like a Penn-type pre-professional vibe, but is that really what you are looking for?

1 Like

Yale.

2 Likes

I vote Yale. Only because my son goes there and he loves it! He is LGBTQ and loves theater. The residential system is amazing. He has already met so many amazing people. He is not sure of his major yet but probably history and maybe law. He loves everything about Yale and never wants to leave. Congrats on your acceptances. Amazing!

4 Likes

Not Princeton, as a 21 year old Freshman you’ll want thriving and diverse graduate schools. I’d weed out Stanford and NW also. Subjectively, I also vote Yale, Boola Boola!

2 Likes

I’m typically a bit partial to Princeton in these matchups of behemoths because they are the most undergrad-focused, but based on what you wrote I think that Yale is probably your best bet.

But if you can, visit them.

1 Like

Columbia ticks all of the boxes. Many of the students are older (especially because of the GS students), so you wouldn’t stick out. The only thing missing would be the lackluster school spirit.

But you really can’t go wrong here. Good luck!

3 Likes

Yale. Political science, law, theater, all excellent. Incredibly diverse and active community, vibrant social life. Seems an easy choice to me. Congratulations!

3 Likes

Thank you for this truly eye-opening response. I think deep inside I know where I feel I’ll fit in most but I truly still want to do more research now that I know I actually got into all of these incredible schools.

Short and to the point😂

Thank you so much! This was very helpful😀

That’s interesting! As one who is partial to Princeton, I actually would love to hear your feedback about Yale the most. Why do you think that is my best bet based on what I wrote?

Very very true!

Thank you so so much! I’m so grateful for all these responses.

Well – Yale isn’t your only good option obviously, but I think it’s the best:

• I want to major in political science – Yale is great at this. Honestly, all of these would be just fine for Poli Sci. Check course catalogs and requirements to really zero in on academic fit, if it concerns you.

• I want to get involved in lots of theater – Yale is kind of the Ivy Diva, the one most known for music and drama and arts in general

• I want a thriving LGBTQ+ community – That exists at Yale, maybe moreso than at any other Ivy except maybe Brown.

• I simply want a school where there are many options for social life and not one factor dominates it. Yale has the residential colleges, Princeton has the eating clubs. But Yale is in a bigger city with more to do. // UPenn is the Social Ivy. Columbia is in freaking Manhattan. Brown is on a hill in Providence. The Bay Area is accessible to Stanford, but it’s a hike.

• I’m looking for a school with strong peer-support and advising programs as well as excellent pre-law advising. They’ll all have that.

• Some school spirit would be really nice! I don’t care too much about athletics but I think campus traditions and generally loving everything about your school is something I really want to be a part of. *Yale and Harvard have quite a rivalry going on the gridiron. Ivy League sports will provide plenty of rah-rah opportunities. As D1, Stanford wins the sports title among these. Though I’m not sure how easy it is to get game tickets at any of these schools.

Most kids who attend these schools love them, and they all have their traditions – especially the Ivies, since they are so old. At Columbia, you’re supposed to find the owl in the statue’s cloak, for instance.

Weather – The basic difference is that the Ivies will offer four distinct seasons while Stanford has the California uniseason. If you own a coat, a hat and some gloves, you’ll be fine. Sweaters in the fall and spring. Go with Vivaldi on this one – Four Seasons. That’s this native Wisconsinite’s opinion.

None of these would be a bad choice – I just think that topically at least, you are best suited for Yale.

4 Likes

Yale.

1 Like

Thank you for this! I guess I’ll have to decide by May 1st either way!:slight_smile:

1 Like

So that you know, I considered your post carefully before offering my recommendation.

2 Likes

Law school is (nearly) all about GPA + LSAT. Prelaw advising is not worth considering.

For highest mean GPA pick Brown or Yale.

3 Likes

Olaf - I am curious. Were you able to visit the schools?

How did you find material to write about in the “why xyz school” prompts? Did you look up professors in departments you are interested in?

1 Like