Applying to Oxford, London School of Economics

My pleasure.

Note I started off with general reputation because, unlike in the US, in the UK subject field reputation is not a widespread phenomena.

Most people just tend to know and acknowledge general reputation in the UK because we really only have about 150 universities, of which only about 30 are seen as well-above the rest (i.e. the group of Elite plus respected universities).

Unlike the US that has over 4,000 (of which about 1,400 offer four year degree) and with about 100 universities/colleges being well-above the rest. Which has led to subject rankings required for delineating amongst these ~100.

The only few exception cases in the UK where some fields have a select group of universities being exceptional/in their own league are:

Mathemetics: Cambridge, Oxford, Imperial and Warwick
Economics: Cambridge, Oxford, LSE, UCL and Warwick
Engineering: Cambridge, Imperial, Oxford and UCL
Medicine and Public Health: Oxford, Imperial, Cambridge, UCL, KCL and Edinburgh
Neuroscience and Psychology: UCL, KCL, Oxford, Cambridge and Cardiff
Law: Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, UCL, KCL and Durham
International Relations: Oxford, LSE, Aberyswyth and St Andrews
War Studies: KCL
Creative Writing and Journalism: East Anglia and City UoL
Education: UCL, Oxford, Cambridge and KCL

History is not one of such fields with some universities being exceptional. So like the rest of the other academic fields, just use the universities general reputation to make your jugdement and you will likely hit the right mark if you get in.

For general reputation, here are the prestige/reputation tiers:

Tier 1: Oxford and Cambridge

Tier 2: LSE, Imperial and UCL

Tier 3: Edinburgh and KCL

Tier 4: St Andrews, Durham, Warwick, Bristol, Manchester

Tier 5: Bath, Nottingham, Leeds, SOAS, Birmingham, Cardiff and about 12 more universities