Colleges for the Jewish "B" student (Part 1)

<p>I have been debating for a time about starting a thread such as this. On one hand, I want to make sure I have considered every college this should be on my son's list. On the other hand, every time this topic comes up there a lot of posters who criticize the need for such a thread. So, I make this request - if you are interested in this topic - have good ideas - please contribute. If you feel this type of thread is not necessary - then I guess there is no reason for you to post on it, right? (Said gently!)</p>

<p>So, for my "B" student - considering Elon, College of Charleston, James Madison and Muhlenberg. All have a reasonable number of Jewish students and an active Hillel.</p>

<p>Ithaca has been suggested - not sure that he wants to head that far north - but it is a maybe. Drew is another possibility - but it might be too small.</p>

<p>I also like things I have heard about Gettysburg and Susquehanna in general - but not as sure about the Jewish piece. These schools have Hillels, but their reported Jewish populations are under 100 students.</p>

<p>Considering Salisbury as our in-state super safety school - but have no data on number of Jewish students.</p>

<p>So, I'd love feedback from parents and students who are familiar with Jewish life and the Hillels at these schools. If I have overlooked some - please fill me in. We are trying to stay in the mid-Atlantic region and trying to aim for colleges larger than 2000 students and below 15,000. He might be a business/management/marketing major - but that is certainly not definite.</p>

<p>I would definitely add Clark and Goucher to your list. Both might seem a little smaller than what you’ve initially identified but they are both very special schools. Clark has the smaller Jewish population but has an active Hillel</p>

<p>Sizes might not be right, but possibly Goucher and Pitt. </p>

<p>When we visited Muhlenberg, D1 loved their Hillel. Don’t know much about the others you’ve listed. </p>

<p>Is FA/merit aid a consideration? How “B” is his GPA: is that weighted or unweighted?</p>

<p>Yes - FA will be a consideration for any of the pricier schools - such as Gettysburg. Right now, finishing up 10th grade with a 3.5 UW and about 3.9 W. Many honors classes - trying first AP next year. Hoping he will get 28-29 on the ACT. Active in BBYO - but not a lot of ECs - no hook or other extraordinary achievements. Just a nice average kid!</p>

1 Like

<p>Check out Guilford College. although it’s outside of your target area. Seems like a super school for B students, one of the “Colleges that Change Lives.” My nephew (a Rabbi’s son) goes there. Seems to have a pretty active Hillel and he feels very comfortable. Of course, I don’t have any direct observation.</p>

<p>I know a number of Jewish students from Long Island at Towson. Could this be an in-state safety, also? Looked at their Fall 2009 and Spring 2010 calendar…seemed to be an event almost every week…and a Shabbat event at least once a month.</p>

<p>I think Towson is an interesting example of negative in-state bias - I have kind of a negative perception of it - but it is not really fact-based - you make a good point - if Salisbury is on the list - I should think about Towson as well.</p>

<p>I have heard that Franklin & Marshall is a good one too.</p>

<p>I’ll put out URochester, if he’s willing to head north, and add another vote for Clark and Elon. I take it your S doesn’t want to be some place as large as UMD. Would he look at UMBC?</p>

<p>A couple kids from our shul are very happy at Pitt.</p>

<p>Have you seen this from the Reform Judaism magazine? <a href=“http://reformjudaismmag.org/_kd/Items/actions.cfm?action=Show&item_id=1518&destination=ShowItem[/url]”>http://reformjudaismmag.org/_kd/Items/actions.cfm?action=Show&item_id=1518&destination=ShowItem&lt;/a&gt;
Be sure to scroll all the way over to the right for a list of the top 20 by percent. I wasn’t familiar with Lesley University.</p>

<p>This might be helpful to you:
[Hillel’s</a> Guide to Jewish Life on Campus](<a href=“http://www.hillel.org/HillelApps/JLOC/Search.aspx]Hillel’s”>http://www.hillel.org/HillelApps/JLOC/Search.aspx)</p>

<p>Some possibilities: American U, Goucher, George Washington U, Lehigh, U of Pittsburgh, Franklin & Marshall, Syracuse, Boston U, Clark.</p>

<ol>
<li><p>3.5uw/3.9w at the end of 10th grade, especially for a boy, isn’t what this particular Jew would describe as a “B student”. Of course, you know your kid and his school, and I don’t.</p></li>
<li><p>More votes here for Pitt (especially its honors program), and Franklin & Marshall. Also, the other “hot” second-tier LAC in Southeastern Pennsylvania these days seems to be Ursinus. The Jewish kids I know there all seemed to be happy last I heard, although I know zip about Hillel there (and quite possibly neither did they). Ithaca, too. Rochester, absolutely, especially if he is a very academic sort of B student.</p></li>
<li><p>Heading south, I know that Jewish kids have gone from here to Elon, but I don’t know how they liked it, and they were closer to 2.5 than 3.5 students. I would think about Tulane and Emory (the latter being something of a reach). I have fairly observant relatives who moved to South Carolina a few years ago. Their B-student youngest child applied to College of Charleston, but ultimately decided she would rather not go to college than go there – I’m not sure why. (Rochester took her off the waiting list, so her resolve was never tested. She really liked Rochester.)</p></li>
</ol>

<p>I second (third? fourth?) the suggestion of Clark. We were prepared not to like it given its location in Worcester MA, but D and I both loved it. D was amused by the “Hookah in the Sukkah” posters we saw on our October visit :wink: Also, hands down the best food we ate on any college campus.</p>

<p>JHS - not sure I followed your comment - he gets mostly "B"s - so I refer to him as a “B” student. I’m looking for colleges that are not ultra-competitive - but still considered decent schools.</p>

<p>Tulane has been a thought - just concerned about the distance. Pitt really seems to be up and coming - I hear so much about it lately. Thanks for all of the suggestions.</p>

<p>Any comments on Jewish life at Susquehanna or Gettysburg?</p>

<p>I guess I don’t see Rochester, Tulane, or Emory as place where B students have much shot today. I think you are looking a tier lower at American and the like. Indiana seems to be hot for those who used to look at Wisconsin.</p>

<p>U MD Baltimore County is a good option. As is U Delaware, though Delaware might be too big? Assume you’ve considered these, as they are in your back door, yes?</p>

<p>It really depends on the school and the rigor of the classes taken- Montgomery County, MD has some extremely competitive school districts where a weighted 3.9 would not put one out of the running at ANY of the schools mentioned (even Brandeis, if a boy and ED). </p>

<p>I’d add Syracuse and Union to the list. Delaware has an undergrad population just slightly over your range and has a very pretty campus and the feel of a private school. Drexel and Northeastern (for their business coops). BU and GW (for business). </p>

<p>Arizona is another hot place for those who used to look at Wisconsin. </p>

<p>I happen to know a Jewish kid who is not too happy at all at Susquehanna, but that is just anecdotal.</p>

<p>Maybe Boston University?</p>

<p>“B” student encompasses a lot of territory, and a “B” student with a 3.5 UW/3.9 W does have a shot at Rochester and Tulane. Given the OP’s son’s ACT scores, possibly more Tulane than Rochester, and I get the impression that Tulane may be more generous with merit money. Emory is reachier (as JHS says), but a lot will depend on how similar students at the OP’s son’s school do in admissions. </p>

<p>Would going west be of interest? Lots of Jewish kids from the west coast at U of Arizona and ASU. But these are larger schools than desired. (and I just looked at roshke’s post which makes the same point).</p>