Time to Degree % Grads Ave. GPA Time to Degree % Grads Ave. GPA
2+ to 3 Years 3.6% 3.73 Up to 2 Years 30.7% 3.63
3+ to 4 Years 54.4% 3.61 2+ to 3 Years 5.7% 3.44
4+ to 5 Years 3.9% 3.23 3+ to 4 Years 0.7% 3.07
5+ to 6 Years 0.6% 3.18 4+ to 5 Years 0.3% 3.19
Total 62.5% Total 37.5%
Average GPA 3.588 3.586
Totals Both Cohorts 3.588

This is partially meant for you @LisaMBA, as per your response in the thread “I had a horrible time at UCLA.” Edit: And additionally, 84.5% of the 2018 entering cohort from high school graduated in ≤ four years, mostly at four years.

2 Likes

On the page at Graduation & Time to Degree | UCLA Academic Planning and Budget they show this table for transfer students

ucla table

1 Like

I’m sorry, I just figured out that you were putting in some added information, not to contradict what I stated. An approximate 73-75% for xfers is very good.

I didn’t post the graduation rates by cohort, except for the “four-years-and-less,” which I listed as 84.5% of those who entered in 2018, which is pretty hot.

Btw, here’s the missing link, if you’d click on the tab called “Rates” and put in “Los Angeles” as campus. The gpa and cohort information is at the bottom of the data if you hover the cursor over the line graph.

This is very valuable data. I’m not having any luck finding similar stats for other UCs/CPSLO. I would appreciate any help. Thanks!

one way to look up data like this is do a web search for “XXX institutional data” where XXX is the name of the college. Then explore the links. Schools can have all kinds of data out there.

For example one eventually took me to the rates tab at Undergraduate graduation rates | University of California which gives data similar to this for all UCs and for CSU there is Workbook: Graduation Rates Dashboard

You may need to use caution when interpreting the data and I don’t know if it tells a story about the school or the students. Back in the early 80’s the 4-year graduation rate at UCLA wasn’t anywhere near as high as it is now. I think there were two reasons; college was significantly less expensive, and they were pretty lax on minimum progress. Many kids had the idea all along of staying 5 years and just took 3 classes a quarter instead of a full load of 4. Due to the echo-boom jump in enrollment UCLA wanted to get kids thru faster and put in strict minimum progress rules keeping everyone on track to earn enough units to graduate in 4 years. Not all the UCs even today have minimum progress standards as strict.

1 Like

Back in the early 1980s, UCs, including UCLA and UCB, were nowhere near as selective in academic criteria for admission as they are now. So it is not surprising that graduation rates have increased as admission selectivity has increased. The increased cost was an additional deterrent to taking extra time, although even in the 1980s, they were trying minimum progress requirements and total credit unit limits.

1 Like

@mikemac I tried this and am finding more data. Thanks!