I should know this, but best credit card for a college student

My 20 year old wants to build her credit. I know I can add her as an authorized user on mine, a couple of my kids are added, but sometimes accidentally use my card (like on an Uber app with both cards on it). She is working two jobs this summer.

I don’t know if it is the best one, but my S23 (turning 19 next month) just got a Chase Student Visa. I found the process a bit annoying because he applied, they almost immediately declined him, but when he called to ask about it they immediately approved it. :roll_eyes: He has had it for two months with problem so far.

3 Likes

Both my kids got Discover cards when they were college seniors, but used them sparingly; both had part-time jobs, and paid off their charges on a monthly basis (or so they told me).

You can probably Google “best student credit cards” and get a large list of links to review.

2 Likes

I put both of mine on joint cards through credit union. They were low balance initially.

3 Likes

Oh! They did this to my kids, too! I didnt know to call them. One of mine had a job earning over 100k a yr, and they STILL wouldnt issue a first card! Had to go into the bank where they had a checking account receiving direct deposit, and work with the branch banker to finally get a credit card.

1 Like

I remember my 25 year old was denied his first attempt, didn’t know he could call, good to know.

To build her credit score, adding her to your cards (like your other kids) is the easiest way to do that. @oldfort had written a good response awhile back on another thread about how helpful that can be.

1 Like

It was absolutely ridiculous. My son currently makes over $20,000 a year at his part-time job, and has close to $10,000 cash just sitting in the bank, not to mention what he has in college savings, etc. They sent him a letter that said they were sorry they would have to deny him because he did not have enough money. I was quite proud of him. He called on his own and said, “excuse me, I got this letter saying I couldn’t have a credit card because I don’t have enough money. But you must’ve made a mistake because I have lots of money.” :joy: They said, “OK. Do you have housing expenses or do you live with your parents?” He said he lived with us and they approved it.

ETA: I had heard somewhere, I don’t remember where, that the people on the phone actually have quite a bit of leeway that the automatic system does not have. Someone told us that it always makes sense to call if you are denied for something credit related.

2 Likes

My daughter has the Discover student card. I believe there’s a cash back feature. She was approved for $1000 limit. As far as I know it is still at that limit a year later, but that’s more than enough for her spending.

(She also has an authorized card on my Amex she can use for emergencies.)

7 Likes

The best credit card is the one that works​:joy::credit_card:.

We took our kids to our bank, Bank of America. They both picked a visa that gave airlines mile points and never looked back. After a few years in college and recently graduated their credit scores are over 820 and we never had to cosign for them for anything. They both worked part time college jobs. We did have them sit down and have the young banker talk to them independently on the best way to build credit. They were tied to our account initially. But they would get coffee /Starbucks and proclaim “we are building credit” :joy::coffee:… We also didn’t critique their purchases but it did give us a clue to help guide them per se…

They are both young responsible adults now. We at least did this correctly… Lol

3 Likes

She did mention something about airline points. H is a financial advisor, oldest is a cpa and the next has a degree in finance. She is a finance major (I believe, she’s moved something’s around s se can start taking her actuarial exams next month). She’s also ridiculously frugal (she pays her rent/food/ entertainment at college herself).

They are always frugal when it’s “their” money right? :dollar::money_mouth_face:…wish they would of been that way with “my” money…lol.

I think it was like points for stuff or travel and they see us use our travel points all the time since we have a business and can gain lots of free tickets this way that we use for vacations etc.

We have friend’s that their kids even after college are having a hard time establishing good credit,since they didn’t want their kids have their own credit cards. Ugh…

Good luck with your child.

2 Likes

I believe Discover is the easiest to get for students. The credit card companies were less strict in 2016 when older S was applying. USAA gave him one when he was 18, no problem. 3 years later when younger S applied, he was denied. Same profile. I just added him to my USAA and he got a Discover card without any issues.

But you could also add her as an authorized user to your card - and just not give her the card!

I sort of feel bad because younger S got to piggyback off my credit score, while older S had to build his up, all on his own. It was good enough (over the excellent line) by the time he graduated, but still… oh well.

2 Likes

One more vote for Discover.

6 Likes

yes, my ds also has discover

4 Likes

DD’17 applied for a “student” card, maybe Capital One, and yes was declined for lack of credit. She was able to get a Discover It card no problem. So DD’19 did too.

We’d also had them on one of our cards.

1 Like

My oldest became an authorized user when she did a study abroad in Greece, which was before Zelle. My 3rd was an authorized user when she flew to Italy by herself and kept the card for emergencies (always asks before using for anything). It would make sense to add my 20 year old and let her keep it only because she’s 12 hours away at college. I could also add her twin, but he lives here and for whatever reason is not good with money (unlike his parents and siblings). I am not going to encourage him to apply for his own card yet, he started freshman year of college with $10 after working full time all summer long (he was back home in October anyway).

2 Likes
3 Likes

Just a little “safety” tip.
If you trust your kid, along with getting the card that’s theirs, which I assume will have a low limit, you should make sure they have access to a card with a higher limit, in case last minute flight reservations need to be made, for example.

4 Likes

I don’t believe it was mentioned earlier, but I read that the time your credit card account is open transfers to the authorized user. In other words, if you are going to add your child, pick a card you have had open for a long time. This gives the student a longer and better credit history to start with as the begin building their own.

3 Likes