Reality check: What's it actually like at ____ now that your kid is enrolled ?

Just checking in. Did all of the Class of 2023 parents get to attend parent weekend? Loyola University made the mistake of calling theirs “family weekend” so we brought along grandma, grandpa, Abuela, and an aunt. Can you tell she is our first child? Lol. We had a blast in New Orleans. Did a jazz cruise and enjoyed a jazz club on Bourbon Street, but also did some of the “official” family weekend events, including a nice family breakfast and a concert. I was able to sit in on a music industry class which was very cool. Students were given a big group project that day in which they had to make a press kit and market a song or album. Seemed pretty intense for Freshman year but my daughter was loving it! The recording studios were quite impressive.

The first semester has been going well. She has been involved with a music collective and a songwriting ensemble and has performed at some local coffee house shows which is nice. She joined an online babysitting group so she gets weekly babysitting gigs for extra money to support her social life because mom made it clear SHE is in charge of spending money. She has a boyfriend who attends Tulane and they were going to the library together the other night when I called, so I guess that’s a good sign. Lol. She registers for the Spring semester today-hard to believe!

Sadly, my daughter is unable to come home for Thanksgiving. The airfare prices were costly (although I would have happily splurged) and she has finals in early December so we couldn’t really justify it. She was fine with staying there and hanging with some friends. So the last time we saw her was for family weekend (end of September) and won’t see her again until she comes home December 14th! It has been REALLY hard not seeing her and attending shows and concerts as we are used to! I think she struggled a little when she was sick a few times and needed that “spoiling” but she got through it. They have a short winter break and return January 5th (due to having the week of Mardi Gras off) so I feel like I get a raw deal! But she is so happy and really loves Loyola so I can’t really complain.

I wish she would call, text or FaceTime more but when we do connect it’s a very nice conversation. She even sent me a text last weekend that said “I just want you to know I how much I appreciate you.” Awwww. I joked with my husband that she might be drunk texting. Haha.

I was just thinking back to where we all were at this time last year (stress city!) and I’m hoping all of your hard work paid off and your kids found the perfect college home and are happy now and adjusting well.

Hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

2 Likes