Truthful advice about getting into top colleges, for your "average" excellent student

I created a thread back in 6/14, when my D was just thinking about college. We didn’t have many ideas about what colleges to look at, so I asked CC users to give suggestions. I know now, but didn’t realize then, that she is NOT exceptional in any way (except to us, of course:-). Great suggestions poured in, here is the original thread: http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/college-search-selection/1658573-where-do-the-cool-kids-go-to-college-p6.html
To see where she applied, read post #83. To see where she has been accepted, read post #163. She hasn’t made her final decision yet. I will update when she does.

Thus began a process of educating us both about the realities of getting into top colleges in America today. At the time, I thought my kid had very good stats. She does, but they are nothing special compared to the Ivy-obsessed students on CC, all wondering how to get into HYPSM. We were learning but still ignorant. We began visiting colleges, and like many people, we looked at the “super hard to get into” ones first. Soon, we realized it was important to look at the “not as hard to get into” ones, which were more difficult to pin down. Eventually, she came up with a list of 12. The list had 2 dream schools, 3 “realistic” reaches, 5 matches, and 2 safeties.

By the time she applied, we were far more educated, but the damage had been done.:wink: We had already visited the dream schools, and she liked them. To our credit, we were always knew they were difficult to get into. As we learned more, we began to understand that she had virtually no chance.

A couple of match schools stayed on the list that she really shouldn’t have applied to. It became apparent that she had no real interest in them, even if accepted. But they had app fee waivers, so she applied. Apps are a lot of work, so it was wasted time.

Meanwhile, I spent a shocking amount of time on CC and other websites and became more and more informed. Here is the biggest lesson I learned, and I say it sincerely, without envy or bitterness:
Your excellent student, in a good school district, with excellent test scores, grades, and a range of ECs is very, very unlikely to get into any school with an acceptance rate under 20%. UNLESS the kid is, or does, something exceptional, or is hooked.

Note what makes these students in our HS “exceptional”: U Penn girl, recruited for sport in tenth grade. MIT girl, RD, Intel science contestant. Cornell boys, ED, cool websites that many people used, great students. Columbia girl, RD, amazing student. Brown guy, ED, truly gifted in many areas, very clever and intellectual. The surprise Harvard guy is a good student, but not stellar. Class pres. He had many very committed ECs that showed his interests. Think it was probably ED and that his great personality must have come through in his essays and recs. Vanderbilt girl, ED, recruited for sport. Now, for the one kid who had nothing “exceptional”, except stellar grades and test scores: “Under 15% acceptance rate” LAC girl, RD, valedictorian, nearly 2400 SAT, denied at all Ivies and Tufts.

My D was accepted to 7 in all, 5 with merit aid. 1 of those was a reach (25% acceptance rate, and her stats were at about the 60th percentile for that school.) She was waitlisted at 3, including her top two “realistic” reaches, and a match school. Denied at the 2 dream schools. She has wonderful choices and is very happy about her results, except for being waitlisted at her top 2. She knows the chances of getting off WL are slim, and will try, (tbh, I don’t think she will try that hard), but is proceeding as though that won’t happen.

Here is what I hope you can take away from our experience:
Do not let your kid invest all his hopes in a tippy top school, unless something about your child is exceptional, or he has a hook. By all means apply, but ensure your kid understands that he has very little chance of getting in. It is CRITICAL to apply to an appropriate range of colleges. Every year around this time, students post threads called “why didn’t I get in anywhere?” The kids are truly shocked, because they usually have great stats and applied to top 20 colleges, assuming that at least one would work out. The more sensible ones applied to maybe one safety that they don’t seem to like, but threw in just in case.

Don’t waste time and money visiting a lot of reach schools. Your efforts will be much better spent visiting match and safety schools, because there is a good chance your child will end up at one of them. They need to know what the match and safety schools offer and see if they like them. I think in general, we actually did most things right, except for visiting too many reach schools and submitting too many applications. When we do this again with my S in a couple of years, I will especially discourage those two things. I will encourage my S to be committed to a few good ECs, as I think they really do matter. Remember also, good grades and test scores matter, a LOT. I am very sure my D wouldn’t have been accepted or waitlisted to her “realistic” reaches if she hadn’t had very good test scores. In addition, if my S likes one school above all others, I will encourage the use of the ED card, as long as the school is within the realm of possibility for his stats.

Another last piece of obvious, but overlooked advice: colleges want to admit people they like! Be likable, be genuine, (this applies to the essay especially). Tell your kid to get recs from teachers who really like them, who they like in return. I am sure this is why Harvard kid was accepted. I am actually pretty sure this must be why my D was accepted to her reach school, which had no supplemental essays. Her teachers must have written good recs, and they must have liked her essay. Apart from her test scores and course rigor, we can’t think of any other reason why she was accepted. Good luck to all of you as you work through this long and crazy process!

6 Likes

Good advice. Sounds like it has been quite a journey - a good one. Not dissimilar to what we have gone through over the past 3 years with my kids.

I agree - i think the essays and recommendations are the reasons my kids were accepted to a couple of their schools.

In our town (and all over the Northeast, I suspect), a smart, hard working white or asian girl with good/great stats is a dime a dozen. Actually, I think the same is applies to the boys as well.

We have a number of young men and women who are still shell shocked that they did not get into certain schools. It was all so predictable, and unfortunate that their parents did not “get it”. I know of one mother who is embarrassed her daughter was only accepted to UVA. It’s heartbreaking.

Thanks for taking the time to post this.

I like that one.

@Themclos , I happen to be good friends with the mom of the valedictorian I mentioned above, who got into no Ivies. She called me to vent, and said her husband was upset. She was also worried that kids would be cruel and say stuff to her D, like “you’re the Val, and you didn’t get into an Ivy.” In fact, the Val wasn’t ever really interested in applying to the Ivies at all. It was her dad who pushed it, and the Val is very happy with the (in fact, three) prestigious LACs she has been accepted to. That is what she really wanted all along. At the end of the conversation, I said to my friend, “seems like the real issue is that your husband’s pride has been wounded.” She laughed and agreed. And no one has said anything mean to the Val, luckily.

The process has been similar with my daughter, who probably applied to too many reaches. I mentioned on another thread that one of the (white) girls at my daughter’s school who got into an Ivy has a book coming out with a major publisher. This fits your theory.

@Lindagaf - you know, the kids are incredibly supportive of each other. They understand the pressure some kids put on themselves and the pressure some parents put on kids. Sure, there are a couple of insensitive kids (putting it nicely), but they are few and far between, and everybody knows who they are.

@delurk1 , haha! I like that you are giving my theory credibility.:slight_smile: I definitely wish now that I had discouraged at least one of the dream schools, but of course, it was too late. By taking her to visit in the first place, it gave her false hope. In our case, it was not realizing the truth of my “theory”, and instead just looking at the stats of admitted students. That was misleading, because on paper, her stats worked.

I agree with this sentiment. I also think there are outstanding schools that most students reject. Had you placed the students in some of the schools without telling them the name of the school, they would probably be thrilled to be there. That isn’t to say that all schools are basically alike. I don’t think that is the case at all. And I think it is critical that schools are honest to students about the school’s strengths and weaknesses just as the schools want students to be straightfoward about their own strenghts and weaknesses. But sometimes the name of the school is the most salient aspect of it for some students-and that can lead to mis-matches. Learning what each school has to offer is key for selecting schools to apply to and relying more on the characteristics of the school rather than it’s name appeal is likely to result in a better match for most students

People may just need to understand statistics more. The US is a big country and there are more kids in the top 1% than there are places in all the Ivies and private Ivy-equivalents (MIT, Stanford, Northwetsern, Chicago, Duke + some LACs). And many of those who get in there have some hooks or special achievements. And many others applied ED. And scores aren’t that big a differentiator. So these days, if you’re non-hooked/non-special, you really can’t expect to get in to those schools RD (arguably HYPSM in general; some do, but I’d put the chances at closer to 1% than 10% and those who get in likely had crazy-good recs/essays/“spark”).

A decade ago, if you were top 1%, the tippy-top was already not guaranteed, but UMich probably would have been there.
These days, for the top 1%, I’d be surprised only by denials to McGill and St. Andrews.

BTW, I don’t think LAC girl did badly at all. I rate several LACs as Ivy-equivalents and the WAS LACs as close to HYPSM-equivalent.

I agree @lostaccount . In fact, of the 12 colleges my D applied to, we only discovered some of them when people responded to my original post. Then I got the Fiske guide and that is how I learned of some of the others my D applied to. To refer to the previously mentioned Val again, her own parents had never heard of two of the LACs she got accepted to, until she applied! And one of them is super famous in the US.

Even in my area, where people generally are pretty knowledgable of the best colleges, two of the wonderful ones my kid applied to drew blanks from almost everyone. My kid’s friends teased her and said “why on earth would you want to go to college in Minnesota?” Well, because it’s a flipping amazing school!

@PurpleTitan , LAC girl did amazingly well! Don’t worry about her, she is quite happy:-) (good friend of my kid, so first hand knowledge.) If you read my repsonse above, she only applied to Ivies becasue her dad pressured her to.

Question.

If your child’s stats fall into the mid 50% range, say, exactly at 50%, and the acceptance rate of that school is less than 20%, that’s a reach school, right?

How about with the same stats and the acceptance rate is 40%? Then it’s a match?

I’m still struggling with what is considered a reach, a match and a safety (disregarding financial issue).

@HiToWaMom , OMG, I literally have no clue. I gave up helping my kids with math when they hit 5th grade. I only got out of college because I was able to take “Liberal Studies Math” and met the requirement!

Sorry @hitowamom I just saw your edit. We used the website college data extensively. We put her stats in and it gave us a range of good bet, maybe, and reach. Because her grades and test scores were high, the only really useful aspect of that was the good bet prediction. We also used college niche, which will plot your kids stats in a scattergram. I beleive parchment will help you do the same.
For the really top schools though, the data aren’t much use, because you MUST have really good grades and test scores anyway. There a many threads on CC that can help clarify what safe, match and reach schools should be, but the basics are safe: your child is well above the 75th percentile. Match, your child is comfortably above 50th but ideally closer to 75 or above, and reach is probably if your child is closer to the 50th, but I am not totally sure.

@HiToWaMom

Any school with an acceptance rate in the teens (or below) is a reach for everyone, regardless of their stats. If their stats are in the mid 50% range, that just means the application may be considered.

Hahaha, I hear you.
Thank you for sharing your experience with your D. Your post really made me think.

Mostly agree. Though I think that the “under 20 percent” acceptance rate criteria may be a little off at some school. At our school excellent students ( top 5 percent) with excellent scores (34-35) with good but in no way extraordinary ECs and no hooks routinely get into northwestern, Vanderbilt , tufts, wash u. As well as Duke ED And Penn ED. This is a well regarded public with an ACT average of 28. However those students have basically no chance at HYPS. Our only admits to those are hooked.

Did your D make a choice yet?

@maya54 , other factors come into play as well, including some high schools that have established relationships with particular colleges. Prep school students probably have a different experience. Our school has accepted students to Tufts this year, ED. And Tufts usually do accept about three. But as far as I know this year, only 1, and a WL for another.

@TheGFG , no, stay tuned. I will post it on my original thread when she does.

Many parents who wouldn’t think of looking first at mansions way out of their price range when house hunting, thus setting up disappointing comparisons when faced the houses they can actually afford, don’t seem to apply the same logic to choosing which (either unaffordable or unreachable) colleges to visit first with their kids. It is a kindness to all involved to do some research ahead of time so that college visits are focused primarily on a range of realistic options.

@profparent , yep, I know that now, but didn’t back then. The problem is that you know how spectacular your own kid is. Way more spectacular than an inanimate object like a mansion. There isn’t a parent alive that doesn’t think their kids is the best, including me. We are all sure our kid has that special something that will give them the edge. I just happen to become a realist when faced with overwhelming evidence that my kid is indeed spectacular, but isn’t going to get into Brown:-)