UCLA vs WESLEYAN

I got a scholarship to Wesleyan, and I recently found that I got into UCLA as well. I think both schools are great, but what I need to know is how they compare/contrast in the fields that I want to pursue (I like writing, drawing, video/copy editing, film, etc.)
I currently live in Los Angeles, so obviously my parent prefers me to go to UCLA and stay close. I wouldn’t mind terribly, but I also am attracted to Wesleyan’s “unique” student body, and I think it’d be good for me to get out of my bubble to the east coast (though, my survival skills ARE deplorable)
Finance isn’t so much of a big factor to my face as it was before, since I’m broke enough to receive some kind of help for it lol. I can probably pay the rest w/ work study or something.
Please, if anyone can comment on the two colleges and which would be best for the potential careers I’d be into, I’d be VERY grateful. I’ve got until May 1 to decide :wink:

Both of your choices support notable film programs: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lists/top-25-american-film-schools-ranked-1231343.

Wesleyan’s atmosphere seems particularly suitable for creative forms of writing: https://www.flavorwire.com/409437/the-25-most-literary-colleges-in-america.

With respect to your overall decision, Wesleyan’s East Coast location and geographically diverse student body would further your perspective in the ways you seek.

I have a nephew at UCLA and I just celebrated my fiftieth freshman year anniversary at Wesleyan (no that’s not really a thing - I just note it in passing.) The bottom line is that academically, the decision is a wash. UCLA is perhaps the largest competitive university in the country at 40,000 undergraduates. If there is anything you would like to study, they more than likely will have it to the nth degree.

Wesleyan OTOH is one of the smallest at 3,000 and while normally an eastern LAC would not be expected to have much along the lines of video and film editing, you’ve hit the jackpot with Wesleyan; it is perennially listed among the best film programs in the country. By the time you arrive in the Fall of 2020 it will boast the only fully-equipped movie sound stage on any small college campus in America.

So, this is going to be a decision based on just how adventurous you want to be. The neighborhood favorite or a small, rather quirky, college “Back East”? Which will it be?

@circuitrider . . . let’s not make UCLA larger than it already is. :slight_smile: More like 31,000 undergrads.

@necktietwister . . .I’m going to guess that with how you’re pursuing things, majoring in Film wouldn’t be necessary, at least in an undergraduate setting, which is the inference I get from your post.

THink about which school can the easiest land you top jobs
Think about the location, which college is at the best location especially if you want to find a job there after four years

The money label may be true in most cases but the aid office differs by school to school too. Like a state uni thats less competitive in terms of rank likely has a less financial aid package for you. School with higher ranking may has a higher financial aid for you and cancels more and left less in its amount.
Think about each’s national level ranking which affects tons (on USNWR).
Now left you to decide and look on the national rankings .

Thank you for responding! And for the links too :slight_smile: Quick question though, why would you say the east coast would be a help in “furthering my perspective”?

Haha, you definitely defined my turmoil with those last words. I guess my biggest issue is with regretting over choosing Wesleyan over UCLA, since UCLA has a bunch more classes/prob name rep.
I got into their College of Letters and Science (didn’t have time to apply for their film school) but apparently they offer video editing classes with UCLA Extension?

On the flip side, I’m clearly already rather attached to Wes. I just hope that their film courses aren’t as analysis based as some people say they are, and that I’ll be able to do some actual hands on work, editing and what not.

… for the time being though, I’ll probably be adventurous and step out of my Cali sphere! ? I’ve been here all my life, and while I love the city, I think a shove into the outdoors could do me some good.
Thank you for responding!

UCLA has been approaching Wesleyan in areas such as student selectivity, but even just a few years ago Wesleyan registered a notably stronger profile when considered by standardized scoring, placing 40th compared to UCLA’s 74th in this analysis:

https://www.businessinsider.com/the-610-smartest-colleges-in-america-2015-9

UCLA has been measurably on the rise, however:

https://www.educationnext.org/yes-it-really-is-harder-to-get-into-highly-selective-colleges-today-comparison-sat-scores-over-time/

UCLA extension classes are separate and distinct from undergrad courses and basically open to anyone from around the world who wants to take those.

More importantly, what courses, if any, would you be able to take in UCLA’s film school as a student in the college of letters and science?

What would you major in at each school?

Wesleyan. No comparison. Go for the smaller institution where you will have much more professor and student interaction right from the start. Wes is great for creative students who want excellent academics too.

I’m from LA, and I’ve been to Middletown many times. LA is big, hot, ugly, polluted and sprawling. Middletown is…not. Get out of your comfort zone. And honestly, you don’t have to “survive” in Connecticut. They will ensure you have food and a roof over your head.

1 Like

If you contact Admissions at Wesleyan, I expect that they will put you in contact with students and/or professors who can answer your questions about their film courses.

It sounds like you know where you want to go. One consideration is that students are likely to face more disruption to the 2020-21 academic year from COVID-19. Since we’re a year away from a vaccine. So, one alternative might be to defer enrollment at Wesleyan for a year, stay at home in LA and take the best courses you can in your area of interest at UCLA and/or USC. Then begin Wesleyan in fall, 2021. Wesleyan might even help you work out a plan. These are strange times.

The only hole I can see in that alternate scenario is that UCLA is no more likely to be having in-person classes than Wesleyan, if the nation is still on lockdown next Fall. In that case, the OP might have his pick of video offerings. Wesleyan was an early adopter of MOOC and has since become fairly proficient at offering live video coursework. As we speak, many Wesleyan students are completing their Spring semesters at home.

@necktietwister It sounds like you’re leaning a lot towards Wesleyan, and it sounds like the overall creative environment of that school would be better for you. You can find that at UCLA, for sure, but you’ll have to look for it (and most things, it’s a huge school). I’d definitely contact admissions to get you in touch with students or professors who can answer the questions you have about coursework. Do you know what you want to major in? That can help your decision for sure.

True.

I’m thinking that school closing or staying open will not be the only issue. Travel may well be disrupted again. Lots of planes are grounded right now. What if you get infected and school remains open? How do you get home? What about returning after you recover? I think the logistics may be easier to manage if you’re local. Things will develop in ways we can’t anticipate. Distance will complicate things further.

Just for future reference since this thread will be archived:

– UCLA has a Film, Television and Digital Media minor which is open to all, with a “B” grade minimum, but film classes are very time-consuming because of viewings, etc, so they’d eat up a lot of units.

– There are some programs within film that students can apply to, even if they are not film majors as the 181 series in Animation.

– And though Los Angeles has all the problems of the things mentioned in post #8, the bubble where UCLA is is generally mild & balmy of temperature, has very nice attractive surroundings, and doesn’t have the air quality that would occur, say, downtown, because it’s near the coast.

Personal choice.

The only thing that we know for sure is that the poster who wrote post #8 above does not work for the Los Angeles Chamber of Commerce.

@Mwfan1921 Ooh I see. So UCLA Extension (so long as you pay lmao) is open to anyone, even if you aren’t a student? That’s great! Because I really am into their video editing class.
Also, since I got into COLS for UCLA, I don’t think I’ll be able to take anything from their film school, unless I try to get in. Which will be very, very hard. I’ve also heard it’s not at all easy to switch majors between schools in UCLA so :smiley:

@Bill Marsh Yes, that is definitely going to be an issue. I was hoping that things would settle before school season begins this fall, but… well, who knows at this point.
Also, I know this is prob a dumb question, but if I defer enrollment, it just means I go in a year later, right? I’ll probably need to ask admissions, but I got my scholarship to Wesleyan through QuestBridge. I would like to defer enrollment if that’s what it is, but I also don’t wanna lose any of the scholarship :<

Also @circuitrider that’s a very good point. If I were to defer enrollment (with no penalty lol) then I’d just be taking online classes from ucla extension as well. But as bill marsh said too, staying where I am (LA) would be better off anyhow.

Thank you both very much!

@Rshush yea, does seem like my heart’s already telling me to go Wes haha. And it is, even though my brain is still telling me that UCLA would be better for my future.
For majors… I’ve narrowed down the niche to the likes of screenwriting, video editing, copy writing, etc. I basically need to do something with writing/creating lol. Not sure exactly what degrees I’ll need to be a video editor, but one in Film Studies/Production should do the job.

Since I’m not fully sure exactly what to pursue out of the different things I love, I guess that’s why Wesleyan’s open curriculum speaks to me. Even if UCLA might have better editing classes XD

Thanks for replying!

If you defer enrollment, be sure to check whether taking college courses (anywhere) during the deferral year is allowed by the college you will matriculate to. Normally, “gap year” means no post-high-school college course work, and colleges commonly defined frosh for admission purposes as those who have not taken college courses after high school.

More likely, the available courses for a non-matriculated student will be at community colleges, rather than places like UCLA or USC.