University of Pittsburgh Campus Visits: Share Your Tips & Recommendations

Did you recently visit University of Pittsburgh? Share your experience with the community! Post your review in the comments below.

Some ideas for what to share:

• When did you visit?
  • Where did you stay? Would you recommend it?
  • Where did you eat? Did you try any local specialties?
  • How did you get there? What’s the best transportation mean to get to-from the campus?
  • What was the campus vibe?
  • What did you think of the dorms?
  • What are some must-see things in or around campus?
  • How were the school facilities?
  • Did you like it more or less than you thought you would? Why?
  • Did anything surprise you?

We’d love to hear any tips or recommendations you can share for people planning their UPitt visit!

1 Like
  • When did you visit? Monday, Feb 20 for Admitted Students Day.

• Where did you stay? Springhill Suites Pittsburgh Southside just across the river. Would you recommend it? Yes!! Just 10 minute drive to campus. Hotel has a great view of the river. Clean, free breakfast.

• Where did you eat? We did not get to try any of the restaurants. We had no time! Did you try any local specialties?

• How did you get there? Drove 4 hrs from Northern VA. What’s the best transportation mean to get to-from the campus? We drove to campus and parked in their parking garage and just walked everywhere

• What was the campus vibe? My son LOVES the campus! Lots of students walking, a great mix of urban/traditional campus with pockets of green space around Cathy (Cathedral of Learning) and nearby Schenley Park.

• What did you think of the dorms? We were able to tour Nordenberg Hall - their newest dorm - my son loves it. There are many dorms to choose from. Pitt guarantees housing for the first 3 years!!

• What are some must-see things in or around campus? We didn’t have time but the arboretum, art museum, and downtown I heard are must sees!

• How were the school facilities? We only got to tour Bellefield Professional Building - can’t remember which floor - where they had new facilities for Computer Science and a little bit of School of Computing and Information Building across the street off of Bellefield Ave. We also walked through Lawrence Hall and the admitted student event was in Alumni Hall. Next visit we will try to see Sennott Square, another home for Computer Science.

• Did you like it more or less than you thought you would? Why? We were pleasantly surprised at how much Pitt seems to be the best fit for our son! He felt the same! Pitt combined everything he likes about the other schools on his list. Their Computer Science program encourages getting a secondary plan of study - either another minor, a major, or a plan of study you can design. My son is planning to design his own! We really like that flexibility. We also were impressed by the School of Computing & Information Admitted Student Session. Very organized, structured, informative. Only wish we had extra time to talk to professors more.

• Did anything surprise you? We were surprised just at how much Pitt seems to be a good fit for our son. We didn’t expect that at all! Attending the Admitted Students Day was definitely worth it. Pitt wasn’t as high on my son’s list at first but after this visit, Pitt jumped to #1.

5 Likes
  • When did you visit? Monday Feb 20th, Admitted Students Day
  • Where did you stay? Would you recommend it? The Oaklander, which is right on campus. It’s very nice, and very convenient!
  • Where did you eat? Did you try any local specialties? We went to Pamela’s for breakfast which was fun and yummy, and for dinner on the first night went to Lucca’s which was close to campus (right by Carnegie Mellon) The second night we went to Monterray Fish Grotto in Mt Washington, a very nice meal with amazing views of the city. Lots of places to eat right around campus. So many more we can’t wait to try
  • How did you get there? What’s the best transportation mean to get to-from the campus? We drove. Was an easy drive from the Philly suburbs (about 4.5 hours)
  • What was the campus vibe? Campus vibe seemed happy and overall great. Students out and about, lots of space, nice mix of city and some green space, very clean all around.
  • What did you think of the dorms? I didnt’ see the inside, but outside and tower area seems great
  • What are some must-see things in or around campus? Cathy – take a tour of the Nationality rooms they are amazing. Go to Forbes Ave and walk around, check out the Petersen Events Center, so many places to check out.
  • How were the school facilities? Clean, nice, impressed
  • Did you like it more or less than you thought you would? Why?We loved it! Great campus, vibe, and super impressed with the business school and their program and opportunities for students
  • Did anything surprise you? the view from the incline platforms is incredible. Definitely check it out!
4 Likes

Hi - does anyone know of a good virtual tour for Pitt? I have looked on YouTube and on official website - but still can’t find one that gives a good walking overview of the campus. I think that the school would be a good fit for my son BUT I am worried about it being too urban. He is kind of on the fence. Before we invest the time to go visit I want him to get a good idea of “campus” It is driveable but definitely not close and if he is going o immediately say no way- I would rather spend the time visiting somewhere else.

Hmm… I tried their 360 tour (360 Tours - Admissions | University of Pittsburgh) and I thought it gave a pretty good overview. Perhaps you can try Google maps and wonder around the streets that way?

We visited in early April during S24 spring break. Great spring weather with current students out on the lawn playing volleyball.

Stayed at Wyndham Pittsburgh University Center which is next door to admissions office and the Cathedral of learning. Convenient and happy with the rooms.

A couple dining highlights: from OOS so had to try Primanti Bros which was filling. Also had recommendation from a local for great local italian place called Big Jims (in the run). That was a highlight. Perfect low key real italian food. Felt like eastern PA my son had only seen in movies :slight_smile:

• How did you get there? Flew into Pittsburgh airport and drove

• What was the campus vibe? Very urban setting (major public streets criss-crossing through campus, lots of restaurants all around). Still had a community vibe though; felt like almost everyone around was connected to Pitt.

• What did you think of the dorms? Seemed standard and safe. Happy to hear they guarantee housing multiple years.

• What are some must-see things in or around campus? The Cathedral is impressive and unique. We also liked how the basketball arena doubles as a north-campus student center with food court and Rec center

While in town, we also enjoyed a river boat tour of Pittsburgh and the iconic bridges.

3 Likes