[UPDATED] Chance me Pitzer ED and help me determine some more matches!

Link to OP: Trying to Build a College List- Pls Help!

[This is an updated post, modified for this “chances and matches” forum. My original post, from the “college search & selection” forum, was on 8/1/2021. I now have a larger college list as well as some more/updated personal info. Thanks to anyone who shares their thoughts!!]

Important Update: Next week I will be traveling to MA to look at schools. I have a couple tours booked already (Brandeis, Wheaton, Boston College, Boston U), but I am very open to modifying that schedule, and have extra room to look at some more. Please let me know if you think there are more schools that fit my profile that I should be looking at while I am there!! (Can be anything within a couple hundred miles of the Boston area).

Demographics

• US domestic (US citizen)
  • State/Location of residency: Seattle, Washington
  • Type of high school: smaller competitive private catholic all-girls school
  • Gender/Race/Ethnicity: White Female

GPA and Test Scores

• Unweighted HS GPA: 3.87
    G9 S1: 4.0 S2: 4.0
    G10 S1: 4.0 S2: 4.0
    G11: S1: 3.5 S2: 3.67 (My junior year was extremely difficult for me. my entire year of school was online. I became estranged from my mother, and my parents’ divorce took a turn for the worst and took up all of their attention and money. I spent a lot of my time in family therapy sessions and individual ones. My mental health and the mental health of the people around me was extremely poor and I struggled a lot. My stress level was off the charts and I did the best I could in school.
  • Weighted HS GPA: 4.027
  • ACT/SAT Scores: I will not be submitting test scores throughout my college application process.

Rigor of Coursework

• AP World History- S1: A-, S2: A
    AP Government & Politics- S1: A, S2: A
    AP Psych- S1: B-, S2: A-
    AP Environmental Science: S1: (not taken yet)
    AP Stats: (not taken yet)
    AP English Lit: (not taken yet)
  • 8 honors courses

Awards/Honors

• National Honors Society, Inducted Spring 2021
  • Accepted with Honors into High School (Awarded Merit Scholarship)

Extracurriculars

• Shirts Across America: SAA is an organization that sends students to New Orleans to build homes for low income families/hurricane katrina survivors. I have been a part of SAA for all of high school and have been a Core Team Leader for the organization since sophomore year. Core Team Leaders go through extensive leadership training, meet civil rights icons, lead trips to New Orleans, and get involved with other social justice causes. One must go through an application process to be accepted as a Core Team Lead (includes grade requirements, supplemental essays etc).

• Johns Hopkins Center for Talented Youth (CTY) Intensive Studies Program: For 3 summers in a row (incoming 8th, 9th & 10th grade), I attended CTY. Each summer I chose a different intensive studies focus: Yr1: Logic, Yr2: Law and Politics in U.S. History, Yr3: International Politics. Each session was a 3 week long residential program that included morning, afternoon & night classes 6 days a week. One must go through an application process to be enrolled in a CTY Intensive Studies course (includes standardized testing requirements).

• Sophomore Yr. Debate Club: In sophomore year I attended a large public school (then transferred back to my current school for junior year). At the public school I participated in the policy debate team and won multiple regional level trophies.

• Babysitting- I have been a regular babysitter since I was 14 for multiple families in my neighborhood. I have obtained a Child & Baby First Aid/CPR/AED cert. through the red cross and have made. I have gradually increased my rates as I have gained experience, age, and a driver’s license.

• Volunteering: Food banks, SAA, Aegis Living, Seattle Green Partnership

• Global Visionaries Diversity Book Club- participated in a virtual book club put on by Global Visionaries in which we read Anu Taranath’s book, “Beyond Guilt Trips”. We discussed what it means to be a good global citizen, and grappled with issues of privilege, class status, and race. On the final meeting of our six-week book club we met the author of the book (virtually) and discussed it with her.

• Member of my school’s Multi-Cultural Student Union

Essays/LORs/Other

• Essays: I am still in the process of drafting my essays. I plan to put a ton of time and effort into my essays as I think that they are one of the things that may set me apart from other applicants. Some potential essay topics are listed a little farther down.

• LOR: I will be having my Honors English 11 teacher write me a LOR (she worked with me very closely as I was going through my various crisis in junior year and saw my dedication and perseverance through an incredibly hard time, while also recognizing my gifts as a writer. I have not decided who my second teacher will be yet (probably a 12th grade teacher).

• Interviews: I am planning on doing alumni interviews as part of my application at any school that offers one. I think my communication skills are some of my best attributes and I think I will do really well with these.

• Other: I didn’t know whether to put this under “extracurriculars” or not, but over the last 4 months I have spent the bulk of my free time working on self-discovery. After having long discussions with my family about certain struggles I have had with school and in home life throughout my life, I decided to devote a lot of my time to trying to obtain a comprehensive neuropsychological eval. I took up this initiative entirely on my own, and spent 4 months talking to 30+ offices to try to find the right fit for an experienced evaluator. It was an incredibly lengthy task as so many mental health care professionals are completely overbooked during this time of overwhelming need. That being said, 4 months later, I eventually found a qualified professional who is currently in the process of administering me a comprehensive eval. After our last consultation, she said she is nearly certain that I am suffering from adhd (predom. inattentive presentation). After obtaining my official diagnosis (once the process is complete), my plan is to work with my school counselor to develop a 504 plan for my senior year, hopefully ensuring the best academic (and non-academic) success possible.
    Going through this evaluation process has made me very passionate about how often adhd is overlooked in adolescent girls. I have evidently had many symptoms ever since I was a little girl, and yet it went undiagnosed until 17 years of age. I have come to realize that this is a very common experience for young women with adhd. Our symptoms often often do not present in the same way young boys’ do (not typically as disruptive to others, much more internal struggle related, compensated for better due to societal pressures etc). With the exception of junior year (when I had my dip in grades), my grades have been high only through extreme effort. It has always taken me 2-3x longer to read than other students; my inability to focus has often meant that I take 2-3x longer than other students to get my work done; and I have often had to miss out on social events and other opportunities because of how much my undiagnosed adhd has created problems for me. I say all of this to add some color to my transcript, as well as talk about something that I may write about in one of my supplementals.

Also, if anyone has any info about which schools have great students with disabilities offices (that fit my profile), let me know!

• Another thing that might be worth mentioning in this section is that in sophomore year I attended a different school (bigger, public). I transferred because I wanted a more diverse environment (socio-economic, racial, gender). However, I ended up transferring back to my old school (current) in junior year because they had a much more developed online curriculum than my public school, and I did not want my education to suffer. It was an extremely difficult choice for me as I LOVED the public school, but ultimately I decided to put my learning ahead of my social wants/needs.

Cost Constraints / Budget

None

I would like schools of any price range to be suggested to me, as I may be receiving financial support from other relatives if my new-divorced parents cannot provide the full tuition amounts.

I’m open to any location, including foreign schools that seem like a good fit.

Schools

I have a good idea of the kind of schools I want to apply to. I am interested in smaller, liberal arts schools (with a few mid-size exceptions). I hope to major in political science, so a school with a good political science department would be great. Diversity is important to me when looking at schools.

Safety: St. Mary’s College of California, Wheaton (MA), Kalamazoo, Wooster

Match: Agnes Scott, Occidental

Reach: Pitzer (Probably ED 1), Scripps (Probably ED 2), Wesleyan, Malacaster, Vassar, Brandeis

Thanks for your feeback!

1 Like

Providence College, Trinity College (Hartford, CT), and Union College (Schenectady, NY) are all good for Poly-Sci, are all within a couple of hundred miles of Boston, and are all located in/near state capitals with easy access to internships at the state government level. Union is particularly good with internships at both the nearby state capital and in DC via their “Term in Washington” program, which includes both a 30 hour internship and 2 academic courses, both of which are taught by Union faculty for a cohort of Union students who take this journey through the halls of power together.

2 Likes

Thanks! I will check those 3 out. From first glance, Trinity College and Union College look like great options, while Providence doesn’t look quite as diverse as I would (ideally) hope for. “Term in Washington” sounds really cool. Appreciate the suggestions!!

Because your Junior year hurt your GPA, I would actually recommend that you think of not applying ED. A S1 GPA in line with that of your first two years would help your GPA, and, more importantly, demonstrate that you are in an emotional and mental place that would allow you to be successful in your college studies, AND that you are able to achieve high grades in the more difficult upper-class courses.

Interesting. Yeah, that makes sense. I’ve heard pretty universally that applying ED is a good thing to do, but given my circumstances I can understand why that may not be the case. I appreciate the feedback!

Maybe head over to Worcester and check out Clark University and Holy Cross.

You’re right about the limited diversity at Providence. I think of it as a mini-Boston College but I hadn’t noticed the difference between the two in underrepresented minorities on campus until you raised the issue. Thanks for that. So, I guess to take advantage of the location in the state capital of RI, Brown is pretty much it.

Now that you’ve got me checking, frankly Trinity isn’t all that much better. If it weren’t for foreign students, they’d be pretty close to where Providence is. Let me suggest an alternative. Although it’s not in Hartford as Trinity is, Wesleyan is close enough to the state capital (18 miles) to take advantage of the location for internships and the rest. Wes has an excellent Government major with Poli-Sci included among its concentrations AND it is more diverse than any of the other three I originally suggested. I’m thinking that it’s worth a visit.

If you skip PC, you can visit both Wesleyan and Trinity on the same day in Connecticut. They’re less than half an hour apart. From Trinity, it’s only a little over 2 hours to Union in NY’s Capitol District, which is definitely worth the drive.

1 Like

I recommend that you start first with budget. If you have not yet looked into this, let me give you a bit of information to start with.

You need to sit down with both of your parents and find out what each is willing to pay and if they are willing to work together to support you financially for four years of college.

With that figure in hand, you can then begin to figure out what will be affordable. Many of the schools on your list require that you fill out a form called the CSS Profile in addition to the FAFSA to determine your eligibility for need-based aid. In the case of divorced parents, each parent will have to fill out the form. All income and assets from both parents will be considered. If one of your parents has remarried, the income and assets of the new spouse will also be taken into account. I don’t know the status of every school on your list but Pitzer, Scripps, Wesleyan, Vassar and Macalester are CSS schools. You can find a complete list on the College Board’s website.

For kids of divorced parents, I often recommend that they seek out merit aid that does not take the parents’ income into account, and/or FAFSA only schools that only evaluate the custodial parent’s income and assets.

Wooster, Kalamazoo, Pitzer, Scripps, Mac and Brandeis offered some merit aid as of a few years ago, anywhere from 10-30K annually. That might leave anywhere from 40K to 70K left to pay per year.

If you are looking for full tuition scholarships, you will need to look at less selective LACs where those awards are available and where your academic record would place you among the top applicants.

Please figure out the financial piece first. It is very heartbreaking to get into a dream school only to find out that the money isn’t there. If you are the first to go to college, the cost may come as a shock to your parents.

You seem like an interesting person who has worked hard and overcome challenges. I agree that you should take a look at Clark University which has a lot to offer (including merit scholarships!) and values diversity.

Best of luck!

BTW, a 3.87 is a damn good GPA, just so you know.

I notice that you’ve added Agnes Scott. Good choice. Since you’re looking at women’s colleges, I suggest that you add Wellesley College while you’re in Boston. They have a lot of diversity and are very good at meeting financial need. They have an excellent Poli-Sci program, as attested by the fact that they have produced 2 recent Secretaries of State - Sen. Hillary Clinton and Madeline Albright. Several top journalists are also alumnae - Cokie Roberts, Diane Sawyer, and Nora Ephron. They have easy access by public transportation to Boston, which is the state Capitol. Wellesley has cross registration with several nearby colleges - Babson and Olin across town and Brandeis and MIT a little farther away.

I know that you are interested in small liberal arts colleges with some exceptions. One of those exceptions to consider might be Tufts, also in the Boston suburbs. Not a small LAC, still it is not big, having an undergrad enrollment of only 5800. It’s student:faculty ratio is just 9:1, more typical of a top LAC, and it really has more of the feel of a smaller college than of a big research university. A nice plus is that it’s student population has more of the diversity you’re looking for as well. Well known for it’s program in International Relations as well as Political Science & Government, these are in fact 2 of the most popular majors on campus. Just a warning . . . I was not impressed with the campus tour or info session when I toured there not too long ago. If I had to base a recommendation on that, I would not recommend It. Without students on campus next week, it’s going to be even harder to get a feel for Tufts or any of these colleges, what their students are like, or how you’ll fit in. So, write down whatever you’d like to learn about any college and don’t be shy about asking or about pushing to see things that the tour doesn’t cover.

I hope you have a great visit while you’re in New England!

Both of those look like solid options. From a diversity standpoint, neither school is optimal, but that doesn’t mean they’re not worth exploring. Thanks for the suggestions!

Yes! Wesleyan is already on my list. I’m very interested in checking it out! Good suggestion on visit Trinity and Wesleyan on the same day. I so appreciate the thoughtful feedback.

You’re welcome. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Hello. Thanks for the thoughtful reply! That sounds like really good advice. Neither of my parents have remarried, so the issue of new spouses won’t be an issue. Both parents will be completing their CSS profiles. We plan to submit the FAFSA form as soon as we can on Oct. 1st. I will definitely be seeking out merit scholarships as much as possible. My parents have agreed to split the cost of college 50/50. Neither parent is sure of exactly how much they will be able to pay right now, however. I am fortunate to have other relatives who are willing to chip in for my college education if my parents aren’t able to pay the full cost. We have all agreed that I should be applying to every school that is a good fit, and that more likely than not, our family will collectively be able to pay for the school I decide to attend. I’m an only child, so the price of college is a little less daunting since my parents (and extended family) only have to figure out one kid’s education. I know that answer may be slightly disconcerting still, but our family’s financial situation is too complicated to explain in a lot more detail than that. Thanks for all of the helpful info regarding the aid options offered by certain schools.

1 Like

Thank you :). It’s hard not to be a little frustrated with my dip in junior year, but given the circumstances, I’m still really proud.

Thanks for another thoughtful reply! Wellesley is definitely a possibility. In all honesty, attending a women’s college wouldn’t be my first choice. That being said, if a university looks like it would otherwise be a great fit, I won’t rule it out. I’m especially interested in Scripps because it is part of the Claremont Consortium (shares a city block with 4 co-ed schools as well as having most of its classes be co-ed with the exception of their “CORE” curriculum). Agnes Scott is one of the most diverse schools in the country, with a great student:faculty ratio and an interesting curriculum, so I felt that it needed to be put on the list. The cross registration that Wellesley has is definitely a plus! On Tufts, it’s definitely a school I’ve been considering. I’ve read a lot of anecdotals about the school culture there, and I’m not exactly sure it would be a great personality fit. However, I think their academic structure is very interesting and a lot of the features you highlighted are appealing to me. That’s great general advice about school tours.

Also, if anyone has any thoughts about my chances at Pitzer, please let me know!

Yes, Agnes Scott is very diverse and financial aid is very good. Besides Agnes Scott, as LACs go, Wellesley is about as good as it gets.

Since you’re not submitting test scores, it’s harder to project your chances at Pitzer. Your essay(s) will be very important. Writing about your struggles and growth over the past year might be the way to go. Authenticity matters.

As a general rule, schools like Pitzer that accept less 20% of their applicants are a reach even for the most qualified applicants. It’s not that you don’t have what they’re looking for, you do, but it’s that they have too many prospective students who have what they’re looking for. So, applying there is like buying a lottery ticket. Test optional and the fact that there are seats already occupied by students who took gap years will make this coming year especially unpredictable.

Your chances are better at Pitzer than they would be at Pomona. If your goal is Claremont, you’re wise to include Scripps. Your chances are very good there. One of the reasons why I included Providence College in addition to the fact that it is a good match for your academic interests, is that you’d be a slam dunk for admission there and they might offer you a partial scholarship.

1 Like

I’m thinking that you might find these 2 linked blog pieces useful:

If women’s colleges in a consortium are more appealing, you might want to check out Smith and/or Mount Holyoke in your Massachusetts visit. Both offer merit aid - Mount Holyoke up to full tuition and Smith up to about 25K annually. Mount Holyoke attracts a significant % of international applicants. Be mindful, however, that cross registration among the consortium schools is nowhere near as seamless as the Claremont Consortium. Both would require a shuttle ride to take classes on other campuses.

Bryn Mawr is somewhat easier - articulation with nearby Haverford is almost seamless, classes at U of Penn would involve a fairly easy commute on the train, and Swarthmore involves a longer shuttle ride.