2011 IB Exam Results

<p>^no it doesn’t. This just highlights another of IB’s flaws. You got a low mark because of OTHER PEOPLE’S work bringing you down on moderation. Your work may have never been marked…ever.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>It means that you are eligible for the IB diploma, but haven’t got it yet. </p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Huh?</p>

<p>^IceQube, you do understand how IB moderation works, right? (for the IA’s)</p>

<p>Why don’t we just start a “2012 IB Exam Results” thread?</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>HAHAHAHA I just noticed that the posts in this thread were from 2011. </p>

<p>Well, I know I posted in another IB results thread. I must have got that one confused with this one, which was bumped to the top by an unsuspecting user. I wonder where the 2012 thread is (there actually already is one, and I’ve posted in it).</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I apparently don’t. Please explain.</p>

<p>^sigh, IB keeps everyone in the dark.</p>

<p>So, explaining moderation.</p>

<p>Basically, your coursework (IA’s which include IOP, IOC, Maths porfolio, Labs, etc) and/or your classmates coursework are selected and then sent out to IB to get marked by a ‘senior’ IB marker. </p>

<p>The number of courseworks sent out depends on the size of the class. (if the class is small, more samples are sent, so on, and blah blah).</p>

<p>Now, when the ‘senior’ examiner finally remarks all the coursework sent to him, that score is compared against the coursework not sent out to IB. If the coursework seems to be harshly marked or too easily marked, ALL the courseworks are adjusted accordingly. </p>

<p>If there seems to be no pattern on how the coursework was marked, the IB may request more samples and use the marks given by the senior marker as your ‘actual’ coursework mark.</p>

<p>You see what happens when the samples get sent out are really crappy, but in reality yours was actually really good? It won’t matter, because your coursework won’t even be looked at. And requesting a remark, wont remark your coursework.</p>

<p>In other words, AP>IB.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I see what you’re saying. And I already knew the basics of what you were saying. </p>

<p>This isn’t a problem at my school. My teachers are actually either accurate in their marking of IAs or slightly conservative. My teachers are generally accurate to 1 point. </p>

<p>I can see this as being a problem for new IB schools, in which the teachers are inexperienced. These teachers might give unjustified points or not give enough points. </p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Lol.</p>

<p>You need to distinguish between crappy but well-marked work and crappy and not-so-well marked work. </p>

<p>There are only issues when the work submitted is not-so-well marked. The quality of the work submitted itself has nothing to do with the issue.</p>

<p>External moderation is actually an ingenious system because it significantly lowers the burden for IB while keeping teachers honest because samples are randomly selected to be externally graded. The teacher can’t just give good grades or bad grades on a whim - the grades must be justified - as some might just be double-checked by IB.</p>