2014 African Americans!

<p>Yeah, they definitely focus on their undergrads, not having a med or law school allows them to do that I guess. I’ve been there numerous times and my sister( who went there) tells me about how all the grad students r not given the same amount of attention. Plus, their dorm is like put to the side of the main campus lol I didn’t notice it for a really long time…</p>

<p>my god…before i discovered CC (a week ago) and this thread, i thought i was alone in the world…the only black who actually “tried” at my school…kinda like “i am legend”…</p>

<p>my eyes have been opened</p>

<p>Anyway, Im planning to apply to Stanford (i have absolutely no chance of getting in) WashU, Panoma College and a couple others…</p>

<p>^ LOL at “I am legend”. I know the feeling!</p>

<p>Applying to Stanford as well. Also Franklin Olin College of Engineering, Wesleyan, MIT, Caltech, Dartmouth, Yale, and Hah-vahd.</p>

<p>All I need is one to accept me lol. I’d die of joy if I got into more than one!</p>

<p>ahahaha! “i am legend” – i know how you feel :)</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Wow, thanks, that was all really helpful. A lot of people probably can’t write that much about the school to which they want to go! From what I know about it now, I think Princeton might match some aspects of my personality more than schools of a similar caliber, though I haven’t felt anything “missing” from the other schools I’ve visited, and I’ve had that sense of “connection” at some places. I think I might be able to visit in September or so. Maybe I’ll fall in love! . . .</p>

<p>hahah! duckie i love it, and i know how you feel!</p>

<p>Is anyone applying to the D.C area schools, Georgetown, George washington, American. Georgetown and George washington are definetly my top picks and have the majors i wanna study, but im a little worried about the preppy factor and once again being the like only black person in the school haha…</p>

<p>Georgetown has one of the highest percentages in terms of admitting African American students. 9% of their student population is Black/African American. I’m not sure about George Washington, but that is one of the most expensive schools in the United States. So I hope you are getting a lot of scholarships/grants/aid and stuff. Any school in D.C is expensive.</p>

<p>Trust me you won’t be the only black person in the school. You shouldn’t worry about that anyway because I’m sure in high school you were probably one of the few black people in your high level advanced courses. Honestly if any black person is going to a prestigious university, they should know that the black population will be scarce.</p>

<p>I’m applying to Georgetown. I was applying to GW, but I decided not to. So, my legacy is going to waste. Le sigh.</p>

<p>My sister applied to Georgetown and American. She didn’t get into Georgetown, but American was very generous with financial aid, as it has been for every student I know who’s gotten in there. But she chose the much, much more expensive Northwestern.</p>

<p>Hey you guys, I’m wondering which I should retake, the SAT or ACT. I got a 26 composite on the ACT and a 1650 on the SAT first time, though I’m sure I can score much higher on the SAT, as I had a really awful testing center that was full of loud noises. I always do well on the reading/science of the ACT, but my math suffers (I haven’t taken trig yet), but I like the format better. The SAT isn’t too much better, but I’ve only taken it once. </p>

<p>Should I give the SAT one more shot for ED or should I stick to the ACT?</p>

<p>If writing/reading is your strong point, definitely stay focused and study for the SATs again. The SAT is much more oriented towards writing/humanities type people over math people. Plus, if you can do well on the CR and writing sections on the SAT, the math won’t really affect your score too much. And it’s really easy to improve the math SAT score. I don’t really know about the ACT-didn’t take it. But it sounds like the SAT would be a better choice for you. Hope that helped :)</p>

<p>hmmm…
well, what was your score without the writing section? That way, you can put in an ACT to SAT converter and it will show you how you should be doing. So say you scored a 1090 for both M and CR, that would convert into a 24 on the ACT. In this instance, your doing better on the SAT, so it’d be best to retake that test.</p>

<p>o wow a lot of people have joined since I last logged on. How is everyone? I’m soo nervous right now with these college applications. But I have a question for you all. Do any of you feel sometimes that you are really bombarding your teachers when you are asking them for more than 1 recommendation? Like for example if you were applying to like 10 schools. Or do just move and use other teachers?</p>

<p>Honestly teachers love to write recommendations, especially for students that have a very good relationship with them. Honestly, don’t over think the college application process. Two of my teachers wrote 15 recommendations each, because I applied to 15 schools. I’m sure it was a hassle for them, but I knew those teachers very well and did well in their class. As long as the teachers like you its cool. Luckily I gave the two teachers and the counselor 100$ gift cards with a christmas card inside. My mom thought of that idea.</p>

<p>o wow ok yeah that makes me a feel a lot better. But don’t they probably keep the same format for all of the recommendations but change who the parts of the letter that address a certain school. But thanks Entertainer for the advice, I feel more comfortable about asking for recommendations. Oh the giftcard is a good idea. It shows how much you really appreciated it. Did you send it before or after you got accepted to a school? Also your going to U of M right? I lived in Michigan for a couple of years, good school. Thanks again.</p>

<p>Hi, I’m new here and I’m also a 2014 African American! =)</p>

<p>But I’m really stressed and nervous about something. I feel like my community service isn’t strong at all because although I’ve spent a lot of time doing church work, and I have many leadership positions in that area, that’s pretty much been it. Excluding church service hours, I have maybe a combined total 150 hrs of community service in the past 4 years and most of those are just recently this summer. </p>

<p>Also I come from a school that is not well known, top-tier, scholarly, or let’s just put it this way, if I got accepted into Harvard I’d probably be the first one in the past 10 years. How much of a factor is this in my college application? I have a very strong gpa (3.98 unweighted) and my SAT scores are strong, but I feel like my community service and my high school type will be a major disadvantage for me. I’m also applying to really big schools such as Harvard, Yale, UPenn, Columbia, Georgetown, Brown, and University of Chicago. Should I be worried? =/</p>

<p>You have a good chance in one or two of the world’s top universities, esp. some of the lower tier Ivy League school such as Penn, or Cornell.</p>

<p>US News 2010 World’s Best Universities</p>

<p>Rank Overall Score
1 Harvard University
United States 100.0
Academic Peer Review Score
100 Employer Review Score
100 Student to Faculty Score
96 International Faculty Score
87 International Students Score
81 Citations per Faculty Score
100 </p>

<p>2 Yale University
United States 99.8
100 International Faculty Score
89 International Students Score
71 Citations per Faculty Score
98 </p>

<p>3 University of Cambridge
United Kingdom 99.5
99 International Faculty Score
98 International Students Score
95 Citations per Faculty Score
89 </p>

<p>4 University of Oxford
United Kingdom 98.9
96 International Students Score
96 Citations per Faculty Score
85 </p>

<p>5 California Institute of Technology (Caltech)
United States 98.6
74 Student to Faculty Score
98 International Faculty Score
100 International Students Score
93 Citations per Faculty Score
100 </p>

<p>6 Imperial College London
United Kingdom 98.4
99 Employer Review Score
98 International Students Score
100 Citations per Faculty Score
83 </p>

<p>7 UCL (University College London)
United Kingdom 98.1
96 Employer Review Score
99 Student to Faculty Score
96 International Students Score
100 Citations per Faculty Score
89 </p>

<p>8 University of Chicago
United States 98.0
78 International Students Score
83 Citations per Faculty Score
91 </p>

<p>9 Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
United States 96.7
90 International Faculty Score
33 International Students Score
94 Citations per Faculty Score
100 </p>

<p>10 Columbia University
United States 96.3
29 International Students Score
89 Citations per Faculty Score
94 </p>

<p>11 University of Pennsylvania
United States 96.1
97 Employer Review Score
98 Student to Faculty Score
88 International Faculty Score
83 International Students Score
79 Citations per Faculty Score
99 </p>

<p>12 Princeton University
United States 95.7
75 International Faculty Score
91 International Students Score
82 Citations per Faculty Score
100 </p>

<p>13 Duke University
United States 94.4
97 Employer Review Score
30 International Students Score
66 Citations per Faculty Score
94 </p>

<p>13 Johns Hopkins University
United States 94.4
99 Employer Review Score
78 Student to Faculty Score
30 International Students Score
68 Citations per Faculty Score
100 </p>

<p>15 Cornell University
United States 94.3
90 International Faculty Score
28 International Students Score
76 Citations per Faculty Score
96 </p>

<p>Shanghai Jiao Tong Academic ranking of worl Universities:</p>

<p>World Rank Institution* Region Regional Rank Country National Rank Score on Alumni Score on Award Score on HiCi Score on N&S Score on PUB Score on PCP Total
Score </p>

<p>1 Harvard Univ Americas 1 USA 1 100 100 100 100 100 74.1 100 </p>

<p>2 Stanford Univ Americas 2 USA 2 40 78.7 86.6 68.9 71.6 66.9 73.7 </p>

<p>3 Univ California - Berkeley Americas 3 USA 3 69 77.1 68.8 70.6 70 53 71.4 </p>

<p>4 Univ Cambridge Europe 1 UK 1 90.3 91.5 53.6 56 64.1 65 70.4 </p>

<p>5 Massachusetts Inst Tech (MIT) Americas 4 USA 4 71 80.6 65.6 68.7 61.6 53.9 69.6 </p>

<p>6 California Inst Tech Americas 5 USA 5 52.8 69.1 57.4 66.1 49.7 100 65.4 </p>

<p>7 Columbia Univ Americas 6 USA 6 72.4 65.7 56.5 52.3 70.5 46.6 62.5 </p>

<p>8 Princeton Univ Americas 7 USA 7 59.3 80.4 61.9 40.5 44.8 59.3 58.9 </p>

<p>9 Univ Chicago Americas 8 USA 8 67.4 81.9 50.5 39.5 51.9 41.3 57.1 </p>

<p>10 Univ Oxford Europe 2 UK 2 59 57.9 48.4 52 66 45.7 56.8 </p>

<p>11 Yale Univ Americas 9 USA 9 48.5 43.6 57 55.7 62.4 48.7 54.9 </p>

<p>12 Cornell Univ Americas 10 USA 10 41.5 51.3 54.1 52.3 64.7 40.4 54. </p>

<p>13 Univ California - Los Angeles Americas 11 USA 11 24.4 42.8 57.4 48.9 75.7 36 52.4 </p>

<p>14 Univ California - San Diego Americas 12 USA 12 15.8 34 59.7 53 66.7 47.4 50.3 </p>

<p>15 Univ Pennsylvania Americas 13 USA 13 31.7 34.4 58.3 41.3 69 39.2 49.0</p>

<p>Do any of you guys know about colleges(or more specifically Ivies) that have visiting programs/weekends for minorities? For example, when a friend of mine was at this stage, Brown and Duke and some other schools had visiting weekends specifically for minorites (some even just for African Americans). But I dont think this program exists at Brown anymore :(</p>

<p>She really had a great time at these weekends, because she got to meet so many African Americans who were ambitious, trying to go somewhere and do big things, insanely smart, etc…Or to put it even better, it was basically like this forum that we have here, but you know, we would actually get to physically meet each other lol…</p>

<p>The University of Pennsylvania has one, but I forgot the name. They sent me a flier about it when I visited the school. It also came in the mail as a result of giving them my mailing information.</p>

<p>Ok, thanks Y7ongjun! UPenn is actually my second choice after Yale =)</p>

<p>some have the weekends, but after you are accepted but before you make a final decision.</p>