2014 African Americans!

<p>Hi :wink: Just another fellow African- American introducing herself…hoping to both give and receive advice about getting on the rollercoaster called College Admissions…ok :)</p>

<p>^Hey, welcome to this thread bluefooted booby :slight_smile:
Also, I’ve been reading a lot of threads lately that discuss this issue: who is considered an African American, as opposed to an African? Its a little confusing…</p>

<p>That is confusing. For all intentive purposes or at least in terms of labeling one’s ethnicity in the app they’re close enough to essentially be the same thing unless of course the African is international…</p>

<p>I’m just plain Caribbean. ;)</p>

<p>haha true that or Afro-Caribbean. I’ve actually seen that before.</p>

<p>o wow I didn’t know that HYP stands for that. All this time I was trying to figure it out, I thought it was one school. lol</p>

<p>Hey guys another African american here :slight_smile: i always look through this website for advice as im a rising senior about to go through all this insanity that is college appppps. i never actually write anything on here but when i saw the thread title i was like perfect place for me hahaha and yal seem really cooool !</p>

<p>hey jcgb! What’s up?! Welcome and tell us about yourself…</p>

<p>welllll im a african american guy here, i was born in New Orleans LA and i grew up there until my eighth grade year where i moved to North Carolina (yes after Katrina). ive been reading lots of yals posts and yal seem really smart and i struggled a bit my freshman and sophmore year, but took really hard classes my junior year and for upcomming senior year… (IB program Whoo hoo)</p>

<p>^Hey jcgb917 :slight_smile:
Can anyone here comment on the IB program? It seems really cool from what I know about it (which is little). At my school we only have the AP program, and we don’t even have all the classes we should!</p>

<p>Well my school has IB but i refused to take it. It’s a lot of extra work for no reason. It’s a two year program you start in your junior year. You MUST take 6 classes, 3 higher level and 3 standard level. There are exams for all of them except for the art ones like Theatre Arts, etc. On top of the six classes you take, you must take a Theory of Knowledge class which is philosophical in nature from what i’ve heard. There is an extended essay that must be completed the summer before your senior year which has to be around 4,000 words. In the sciences, there is a group 4 project that must be completed. </p>

<p>Now at first glance, this program would appeal to a lot of intellectual people who really value learning for learning’s sake, myself included. However, there are sooo many restrictions, guidelines, and rules to the program that it quickly becomes unappealing. For one, you can only get credit in the higher level exams, which are scored out of 7 points. Even if you scored a 7 on an SL, you still can’t get college credit because it doesn’t measure up to an AP or any legitimate college coursework. Furthermore, you cannot take any HL classes your junior year, even if you are being taught higher level material, so you’re out of luck there. You are sometimes prepared for the AP tho, but not in the sciences. In general, I just feel like the IB program is not worth it, but that’s me. I was going to take it just for IB English ( that was the only way i was getting into that class) but I decided not to; it wouldn’t be worth the two-year, nonstop headache i would receive. I’m not putting anyone down who is taking it, but these are the reason why I didn’t take it. Taking a good amount of AP’s will give you just as much intellectual stimulation minus the other stuff IB throws in there. Just my 2 quarters… :)</p>

<p>Hm now I’m not so upset my school doesn’t offer IB!</p>

<p>hey jcgb nice to meet you! what schools are you looking at?</p>

<p>lol, i hope i didn’t offend anyone.</p>

<p>its not offensive at all!!
so where did you move to after haiti franchize?</p>

<p>(my lame attempt at making conversation :p)</p>

<p>hey decanela!
franchize pretty much nailed it on the IB thing it is a headache…
my schools sooo far areeeeee:</p>

<p>Georgetown
Georgewashington
chapel hill
Boston University
Boston college
Tulane
Clemson (safety)
LSU (safety)</p>

<p>o ok now I don’t feel that bad for not having IB at my school. Thanks for the info.</p>

<p>Haha^same! That does sound like a pain. The classes sound interesting (many philosophical/ethics/humanities stuff, which I love but my school is severely lacking in), but they should do away with the requirements and restrictions, which seem to go against the whole idea of the IB program in my opinion. Thanks for letting us know :)</p>

<p>@ deca. I moved to NJ into this quaint one bedroom apartment. Loved it. I’m not being sarcastic. lol. It brought my fam closer together.</p>

<p>hey Melody224 your applying SCEA for Yale right? The only difference between that and EA is that SCEA is not binding right?</p>

<p>I think it is binding, no?</p>

<p>The difference between EA (schools like MIT, UChicago, CalTech) and SCEA (Yale and Stanford) is that for SCEA you can only apply to that one school early. Even if you get in you can still apply elsewhere. It isn’t binding like ED schools (Duke, UPenn, Columbia) where if you get in early you must go, but it is restrictive because you can’t apply to many schools early (like it is for EA schools).
Are you thinking of applying early anywhere BlackRose?</p>