2022 Admissions Decisions

Does anyone know about Merit scholarships yet? Where they in the portal or will that info come in a packet?

My son was accepted on Friday to L&S…also curious about scholarship info. Does anyone know if any merit is given directly from the school, or if you have to apply via the Scholarship link on the portal?

Accepted - CALS

• out of state (Louisiana)
  • Biochemistry
  • 4.0 GPA
  • 34 ACT

Accepted Saturday. CALS. OOS, Biology, 31 ACT, 3.78/4.2. Feeling pretty lucky after seeing deferrals.

@TPLMOM @a_masters16

Wisconsin resident or non-resident? (regarding your scholarship/merit question)

@TPLMOM non-resident, NY

UW-Madison L&S FAQs scholarships:

https://scholarships.ls.wisc.edu/incoming-freshmen-faq/

Thank you - that link is very helpful!

If accepted, will you also receive a letter in the mail? I am from Massachusetts and was accepted via the portal on the 15th. So exicited!!! Good luck to all that were deferred or still waiting to hear!

Accepted L&S
OOS no legacy
31 act 1280 sat
3.8 gpa UW

got into cals (mn resident): 32 ACT, 3.7 UW gpa (3.9 W), 12 APs (plus one self studied test) and extracurriculars including varsity tennis, leading a club, mock gov, nhs, newspaper, etc. also a legacy but idk if uw even cares about that. other acceptances so far were umn, mtu, and cwru. congrats to everyone else who got in and i hope to see many of you around campus next year!

Does anyone know when UW sends out links to apply to the Honors Program?

Does anyone know how generous or available OOS scholarships are? Or should OOS expect to pay full price?

@ViolaMom12 Honors app email is usually sent quickly after the admissions packet and, if the practice has not changed, the due date is tied to your own acceptance date, not a generic date in the spring. Due date for your student’s Honors application is typically something like a few weeks after acceptance.

Honors at UW is a different model than some schools – the idea is, all admitted students are capable of doing Honors work so the application is the way to see whether the students are genuinely interested in doing it. Having to do a separate application after acceptance is one way to see who is genuinely interested. I appreciated that my UW kid, who got in by the skin of his teeth and would not have made any automatic stats cutoff, was admitted to UW Honors. He graduated with Honors in the Liberal Arts (completing the breadth and depth requirements for Honors), and developed close relationships with a number of his Honors professors.

Maybe this link will help somewhat.

https://scholarships.ls.wisc.edu/incoming-freshmen-faq/

**Decision: Accepted **

Merit Scholarship, if any:

Objective:
SAT I (breakdown): 1470
ACT (breakdown):
SAT II: 730 Math2
Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 3.83
Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): 19/580
AP (place score in parenthesis): 3 4s
IB (place score in parenthesis):
Senior Year Course Load: 4 Aps
Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.):

Applied for Financial Aid?: No
Intended Major:
State (if domestic applicant): CA
Country (if international applicant):
School Type: Public
Ethnicity: White
Income Bracket:
Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.):

Decision: Accepted

Objective:
SAT I (breakdown): n/a
ACT (breakdown): 34 Composite (35 Reading, 35 English, 33 Science, 32 Math)
SAT II: n/a
Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 3.98 (4.4 W)
Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): n/a
AP (place score in parenthesis): 10 AP Classes throughout HS 5 on Human Geo, APUSH, European History, Lang & Comp and a 4 on Chemistry
IB (place score in parenthesis): Not available at my school
Senior Year Course Load: 5 APs, 1 honors
Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.):
WAFLT Award of Excellence in Study Language 2017
Honorable Mention on the National Spanish Exam 2017
Mathematics League Certificate of Merit 2015 & 2016

Applied for Financial Aid?:Yes
Intended Major: Pre-Med & Spanish
State (if domestic applicant): WI
Country (if international applicant): n/a
School Type: Public
Ethnicity: White
Income Bracket:
Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): Studied abroad in Spain this summer?

@quackunited Plan on full pay for OOS if your FAFSA EFC is $12,001 or higher.

@Madison85 is not kidding. S just got his financial aid notification, we are OOS and his “aid package” is the $5500 loan. I’m not surprised, but still would like to know if anyone has any idea when scholarship announcements will be made. Or…do we have to wait until March?
Thanks in advance.

In the past, L&S scholarships came out in late March. I believe for L&S incoming freshmen there are approximately 90 scholarships ranging from $500 to a few thousand and only 5 of the 90 scholarships are for OOS.