2nd undergrad-degree

I used to be a topper at school, but due a series of unfortunate events, I had a very serious illness, and my health, and consecutively my grades, dropped from A+s, As to Ds, and C-s. I really would like to get into CMU to meet my very high expectations. What would be the steps which anyone would suggest that I take? How can I get into CMU? Thank you so much I am ready to invest any hard work necessary.
Do you think that I can get into Carnegie applying for a music, and then transferring into Computer Science/Artificial Intelligence?

I doubt you can make this transfer within CMU. But perhaps @mathmom knows.

Please clarify. Your subject says “2ne undergra degree”. Does this mean this would be your second undergrad degree….or what?

If it’s your second bachelors, how will you pay for it? And what was your first bachelors in? Do you have a job?

1 Like

When my son was there it was theoretically possible, but very difficult. There might have been a handful of openings if anyone dropped out and the person applying had to have done very well in any CS course they took in CS, assuming they had space for non-CS majors.

1 Like

And again I ask…how are you paying. There is zero financial aid for second bachelors degrees.

Unless CMU has some special thing for second bachelors degrees. Anyone know?

1 Like

I used to be a topper at school, but due a series of unfortunate events, I had a very serious illness, and my health, and consecutively my grades, dropped from A+s, As to Ds, and C-s. I really would like to get into to meet my very high expectations. What would be the steps which anyone would suggest that I take? How can I get into CMU? Thank you so much I am ready to invest any hard work necessary.
OR As a last resort, do you think that I can get into Carnegie applying for a music, and then transferring into Computer Science/Artificial Intelligence?

I am sorry to hear about your illness. That is indeed unfortunate, but I hope you are well now.

Unfortunately, those grades will impact your ability to get into a school like CMU. My advice is to find a school that fits you, and for which you are a fit. Computer Science is a highly employable field and if you excel wherever you land, you’ll do great. The name of your undergrad school doesn’t matter all that much for CS jobs.

No, that’s not how it works. Music is in CMU’s School of Music and CS is in the School of Computer Science, which is very hard to get into (even for someone with perfect grades).

Find a school that works for you, and do your best there.

2 Likes

What was your first bachelors? When did you receive it? What have you been doing since?

And again I ask…how will you pay for a second bachelors?

2 Likes

Are you the equivalent of an all-state-level musician? CMU’s CFA/Music program is a nationally top-20 ranked school.

And transferring from CFA/Music to CS realistically just not going to happen.

5 Likes

I am doing my current bach at UTD, CGS
Yes, I will pay out of my own pocket (I know it will be expensive, VERY EXPENSIVE :smiling_face_with_tear:

In what field?

Don’t worry. Sooner or later he will answer all of your questions. “I want advice but don’t want to describe my situation” seems to be more common than I would have expected. (I’ll try it out with my doctor some time: “Doc, something’s wrong.” “What is it?” “You’re the doctor, you tell me!”)

1 Like

So college of general studies? Have you a concentration of any kind? Have you been to career services to determine what you can pursue with the degree you are currently getting? Start there.

A second bachelors degree is seldom a good idea.

1 Like

I don’t think UTD has college of general studies, my guess is it’s Cognitive Science, but hopefully OP clarifies.

I agree with the posters who have said a second bachelor’s doesn’t make sense in most cases. If one has a degree in cog sci, they might also consider getting a CS masters degree, or some other type of analytic masters.

OP, what are your career goals?

1 Like

@C.K

What is “CGS”.

ETA…a quick Google search agrees with @Mwfan1921 .

So…what options do you have with your current major? Do you understand that many jobs are not related to one’s major at all? You need to be discussing your options with the career center at UTD.

1 Like

CMU has lots of Masters programs in computer science. Master's Programs

2 Likes

@mathmom wouldn’t some of those require some knowledge in the field already? Until we know what this student is currently doing…it’s very hard to give any advice.

2 Likes

It looks like CMU actually allows 2 bachelor’s degrees. According to their website, they treat them like transfer students. The transfer acceptance rate is lower than the freshman one. If you have demonstrated trouble in your undergraduate program, a transfer to a highly selective school is very unlikely for any major.

3 Likes

There are schools that allow students to pursue a second bachelors degree. The question this poster has neglected to answer is…why does he need one? We don’t really know what he is studying now…or his career goals. It’s very possible that he can achieve his career goals without getting a second bachelors. We also don’t know what sorts of grades this poster is bringing to the second bachelors application process…or why he thinks this major is better than the one he is completing.

And while CMU accepts second bachelors students…I don’t think there is funding for these second bachelors degrees…unless CMU provides funding.

The student write this:

“ consecutively my grades, dropped from A+s, As to Ds, and C-s”

So it doesn’t sound as though grades will be high enough for a selective school and program. Even with extenuating circumstances.

4 Likes

Please excuse me if I had misunderstood you question, but I am doing an undergraduate degree at UTD in Cognitive Science (specializing in A.I and Psych)

Okay, Thank you very much for your response