55.28% of new freshmen are from OOS

<p>txdoula, I agree with your comments on Alabama’s beautiful campus and certainly the state of Illinois’ financial problems has forced higher tuition at the University of Illinois but duct tape? Over the last 7-8 years the amount of new construction at UI is very similar to UA. It includes: 1) a new $60 million Business Instructional Facility with over 160,000 square feet that was recognized for being green by the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design; 2) With an $80 million donation from Thomas Siebel, a new 225,000 square foot Center for Computer Science; 3) two new residence halls opening this fall; 4) a $60 million renovation to historic Lincoln Hall; 5) complete renovation of the 340,000 square foot student rec center; 6) with a $100 million donation from the Grainger Foundation, significant renovation to Everitt Lab of Bioengineering. Currently under construction is the new 230,000 square foot Electrical and Computer Enginnering Building and next up is a $160 million dollar renovation of the Assembly Hall. Less state money has been made up by a very generous alumni base with a current endowment of $1.7 billion.</p>

<p>Both schools are doing a great job at educating their students leading to exciting career opportunities.</p>

<p>Hi, New to this forum and reading up to learn more about Bama! Can anyone tell me a bit about the surrounding area - is it safe, do you kids venture off campus a lot, what are housing options for upperclassmen, etc. Also, does anyone know if the Jewish population has increased a lot since the last Hillel stats putting it at 700 students? I’m just wondering if the influx of OOS kids and many from NY are upping that number? Feel free to PM me if you like. Thank you!</p>

<p>Welcome!</p>

<p>The surrounding areas are safe. :slight_smile: Our kids wander off campus all the time. However, as in anywhere, being out alone late at night always has some risk. I wouldn’t want my kids roaming around at 2am all alone. </p>

<p>I know that the Hillel is growing. I thought that the number was closer to 1000 these days. Of course, the Hillel only knows of kids who’ve actually had themselves counted. Same with the other faith groups.
There are at least 3 Jewish posters on this forum so they may be able to speak more to the growing Jewish population. The fact that a new Jewish frat is opening suggests growth to me.</p>

<p>Let me get this right - There are a thousand Jewish students in Alabama? </p>

<p>Is it the ninth Ivy? :D</p>

<p>[University</a> of Alabama: Hillel](<a href=“http://www.bamahillel.org/]University”>http://www.bamahillel.org/)</p>

<p>I don’t know if the numbers on the FAQ are current. I’ve seen that number for a long time. You should contact them and ask for latest info.</p>

<p>We are Jewish and my S will be a freshman in the fall. When we visited last spring and toured the Hillel, I vaguely remember the number 1000 being thrown around also. Maybe that it was approaching 1000? I personally know of a few more in addition to my S coming in the fall, so we are helping the numbers rise. :slight_smile: I think the actual numbers are less important than whether the Jewish kids feel welcome and feel like they have a community, and our impression is that both are true at Bama.</p>

<p>Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.</p>

<p>Welcome! I love the large influx of Northeners! So awesome.</p>

<p>Wondering if Bama’s campus is so large that buses are used by the students on a daily basis?</p>

<p>The main part of Bama’s campus is fairly compact. My D’s classes were all on the quad, and she lives in the dorms on the north side of campus - so all pretty close. I don’t think she ever takes the Crimson Ride. She does sometimes drive to the Rec Center, which is more toward the perimeter of campus. If she didn’t drive, she’d probably take the bus, or many kids bike there. It’s certainly within walking distance, though.</p>

<p>Wondering if Bama’s campus is so large that buses are used by the students on a daily basis?</p>

<p>My kids rarely used the Crimson Ride. The academic space is much more compact and bldgs are grouped by major or college. The NE academic area is for STEM classes, the NW area is for Liberal Arts classes, the SW area is for business, communications, and education classes, the SE area is for Music and other disciplines that I’m not thinking of right now. lol. The GenEd classes are mostly in bldgs around the Quad. </p>

<p>The center of the campus contains the academic bldgs, then around those bldgs are the dorms, student center, and dining halls. The bldgs that are the furthest away are sports arenas, etc. Upper Division Nursing is located in the far SE area of campus because it’s across from the hospital.</p>

<p>Thank you, this is very helpful information. When we went to UGA we didn’t know the layout of the campus in advance. It is very long and hilly. The guide told us that classes had to be scheduled 15 minutes apart so you could take the bus and be on time. It just seemed that logistically each day would be fraught with stress. DD has always moved a bit slowly. LOL</p>

<p>Not sure the exact Jewish count, but it’s largely irrelevant. The Hillel center is active. They host events several times a month, like bowling, bbq, etc. Each gets a small to moderate turnout. The major events like holidays get larger turnouts. Whole point is that it’s a place to meet others, and it’s there if you want it. DS went to several events, though it’s not the center of his social universe. His religion has never been the most important thing in his life. Like most students, he has plenty to keep him busy, and has always felt welcome at UA. His NY address is more of a curiosity to others than his religion.</p>

<p>Hi Chardo, not sure why you said the number of Jewish kids is largely irrelevant? Perhaps in NY it is no big deal, but in other parts of the country Jews can feel like fish out of water. I am researching things for my child while may be irrelevant to you are not for other people.</p>

<p>^ I’m just saying that with 30,000 students, it really doesn’t matter whether there are 700 or 1000. It’s not many. But they are there, and it’s certainly growing. A religious Jew (orthodox, kosher, etc.) will feel out of place. The more secular Jew will not feel out of place just because of his or her religion. The Jewish students will find each other through Hillel if they want. However, if being surrounded by lots of other Jewish kids is important, then UA is not the place to be. If being surrounded by lots of friendly (and attractive) people is important, then UA is perfect. We’re from a “very Jewish” town, but DS has never found that paramount for him. Others may feel differently. He has made friends at UA, both Jewish and non, and has never felt out of place. For him, the bigger culture shock is there are very few Asians (big change from home, many Asian friends), and everyone is so much friendlier.</p>

<p>Chardo, LOL abt your son feeling culture shock about how few Asians there are at UA. When we visited a few weeks ago, DS and I sat in Starbucks and people-watched for quite a while and eventually, he started counting Asians bc he was concerned there weren’t “enough”…and we are not Asian! But, he is used to having many Asian friends…</p>

<p>My D will be entering her 3rd year next year. We are Jewish (Reformed) although I would not say that we are overly religious. She served on the exec board at Hillel the last 2 years and is letting others take the reigns next year. She’s also an intern at the Hillel. With that as background, she has not felt uncomfortable AT ALL. Sure the Jewish community is small, but a small group are active through Hillel and they hold many events and Friday night shabbat dinners weekly that are well attended. The synagogue and Hillel are new facilities right on campus. If your concern is finding a tight knit “religious” community of Jews, I would not make that characterization based upon my observations. If however, you want to make sure there is at least a tight knit secular group that your child may use a haven of like minded souls, then Alabama surely fills that bill. Roll Tide!</p>

<p>There are actually more Asian students than the numbers suggest. Int’l Asian students aren’t “counted,” because only domestic undergrad students are counted for ethnic diversity reporting.</p>

<p>^ I know there are Asian students, but nothing compared to what DS was used to. Our school district is now one-third Asian. As a top student (and volleyball player), his peer group was even higher.</p>

<p>There was an interesting article on Yahoo News today about the impact that Nick Saban and the football program have had on academic life at Alabama. It spoke to the increasing number of out-of-state students, the increased overall enrollment, the increasing selectivity, the number of NMF students, and the building boom. Haven’t been able to find it again to attach it as a link – hopefully somebody else saw it and can link it.</p>

<p>Is this the one? [Y</a>! SPORTS](<a href=“http://sports.yahoo.com/news/magic-nick-saban-everyone-wants-alabama-155022258.html]Y”>http://sports.yahoo.com/news/magic-nick-saban-everyone-wants-alabama-155022258.html)</p>