90th SSAT percentile Chance Me

Hi! I’m currently an 8th grader that’s interested in applying to schools like

Phillips Exeter Academy (PEA)

Phillips Andover ¶

Groton

Middlesex

The hills school

Choate

(Background info: I’m an asian girl that comes from an underrepresented part of Missouri)

My stats:

Grades:

6th grade GPA:
Semester 1- 3.9
Semester 2- 3.6
7th grade GPA:
Semester 1- 4.0
Semester 2- 4.0
8th grade GPA:
Semester 1- 4.0
Semester 2- (not available)

-middle SSAT 89 percentile

-Upper SSAT 90th percentile, 99 verbal, 78 quantitative, 70 reading (My mom and I are worried about the score since the average is 94th percentile but the admissions people said anything above a 85th percentile is fine)

Extracurriculars:

Piano for 9 years

Played piano for the elderly at a senior center

Made a NFT art collection

Tennis for 3 years

Art lessons for 2 years

Tutored high schoolers in china on English

Illustrated drawings for a book

Learning coding

Clubs:

Math-counts in 7th grade
volleyball in 6th grade
Recently joined Science olympiad

Awards:

MMTA and federation for piano for many years

Participated in showcases

The Guild for all of my piano years

Won gold medals for every single one of my piano guilds

Won the state MMTA

Got a perfect score on my piano guild 35/35

Won first place in the state level fish drawing competition

Won first place in the State level Duck stamp competition,

My art was exhibited in multiple places around many states

Won first place in the state level conservation speech of the duck stamp competition

2023 state honors of World of & Billion Video contest (Won both my age group and high school division.)

Won an award on the National Latin Exam

Won the state level MMTA piano competition for my age division

Please be harsh and give me criticism! Thanks!!!

should this be in the prep school chance me forum?

1 Like

Hey, I’m applying for 9th grade BS too for the 2024 school year! Honestly all the posters on college confidential seem like such amazing and extraordinary people it’s hard to differentiate between chances. I think your chances a pretty good, but since I don’t know you personally I don’t have a basis to criticize your app (especially the characteristic parts). I play piano and love art too! The people on cc are for the most part highly intellectual (like you)which reminds me for if (if, fingers crossed)I get in to bs we’ll be surrounded by a community of intellectual diversity! isn’t that so cool?

1 Like

As for your SSat score, as long as your interviews and essays are strong I wouldn’t worry too much and I don’t think your score is bad, meaning that it probably won’t be detrimental to your app. 90th percentile overall is good! If you do retake tho, readytheory and khan academy help!

2 Likes

Yes! @skieurope, could you please move?

OP, your stats are good enough for any school. This will all come down to whether schools feel like you will be a good fit for their community.

2 Likes

OP. You seem talented and qualified. It will come down to institutional needs and whether the community is a fit. If you really want to go to boarding school, I would suggest you add a few schools with higher acceptance rates.

Whether you need FA or not will also make a difference.

Good luck!

1 Like

Thank you all so much for the great advice!! I won’t need financial aid but it would greatly help. As for recommendations, I made a mistake in 6th grade which almost led me to a suspension. My principal knows what I did but it was in the past… do you think he will write anything bad? (He seems to like me and finds me nice) do teachers USUALLY write anything bad about their students?

Also, I’m afraid my SSAT reading and math score will leave a bad impact. (Is there anything I can do to mitigate this?) Again, thank you all for your help! :slight_smile:

I hope we both get accepted! Good luck with your app!!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.