A couple questions

<p>Oh, how I am envious of DS having a Publix within walking distance and he is well aware of his good fortune!!! What I would give to have Publix (and more so Harry’s Whole Foods Market) nearby! He can’t wait for to grab a French baguette and Boar’s Head Oven roasted turkey for his old standby lunch/dinner!</p>

<p>■■■■■???</p>

<p>As I mentioned earlier…there’s a Boar’s Head in Lloyd’s Hall, which is next to Nott Hall (where the Honors College is). So, those on the east side of campus can easily get a sandwich/sub/whatever made with Boar’s Head meats and cheeses. </p>

<p>I do like Bruegger’s Bagels also. I don’t remember if I’ve ever had a bagel while in NY, so I may not have experienced the difference.</p>

<p>Things are quickly changing here in the South. When I first moved here, we had to drive 15 miles to get good Mexican food…one with good salsa!..now there are a few places close by. We could use more good Chinese food. I only like one family owned business by me. I don’t really count PF Changes as Chinese…I like it, but it’s not like a family owned business. </p>

<p>And, more of the better national chain restaurants are here…Ruth’s Chris, PF Changs, Cheesecake Factory, Melting Pot, etc. I’m just hoping that now T-town sells liquor on Sundays that some will open in town. </p>

<p>Don’t be surprised to see a very different T-town within in a few years. When I first was on campus in 2006, the campus and the city were different. By 2009 many, many changes had occurred…streets, buildings, signage, landscaping, shops, restaurants, Midtown Village, Downtown renovation, etc. </p>

<p>By the time younger son graduates in 2013, I think we’ll have seen many more changes. </p>

<p>I agree that we can’t seem to get good cannolis outside of the NE…don’t know why that is. When Tony’s Little Italy opened here, I was hoping that they’d have some, but was disappointed. Their other food is fine, and they have good pizza as well, but not good cannolis. Honestly, the outside tastes like cardboard!</p>

<p>Gojack… thanks for stalking me. No, being a Girl Scout does not mean that I enjoy selling crappy cookies and tying knots. I like to help people and the community service hours I earned being a Girl Scout got me my senior privileges. I can promise you that I’m not a prejudiced person, but the one person I know who went to Bama transferred because he was surrounded by backwater hicks. I’m not going to read each of the 42 posts in this thread because I’m guessing they’ll all say the same thing - and I understand that. I absolutely do not want to judge or assume anything about Bama - it’s still one of my top schools.
And if you want to stereotype me because I’m from Massachusetts, go ahead. It’s true that I live in a wealthy suburb and I own a pair of Uggs and I’m pretty damn liberal. Sterotypes tend to be based in fact. I don’t want to pigeonhole every single person from Alabama, but based off what I’ve heard from people who have been there, there are a lot of rednecks.</p>

<p>@Robotbldmom… notice how I don’t have wireless where I’m currently living and I have to drive to the YMCA 2 miles down the road to get online? I didn’t say what I said about Bama without good reason, don’t assume things about me. I can easily defend myself. I’m not afraid.</p>

<p>*but based off what I’ve heard from people who have been there, there are a lot of rednecks. *</p>

<p>You say that you know ONE person who went to Bama. That isn’t really “people”…that is one person. And when did this person go there? How long did he stay? How do you know this person?</p>

<p>And, when you consider what you wrote in your first post, things that are patently not true, then it’s easy to question how valid that person’s info is.</p>

<p>As mentioned earlier, most of those who post on this board either don’t live in the state or are not from the state. We are from EVERYWHERE. If the university was how you described, we would know it and our kids wouldn’t be there. </p>

<p>I have been on many campuses all over this country, and I can assure you that you won’t see any differences. </p>

<p>And, please don’t be mean to Robotbldmom…she is one of the sweetest, most giving women ever. She wasn’t judging you or anything.</p>

<p>Sterotypes tend to be based in fact.</p>

<p>Oh really…try some stereotypes on minorities and see how you do with that. Certainly someone of a liberal persuasion would have her hair stand up upon hearing about those stereotypes, right?</p>

<p>Seriously, stereotypes, even if they once had an ounce of truth, often stay around long after the “truth” disappears. The reason why there were “dumb Polish” jokes was because there was a time when Polish immigrants didn’t learn English and that made them appear “stupid” to others. They had their own communities, their own Polish-speaking churches and schools, etc. They weren’t dumb, they just didn’t know English. Obviously, the basis of that stereotype is no longer true…Americans with Polish ancestry know how to speak English…but there still are “Polish jokes” around.</p>

<p>Would the fact that Polish jokes are still around prevent you from dating/marrying a person with a Polish nationality?</p>

<p>*because he was surrounded by backwater hicks. *</p>

<p>This stereotype always makes me laugh. Do you really think a bunch of backwater hicks could afford to go to Bama? Even for an instate student, attending Bama would cost about $20k per year…about $80k total. And, certainly, no backwater hick would have the scores to get a great scholarship. What backwater hick families can afford to spend $80k per year for each of their kids to go to college?</p>

<p>That’s how absolutely senseless that belief is. There’s no there, there.</p>

<p>Bama is mostly filled with instate city-kids with professional parents…and OOS kids with either scholarships or parents who can afford to pay OOS rates.</p>

<p>Poor kids (anywhere) that want to go to college, tend to go to their local CC and then transfer to their local state school. They don’t pay room and board to go elsewhere.</p>

<p>You mean banjo music isn’t all you have on your radio stations? LOL- JK, of course.</p>

<p>Kylearob: I don’t think I said anything in this thread ABOUT you, except for the fact that you had not been back. However, without even reading the entirety of this thread, you are Still making ungracious comments.</p>

<p>You need to reassess your college choices and attitude if Bama is in your “Top Picks”, You will not enjoy going to a college with predetermined prejudices (that’s any college) nor will the people there appreciate your intolerance.</p>

<p>I am going to put your attitude under a “please adjust sign” and chalk it up to immaturity on your part.</p>

<p>I do not mean to sound harsh and yes, there are some adjustments that need to be made while living in the South as a student. One of them would be to use manners and be pleasant. A poor attitude will get you nowhere at “any” college.</p>

<p>If you can get past these assumptions about the university (from hearsay), then you might just realize what a truly special place it is. The University of Alabama is a Southern Gem that just might offer you the opportunity of a lifetime if you can open your mind. Your belittling comments do not a “liberal” make. That comment is coming from this very open minded, leans left, New Yorker. </p>

<p>You did not want Gojack stereotyping you and the Girl Scouts but what exactly did you do in your opening post?</p>

<p>Please think carefully about the way you word future posts.</p>

<p>Mom2ck: Thanks for the kind words…</p>

<p>Roll Tide!!</p>

<p>I thought liberals were supposed to be the “tolerant” ones?</p>

<p>Keep in mind that open-minded people…whether they are liberal, conservative, or in-between…do not traffic in stereotypes. </p>

<p>:)</p>

<p>I just returned from taking our DD down to Bama. This is not my first nor my fifth or even my 10th trip to Tuscaloosa. The people that I have encountered both at the University and who live and work in Tuscaloosa itself are some of the kindest and polite people I have ever met (note…I consider myself “well traveled” having visited 48 of our 50 states as well as having spent time in most of the major European cities London, Paris, Rome, Munich, Belin, Prague, St. Petersburg, Barcelona, Edinburgh, Athens…just to name a few so feel I’ve met a diverse group of folks and am a pretty good judge of people). Red neck…no only if it’s super hot and they’re sunburned…hicks…no …I saw no evidence of hay in the hair of anyone I met. If you are referring to people who love God, their Country and their fellow man (or woman) then yes…guilty. For those of us who call ourselves “northeners” (I am not sure I fall in this category…have a southern drawl and say “y’all” but live in Missouri)…well… we could learn a thing or two when it comes to “southern hospitality”. My daughter has only had “positive” experiences with the lovely people who are associated with The University of Alabama, faculty, general staff and students alike. Our other 3 children have attended school in the Midwest (Missouri State,local state school), Chicago (Loyola…son is a senior now) and Columbia (the Ivy…not MU). They have all visited Alabama and each has come away from their experience with nothing but positive things to say. So…if you are judging Alabama on the remarks and opinion of one person then perhaps you ought to go, see and judge for yourself…sip some sweet tea, sit back and enjoy the polite banter, enjoy what is quite possibly THE BEST football experience you will ever have (and oh by the way if you do not like football then you are downright UNAMERICAN). If you find that we all seem to be just a tad bit testy about your post it’s because we LOVE The University of Alabama…what it is doing for our children both in a superb education as well as teaching them life values…and we won’t talk malignant malicious talk and rumor spreading sitting down. Roll Tide!!!</p>

<p>ahpimommy: Glad that your trip went well, and here’s to another great year!</p>

<p>Thank you! That is my wish as well for all of us and our children.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Booyah, mom! Roll Tide from Obamaland via Berkeley.</p>

<p>kylearobb,</p>

<p>Just going off your three posts in this thread. I have determined I’d rather spend time with backwater hicks than with you and your type.</p>

<p>Please keep your ignorant ass in Massachusetts. I for one don’t want you at my University.</p>

<p>I apologize for my previous post. While I still think your original post was offensive. It has come to my attention that you truly didn’t mean for it to be so. </p>

<p>UA is a great school and one that all of us on here are proud of. I urge you to keep an open mind and try to visit the school if you are truly interested. Only then will you know if it’s the right fit for you.</p>

<p>Pardon me for ignoring the real topic of this post and continuing to talk about food, but…</p>

<p>

This is my life…there are at least five DD’s within a ten minute drive of my house and I get coffee from there every day. I don’t know how I’m going to survive without out it; we’re going to have two coffee makers in my suite, but it’s just not the same.</p>

<p>kylearobb,</p>

<p>My (joking) use of stereotypes was to illustrate their fallacy not their validity, as were the other jokes about stereotypes.</p>

<p>Stalking no, giving you the benefit of a doubt yes.</p>

<p>I looked at your previous posts to see if you make it a habit of making highly derogatory and insulting public statements. You don’t, which makes your question worth responding to. You used the phrase Redneck, which is defined as; “A Redneck is a derogatory slang term used in reference to poor white farmers in the Southern United States. It is similar in meaning to cracker, hillbilly and white trash.” </p>

<p>So I ask you, would you use a highly derogatory phrase that refers to poor black farmers in the South, on a public forum? If not, what is the difference from what you said (except skin color)?</p>

<p>If the child of a poor southern white (or black) farmer studies hard and makes it into a prestigious university, does not that kid deserve our respect and admiration, not our ridicule?</p>

<p>I am sure you are a very bright young person, but it appears that you have grown up in a closed little bubble. Regardless of where you chose to go to college, it will serve you well to expand your horizons, break out of your bubble and open your mind to the larger world. Someone interested in the behavioral sciences must be able to put aside personal prejudices, and have understanding and empathy for people from all walks of life.</p>

<p>If you chose to visit UA, I am certain you will be impressed, a liberal arts education should involve a diversity of ideas, something it sounds like you could use a little exposure to.</p>

<p>BTW, if you have something against farmers, most of the land grant colleges, have programs in agriculture like Purdue’s College of Agriculture.</p>

<p>Best of luck on your search for a University.</p>