A couple questions

<p>

</p>

<p>Wait, this is a joke, right? Do you think there’s a NYC pizza place that will deliver to Alabama??? I feel like I could bring a bunch of bagels with me when I fly down and keep them in my freezer…ah, the sacrifices I make to attend Bama.</p>

<p>NJ, you are clearly a man of exquisite tastes.</p>

<p>Ahhh,Hot glazed Krispy Kreme…they went out of business around here. I grew up on those every saturday morning.</p>

<p>*As for food, there are no pizzas, bagels, cold cuts, delis or doughnuts, like you’re used to. *</p>

<p>There is good pizza, good bagels, good do-nuts here. They may not be “NY-style” (whatever that is…lol…I’m from Calif).</p>

<p>There’s a pizza place by me that the owners are from NY and they claim that they’re serving NY style pizza. There is a large Italian population in B’ham, so I imagine that there’s some good pizza there, too. Personally, I like Mellow Mushroom’s pizza and some of Wings U’s coal-fired pizza in T-town. </p>

<p>I don’t know what the difference is in bagels. I like the bagels at Atlanta Bread Company and Panera Bread. </p>

<p>Someone on CC is opening a restaurant in T-town…I’m thinking it’s some kind of Italian but not sure.</p>

<p>We have regular do-nut places here…and Krispy Kreme</p>

<p>Now that I’ve gotten the laughing under control - </p>

<p>m2ck - don’t forget the Boar’s Head cold cuts available at Publix. Have to have some on hand for NY father-in-law when he visits and unlike my S, here in CA I don’t even have it so conveniently available.</p>

<p>Yes…and Boar’s Head is sold on campus in Lloyd’s Hall…</p>

<p>[Lloyd</a> Hall - The University of Alabama](<a href=“Page Not Found | The University of Alabama”>Page Not Found | The University of Alabama)</p>

<p>My apologies. I shouldn’t have used the word good. What you get in the south, and many other places in the country is different than anything in the NY tri state area. It’s what your used to. Now, i would never recommend the NY barbecue to anyone from the south. It would definitely not be what they’re used to. </p>

<p>I’m glad, and sad, to hear there are donut shops, besides Krispy Kreme in Tuscaloosa. That’s probably where you’ll find me on those mornings I’m visiting. Bavarian Cream here I come.</p>

<p>80% of the population in Hawaii lives on Oahu. So where did they stick the one and only Krispy Kreme in the state? Out by the airport in Kahului, Maui. </p>

<p>That’s how we slow-types roll in the truly Deep South, y’all.</p>

<p>There are 3 Dunkin Donuts in B’ham.</p>

<p>There’s also one in Bessemer and Pelham…so that suggests that T-town could be next. :)</p>

<p>Let’s see…Thomas Friedman, Amos Kennedy, Jimmy Wales…all speakers son heard at Bama this past year…and these are the ones I remember. Not all conservative hunter types…</p>

<p>Now, after eating chicken feet (yes, not LEGS!) in China, he is looking forward to a get together with friends at Dreamland…wonder bread and ribs - go figure :)</p>

<p>Now, I really like a Sam Adams and being a Boston Tourist, think some of the BEST seafood is at Legal Seafood and there is WONDERFUL Italian in Boston…but those things can be found several places…only Dreamland BBQ is in Alabama…</p>

<p>And my favorite place to eat when near campus is the Thai Restaurant on the strip…think there are two and I don’t recall the name of the one I enjoy so much. But you enjoy a cosmopolitan lifestyle…</p>

<p>And NJ: thanks for not having the little woman barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen :)</p>

<p>Ain’t this all just precious?</p>

<p>

Have you ever had a NY bagel? I love Panera bagels, but they’re just not the same as fresh bagels from a bagel store that you would get up here. I know they aren’t only lacking in the south though; my friends at Penn State say there is nowhere to get good bagels around there.</p>

<p>I’m glad to hear about Boar’s Head cold cuts! They’re the best!</p>

<p>Boar’s Head at Publix…woo-hoo! Son will be happy to know that.</p>

<p>I second the NJ-NY bagels and the pizza. Can’t even get decent bagels, pizza and cannoli in western PA. We get our fix when we visit relatives back east.</p>

<p>At my Publix in FL, they sell Ray’s NY Bagels. They come frozen. Are they a real NY style bagel like it says on the package? They taste good to me.</p>

<p>NJ, all this ex-Bostonian can say is: ROTFL!!!</p>

<p>And BTW–yes, I love bagels, but…had my first biscuit in Chattanooga at age 32, and I’ve never looked back.</p>

<p>Biscuits: the bread-things of the gods.</p>

<p>NJ, have to agree re Dunkin Donuts vs. Krispy Kremes. But all my NC friends think I’m crazy when I express this preference.</p>

<p>Yankee Belle: Sounds like you need to take a drive up about an hour and a half on I-65 ;)</p>

<p>We’ve had a Krispy Kreme here for a while. But man, I miss my Dunkin Donuts coffee. There were 3 within a mile of my house in NJ. And now one is literally opening right across from my house. I see a daily stop in my near future. </p>

<p>As for bagels, before I had to go gluten free this year, I found that Brueggers’ Bagels weren’t bad (but they certainly were Hot Bagels on Rt. 46 in Clifton.) </p>

<p>Regina: the Publix on campus carries Boars Head cold cuts. They have less of a selection than the full sized Publix, but the quality is quite good. As for pizza, I think D found a place that was NYC palatable. I’ll ask her for the name when she gets back.</p>

<p>FWIW, Bryant Dining Hall also serves Boar’s Head cold cuts.</p>

<p>Alabama does have it’s share of rednecks and hicks, but so does every state. I’m from WA and some people are disappointed to see that I don’t dress like a lumberjack and don’t have webbed feet. Each state has its own stereotypes.</p>

<p>UA and its students could be transplanted to another state and fit right in. We have every modern amenity you can think of and accept credit cards. I understand the stereotypes you’ve been hearing as I myself have heard them many times before. What I suggest is that you come down and visit campus; see for yourself why so many of us came to UA from around the country and around the world.</p>

<p>As a transplanted New Yorker (haven’t lived there since I was a teenager, but never lost the accent), there is a different in the quality of bagels. </p>

<p>Traditionally, a bagel made in the tri-state area (and other places) is boiled. I had a chance to see the process several years ago while in Reading, PA. In Virginia, the bagel bought at the local grocery store is just baked. They are all right, but nothing beats a New York bagel or pizza – love to see the grease run out of a slice when you pick it up.</p>

<p>Dunkin Donuts = a little piece of sugar heaven.</p>

<p>As for rednecks, you can find them anywhere. I’ve seen plenty in three-piece suits.</p>

<p>Notice how the original poster has not been back??</p>