A-G requirements for Cal Poly SLO

When self-reporting your A-G requirements on the Cal State Application, is there any specific strategy for categorizing the G-level classes? For example, I have 5 years of foreign language, 7 years of lab science… do I report the A-F requirements as their minimums and then have a massive surplus of G credits? Or will this make my application appear weaker?

I would fill up the spaces on the Foreign language and Science categories before putting the rest of the classes into the G category. No specific strategy as long as you report the courses in the correct category.

The Cal State Apply website did all of the categorizing for the A-G classes automatically for my daughter. All foreign language and science courses were placed into the appropriate D and E categories.

Agree with @AMCdad. Enter your courses and the website/application sorts the classes for you. Are you asking about adding additional classes that aren’t on the drop down?

So do we list ALL our courses even if we have more than the number required? Is it beneficial to list just the ones with the best grades if we have more than required?

You must list all A-G courses that you have taken. This is how your GPA is calculated. Leaving courses off, even if they are not required, will be found out when you submit your transcript. If your transcript doesn’t match with your self-reported grades, you can have your acceptance rescinded.

@luakalae: As stated by @AMCdad you have to report all a-g courses taken and your transcript must match the self-reported information.

If you run out of space in the a-f category, you can list the extra courses in the g category.

The majority of competitive applicants will have above and beyond the minimum 15 a-g courses required. SLO has recommendations for 23 a-g courses on their website.

Mahalo!!