A Look Ahead at possible UA

<p>I’m a homeschooled Class of 2015 Sophomore in Mississippi and I really like UA. I will probabbly get close to or qualify for NMSF next year. However, I was wondering, does UA like most public schools have special requirements for homeschoolers or are hostile to them? It seems few people homeschool here in the southeast so i was wondering how they handle homeschooling applicants.</p>

<p>Thanks,</p>

<p>Kyp Durron</p>

<p>Welcome, Kyp. Here’s the official scoop on applicants who are home schooled:</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Source: [University</a> of Alabama Undergraduate Catalog 2010-12](<a href=“Page Not Found | The University of Alabama”>Page Not Found | The University of Alabama)</p>

<p>Thanks Malani for the help! I couldn’t find that. Glad to know it doesnt seem hostile</p>

<p>We had homeschooled my son since the 4th grade. Applying to UA was very easy as a homeschooler and they were very receptive towards us. He applied back in Sept, was accepted in two weeks,and go the presidential scholarship. He has also been accepted in the honors college. We got our curriculum from Kolbe Academy in Napa and they provided a transcript which made things a little easier. </p>

<p>Good luck!</p>

<p>Bama likes homeschoolers…no hostility at all.</p>

<p>Great!
@ twomutts
I am with Kolbe Academy as well!</p>

<p>We are a homeschool family from Mississippi as well. My daughter was accepted for the Fall of 2013 with no problem and received the Presidential scholarship as well. We do not use one curriculum but rather a combination of different ones, so we prepared our own transcript. She had no problem with acceptance. :slight_smile: Roll Tide!</p>

<p>OP, there is a homeschool section on CC you may want to visit … <a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/home-schooling-college/[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/home-schooling-college/&lt;/a&gt; … lots of folks who can help with admissions questions you might have.</p>

<p>My home-schooled son is thriving at Bama! He had no trouble with acceptance. We, too, cobbled together our own curriculum and submitted our own transcript. Everything went smoothly. He’s a sophomore on an NMF scholarship. ROLL TIDE!</p>

<p>BTW, kypdurron and twomutts, if you used Kolbe, then I assume y’all are Catholic…? UA has a wonderful Catholic parish right on campus, an easy walk from the dorms. They have a Catholic Student Center, and they host lots of activities, including Tuesday-night Mass and Meal (which my son can never get to because it always conflicts with his Latin class…oh well). They also hold off-campus retreats twice a year. Right now they are in the process of building a large new church building to accommodate UA’s and Tuscaloosa’s growing Catholic population.</p>

<p>Diane</p>

<p>Thanks for the info! The Catholic Student Center looks great! Glad to know they are accepting of Homeschoolers!</p>

<p>@3togo: Thanks, but i am already one of the most frequent posters on that board :)</p>

<p>Thanks for the info! Bama is shooting up in my lists!</p>

<p>When I was at Bama (over 20 years ago!), St. Francis had a very active student group as well. Tuesday night mass and supper, and the SEARCH retreats are some of my favorite memories. I encourage any of you with Catholic students to have them give it a try.</p>

<p>St. Francis is building a new larger church next to the existing one. The existing church will be repurposed into a larger student center. According to Bishop Baker, it will be named Saban Student Center since the Sabans made a large donation to the Capital Campaign drive which is funding the new church bldg and the larger student center. </p>

<p>[Nick</a> vs. Notre Dame: Saban talks faith and football | al.com](<a href=“http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2012/12/nick_vs_notre_dame_saban_refle.html]Nick”>Nick vs. Notre Dame: Saban talks faith and football - al.com)</p>

<p>St. Francis is building a new larger church next to the existing one. The existing church will be repurposed into a larger student center. According to Bishop Baker, it will be named Saban Student Center since the Sabans made a large donation to the Capital Campaign drive which is funding the new church bldg and the larger student center. </p>

<p>[Nick</a> vs. Notre Dame: Saban talks faith and football | al.com](<a href=“http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2012/12/nick_vs_notre_dame_saban_refle.html]Nick”>Nick vs. Notre Dame: Saban talks faith and football - al.com)</p>

<p>I am with Kolbe Academy as well!</p>

<p>For those not familiar with St. Maximillian Kolbe, he gave up his life in a Nazi prison camp (Auschwitz) in order to save the life of a family man chosen for execution. (Prior to Kolbe’s imprisonment in Auschwitz, he had hidden 2000 Jews in his friary)</p>

<p>Kyp,</p>

<p>Hey! Glad to see you’re liking the idea of UA! You’re way ahead of the game compared to where I was my sophomore year, haha. You’ll love it here (if you decide to come)!
Personally, I have met more homeschoolers here than I have ever met in my life. It’s quite strange, really. . . two of my roommates were homeschooled, and at least a few members of this year’s freshman CBH class, as well. You’ll fit right in!
Best of luck in your college-decision journey!</p>

<p>Don’t home schooled students generally perform better than schooled children? Schools often teach to the lowest common denominator.</p>

<p>Why should universities be hostile to home schooled children?</p>

<p>riprorin you would be surprised. It is not so much that they are hostile, but some kind of look down at you and make you jump through extra hoops. Even though my son’s test scores rocked (both ACT & SAT) some schools still feel they did not earn it (based on the belief that some homeschoolers get higher grades more easily than regular students). For example the state of GA has the hope scholarships. Since my son was homeschooled they will not kick in until his sophomore year and then after I do a bunch of extra paperwork they will make it retroactive. Even though his test scores prove he is a great student, the state basically does not believe it unti we prove it for a year in college. Since he gets the Presidential scholarship at UA it is actually going to cost me less to send him OOS vs in state when you figure the interest lost on the first years tuition I have to pay out of pocket (and then of course who knows how long the Hope will be around :(</p>