A question about the economics program

<p>Hopefully I am asking this in the right forum.</p>

<p>I am currently a community college student who will (most likely) be transferring to Alabama soon. I plan to major in economics, and continue from undergrad to grad school (Masters and/ or Ph.d) in either economics, or statistics.</p>

<p>My question is this: Should I go through the arts and sciences and do the quantitative economics track? Or should I go through Culverhouse with my degree? Which will prepare me for grad school?</p>

<p>What do you want to do with your post-graduate degree? And what have you been doing at community college? Have you taken Accounting and Business Law? Those are required before you can advance to the upper division of the business school. What interests you more - business courses or something else? If you major in Economics through Culverhouse, you’ll need to take accounting and business law, together with courses in finance, marketing, management, operations management, business communications, etc. If you want that background, that will work well. If you’re not interested in that, you’ll have more flexibility through the college of arts and sciences. Which background will better serve you depends in part on what you want to do with your ultimate degree. I think either path will prepare you for grad school.</p>

<p>What is your background in mathematics? While not required for an undergraduate degree, one needs a strong background in mathematics to do well in graduate school. </p>

<p>Students majoring in economics typically do so through the business school unless they want to focus specifically on economics without including many other business courses or have a second major which is not offered by the business school. Double majors in economics and math or foreign languages are coordinated through the business school.</p>

<p>Beth’s mom - Teach at a University is the main goal, assuming I get into a Ph.d school. Most of what I have taken so far has been general education classes, along with math and computer programming courses. Economics as well, of course. I will be taking accounting next semester. I would say the business courses would definitely interest me more, I just wasn’t sure if majoring through the arts and sciences was better grad school preparation. Thank you for the response!</p>

<p>SEA_tide - As of now I don’t have an extensive background in mathematics, but a double major in econ and math would be something I would enjoy. Will doing that through the business school give me the proper background necessary for grad school? Thanks for your time.</p>

<p>If you’re interested in the business background, then I’d go through Culverhouse. My daughter is a double major in Econ and Math and she’s getting her degree through the business school. The difference between a Quantitative Econ specialization and a double major in math is only a few math courses.</p>

<p>Doing well in ones courses, having a strong math background, getting good GRE/GMAT scores, having great recommendations, and having some research experience will all help prepare you for grad school.</p>