Academic rivalry between Bama and Auburn?

<p>Bama has made leaps and bounds with its engineering programs to eliminate that distinction. Auburn will lose its perceived edge in engineering. bama has been perceived to be the better school in the Arts and Sciences. Auburn is probably working to end that distinction. </p>

<p>There are probably some Auburn students from die-hard Bama families…just like there are Bama students who come from die-hard Auburn fans…</p>

<p>As for no trouble getting honors housing in The Villages. That may be true for freshmen who were promised such. But, since Auburn only has 298 beds dedicated to honors super suites, there’s no way that students will get easy access in the following years. About 150 have to reserved for next years frosh with housing scholarships.</p>

<p>What auburn does is try to convince parents that it’s the “safe” (read WHITE) and Christian school in the state. They have done this for years with the OTM kids and other affluent neighborhoods throughout the state. </p>

<p>“Do you want your white daughter going to school in Tuscaloosa with all those black boys?” Yes that has been said and implied by auburn recruiters and administrators many times throughout the years. </p>

<p>I’ll give them credit because it worked for a long time. However once Dr Witt came to UA their success in spreading their lies has dwindled. Dr Witt made it a point to heavily recruit those areas and counter auburn’s lies with facts. For the last few years UA has dominated the enrollment of kids from the OTM schools. </p>

<p>My feelings about auburn are well known. And the above is just one of the reasons for that hatred. And if you think it’s just words from a disgruntled Bama fan then ask around. You’ll be shocked what you find out. </p>

<p>FYI, “OTM” = “over the mountain”. This would be the affluent Birmingham suburbs like Hoover, Mountain brook, and Vestavia.</p>

<p>This last comment is misleading – I have a white daughter, who was recruited by an Auburn admissions officer who was an African-American. Perpetuating negative stereotypes is dirty pool, NJ.
We all know you can not base your comment on recent personal experience, given your distain for the place.
Sent from my Eris using CC App</p>

<p>And you are from where? Look at the minority enrollment figures between UA and the barn. It isn’t even close. auburn’s minority figures are made up almost entirely of athletes. </p>

<p>As for my claim it is 100% TRUTH. auburn has for years recruited the OTM kids by putting fear and doubt into their and their parents heads that Tuscaloosa was “unsafe” due to it’s racial makeup. It also claims to be the “christian” school which is designed to prey upon weak minded of the bible belt. Just listen to any interview from them for proof of this charade.</p>

<p>BTW, Blacks make up 12% of UA’s 30,000 students while they only make up 7.8% of auburn’s 25,000 students. </p>

<p>With both being state universities with similar costs and academic portfolios may I ask why you think the disparity is so great?</p>

<p>I think NJ is right in terms of what AU did in the past, and not that long ago. Obviously, AU stopped doing it or is more subtle about it, and/or UA improved its recruitment of the OTM kids. Whatever happened, it no longer works! The surge in both applicants and enrollment of the OTM kids for UA since Dr. Witt arrived has been amazing.</p>

<p>As a parent of a AA student that was recruited by both UA and AU, I would have to say that AU seemed to have a better support system for AA students especially those in Science and Math or at least they advertised it better. On the campus visits, we did notice there were a lot more AA students at UA than AU which does speak to the diversity or lack thereof at each school.</p>

<p>What is an AA student? (Please pardon my ignorance!)</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>A student with a drinking problem :-). I kid I kid.</p>

<p>AA = African American</p>

<p>Per comment #44: we are from the midwest, in a fairly diverse lg. metropolitan area. However, AA diversity within the university populations can be sporadic at best. A few examples: (these numbers are approx. based on est. percentages from College Board)
Univ. of Mo – 9%
Univ. of Wisc-Madison – 2%
Univ. Michigan – 4% (higher asian pop.)
Mo. State – 5%
So, the south is doing better than the Midwest. Clemson, and Univ. of GA are approximately the same as Auburn. Ole Miss has a far higher number of AA students than UA, AU or GA, running about 17%. In terms of overall campus diversity, however, (at least in the South) Florida and UT stand out, with good numbers of hispanic students and asian students that help balance out the entire school demographic.
ALL university systems can and should do a better job in recruitment and support services. I think it’s good to hear that UA has a commitment to increasing diversity and per comment #46, offer solid academic support services. Per my earlier comment, it’s just my opinion that the tone of NJ’s #42 comments are not appropriate for this board.</p>

<p>Perception here is the same as gamomof3, my S is Hispanic, is that AU has a better support program for URM’s at least in the engineering arena. There is a living learning community to support it too and addtional money available. I couldn’t find anything similar in the UA website. There is a mentioning of a MEP program but info is very vague.</p>

<p>In neither campus we saw that many hispanics…</p>

<p>Until last year UA and AU were offering significant packages for National Hispanics Scholars. UA dropped that this year but AU kept it.</p>

<p>Remember, this is my perception from 2 visits to each campus. Reality could be very different…</p>

<p>The tone of my comments aren’t appropriate for an Alabama message board? What tone would that be exactly?</p>

<p>You’re not from an OTM school so you have NO idea as to the accuracy of my statement. I do happen to know many who are from those areas and a number have told me exactly what I posted. I’m sorry if you don’t like it but it is 100% TRUTH.</p>

<p>If you don’t like my tone then feel free to stay on your own board in the future. I will continue to answer questions about UA to the best of my knowledge without concern whether you approve of them or not.</p>

<p>Once again I ask why the huge disparity in AA enrollment between two otherwise similar in state universities? Apparently you have no answer for that question. The question was about Alabama and auburn. Not any other school that you might want to bring into the equation to justify auburn’s lack of diversity.</p>

<p>And BTW Atlanta has heard the same things as I have over the years and she said as much in her post.</p>

<p>One thing that I wanted to say before my computer acted up is that hands down our experience is that UA has a far superior honor program…</p>

<p>NJBama: once again, you have resorted to the “us vs. them” rhetoric, and it’s not helpful. My D has applied and was accepted to Alabama, has a great scholarship opportunity there, so I (and anyone else interested in the school) has just as much of a right to be here as you. If you don’t understand how your tone from #42 could be perceived as inappropriate, then it’s rather pointless to elaborate. The thread is supposed to be about an academic rivalry anyway. Your comments went way off the rails from simply accentuating that UA is working very hard to diversify its student body.</p>

<p>The original post was about the academic “rivalry” between UA and auburn. If that’s not an us against them scenario then I don’t know what is. </p>

<p>My comments were in regards to why auburn has had a higher ACT and GPA average for incoming students than UA. Without trying to be PC I think we all will agree with the following generalizations.</p>

<ol>
<li>Most kids from affluent schools are white</li>
<li>Kids from affluent schools have on average better test scores and GPA’s than those from poorer school districts.</li>
<li>Getting a higher percentage of kids from affluent school districts will boost your average ACT & GPA scores for incoming freshmen.</li>
</ol>

<p>Can we all agree on those points? If so then I am of the opinion that auburn’s better averages were the direct result of their recruiting from the OTM schools and other affluent schools throughout the state. And their recruitment in those schools was aided by the fear tactics they used. </p>

<p>I can offer no proof (ie video or tape recording) of their tactics just as you can offer no proof that they didn’t occur. All I can go on is my conversations with parents and students from those areas and the things they’ve told me about what the auburn recruiters were trying to sell. And I will stand behind my statement 100%.</p>

<p>It is neither my job nor my desire to take up for auburn on here. If you would like to do so then feel free. But don’t tell me that I have to be impartial and play both sides of the fence on an Alabama board.</p>

<p>Bama has…</p>

<p>MEP…The Multicultural Engineering Program (MEP) at The University of Alabama was established in May 1987 through a joint grant from the National Action Council for Minorities in Engineering (NACME) and the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation.
[College</a> of Engineering - Muticultural Engineering Program](<a href=“http://coeweb.eng.ua.edu/current_students/mepindex.htm]College”>http://coeweb.eng.ua.edu/current_students/mepindex.htm)</p>

<p>MEP Goals and Facts</p>

<p>In 2001, a strategic business plan to guide the operation of the MEP was developed. The plan has three ambitious goals that seek to impact students starting at the pre-college level (K-12) all the way to graduation from the University of Alabama College of Engineering.</p>

<p>**MEP Goals: **</p>

<p>•Goal 1: Increase the number of academically qualified students from underrepresented populations who apply, are accepted, and enroll in the College of Engineering.
•Goal 2: Enhance and develop comprehensive support services that assure graduation success.
•Goal 3: Promote a diverse community that encourages and provides a successful path for fulfilling a career in engineering or computer science.</p>

<p>MEP Facts:</p>

<p>•Average minority enrollment in Engineering for the past five years is 18.7%.</p>

<p>**MEP Services… **</p>

<p>•Pre-college (K-12) Initiatives (SECME) </p>

<p>•Student Introduction To Engineering (SITE) </p>

<p>•Summer Program </p>

<p>•Student Recruitment </p>

<p>•Summer Bridge Program</p>

<p>•Retention Efforts </p>

<p>•Tutorials </p>

<p>•Academic Excellence Program </p>

<p>•Academic/Personal Counseling</p>

<p>•Student Study Center </p>

<p>•Financial Aid Counseling </p>

<p>•Scholarship Awards </p>

<p>•Advisory to Student Organizations </p>

<p>•Cooperative Education Referrals </p>

<p>•Full-time Employment Referrals </p>

<p>•Graduate School Support </p>

<p>•GEM Program </p>

<p>[College</a> of Engineering - Muticultural Engineering Program](<a href=“http://coeweb.eng.ua.edu/current_students/services.htm]College”>http://coeweb.eng.ua.edu/current_students/services.htm)</p>

<p>Nat’l Society of Black Engineers - UA Chapter [UA</a> NSBE - National Society of Black Engineers: University of Alabama Chapter](<a href=“http://bama.ua.edu/~uansbe/]UA”>http://bama.ua.edu/~uansbe/)</p>

<p>Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers - meetings are held jointly with Nat’l Society of Black Engineers.</p>

<p>Per post #54: I don’t think anyone who’s ever read your posts would expect you would take up for Auburn.
When I referred to “us vs. them” in this case, I was referencing your propensity towards telling those who don’t agree with you to leave the board. (“If you don’t like my tone then feel free to stay on your own board in the future.”). Though I often disagree with your tone, I do understand your passion for your alma mater. Dismissing other commenters and suggesting they leave the thread – a lot – undermines your passion for UA.
Moving on… UA’s honors college has some tremendous course offerings. We just wish they offered priority semester class enrollment, beyond just the honors courses themselves. Am I missing something here? It could be helpful for the first 2 years. Have they ever considered offering this in the past? Is it just logistically too difficult?</p>

<p>*We just wish they offered priority semester class enrollment, beyond just the honors courses themselves. Am I missing something here? *</p>

<p>???</p>

<p>Priority enrollment is for all classes for students who are in honors. Priority** is for all four years for all classes**. Did you think Bama only gave priority enrollment for “honors classes”?</p>

<p>^ backing up M2CK on this one - definitely all four years, for all classes.</p>

<p>This is great – Thank you!</p>

<p>My OS daughter was in the same boat last year, UA or AU. We would’ve been happy with either one as they are both great schools. The NMF packages are basically the same. One point to consider: UA has 2 different types of honors classes-departmental honors classes and honors courses offered through the honors college. Those offered through the honors college are exceedingly diverse and exciting. Some are lecture, some discussion, some service-learning, etc. The later offers students the opportunity to take small courses from the best professors in different fields. In the end it seems like UA would provide her with much more flexibility in tailoring a personalized college experience. (At AU she’d have been in the same classes with the same students for junior and senior years.) She’s been very happy at 'Bama and is always saying how friendly and helpful people are there. Roll Tide!</p>