Accepted but confused

Well it appears son was just accepted to Binghamton, regular decision. He applied Dec 1, and status changed today to decision made. It looks like he is accepted to Harpur as undeclared. This is what is confusing. He indicated he wanted to major in physics. It does note his interest in physics, but does the fact they admitted him undeclared mean he is accepted to the school, but they have not admitted him to physics department yet? He has not received an email yet, and the online portal is a bit cryptic. Did go to the quick pay portal which will allow a deposit if we so chose, so he is definitely in. Just a bit puzzled. Very pleased, tho he is also in at Stony Brook, for physics, and that is still where he is leaning. (Also in at Pitt and New paltz) and waiting 6 others. Interesting times.

By the way - son applied regular decision, Dec 1 - so it looks like some regular decisions are starting to happen.

I applied as a political science major and it is only listed as an interest. I’m assuming that you go in undeclared to harpur and apply to your major as a sophmore? Not sure…
Congrats to you and your son!

Yes nj1818, I agree it appears that would be the case. Thank you. It’s certainly a nice option to consider.

Yup, you don’t need to be admitted to a certain major, just the school. Congrats!

Thank Rebecca. So this means he can still select physics as his major. He’s already been admitted to several schools so we’ll have some interesting decisions to make once we have all the information.

Still waiting for actual email confirmation and physical snail Mail letter of acceptance. Wondering how soon after the portal update either of these should occur. The whole Binghamton notification process is puzzling. The portal update occurred Monday.

I think you can declare your major anytime you want. On the website it says that most people don’t declare their major until their fifth semester. I’m thinking that most people wait to declare their major until after they have gotten most of their general ed. classes out of the way to make sure they are choosing the right major for them.

Yes makes sense