Accepted into UCSD for non-screening major, can I enroll and switch to Computer Engineering?

I applied for Computer Engineering in both CSE and ECE departments and got on the UCSD waitlist. I just received an acceptance for a non-screening major, History. I have been reviewing this page on the ECE website: Capped Major Application | Electrical and Computer Engineering

It appears I should be able to meet all of the screening course requirements in time and apply from History to the CE (Computer Engineering) major. I would greatly appreciate if someone with more knowledge can confirm that this is possible.

Also, if I am admitted for the History major, can I only take the screening courses I need for my major change or do I have to take History courses as well?

Additionally, in the FAQ section of the above link, it says I can take the screening courses at CC. Would I be able to accept my History major offer, finish my screening courses in time at CC or UCSD (or both at the same time), then do the major transfer application?

Any advice and insight is appreciated,
Thanks!

Calling @Gumbymom.

I should probably add, I have only until Thursday, June 1st at 11:59 pm to accept my History major offer. Sorry about the crunch time!

I would say that this plan is very risky, because the last application cycle will be spring 2024, and if you are not accepted through that cycle, you will have no path to declare your major.

Even if you have a 4.0 GPA in the screening courses, admission to a capped major is not guaranteed. For these capped majors, UCSD will only accept as many students as there are slots. Sometimes there are too many students with a 4.0 GPA for the available slots.

The reason for the red text on that page is that, even with AP credit, it’s not possible to take all the screening courses at UCSD quickly enough for the remaining application cycle. All screening courses must be completed by the end of winter quarter 2024 in order to apply for the spring 2024 application cycle.

Can you list the screening courses you have already taken, and how you plan to take the remaining screening courses in time?

I suggest you ask these questions by contacting UCSD admissions.

But for The CSE Capped Major Application Has Changed

This new application process will go into effect in Fall 2022 (the first application cycle under the new process will be in Summer 2023). Starting in Fall 2022, the incoming CSE class is growing and it will be hard (if not impossible) for students to switch into CSE majors if they are not admitted directly.

View the application process (below) for more information on how to apply once you’re eligible.

If you have questions after reviewing the information below, please contact CSE Advising for assistance.

CSE Capped Major Process | Computer Science.

1 Like

I believe that this student is asking about CE (not CSE). I don’t think it’s possible to switch into CSE at this time (they anticipate no spots). CE is still accepting applications, but the last application cycle is spring 2024.

OP stated CSE and ECE but linked info on ECE and CE. I would still contact admissions since they have been admitted into a Non-Engineering which may not get priority for some the required classes needed to switch majors.

2 Likes

To answer this other question, you can declare a different uncapped major. You don’t have to do History. Here are some uncapped majors that I have seen suggested for students who are interested in computer science:

Here’s UCSD’s web site talking about “Computing Paths” (various ways to pursue an interest in computer science at UCSD): https://computingpaths.ucsd.edu

@Gumbymom is also making a good point about whether it’s even possible to register for the required CE screening classes. Access to CS and engineering classes can also be an issue for students in the uncapped majors listed above, as they don’t get registration priority for some classes they may want to take (or might need for the major).

1 Like

I am looking to transfer into the ECE department for CE (Computer Engineeering) because the CSE capped major change seems to be closed.

The screening courses I have not taken are Math 18, Phys 2B, ECE 35, and ECE 45. Also, CSE 8A+B, although I have already done several introductory programming classes, which these are, and my CC does not have any articulated classes for these. Nonetheless, the most pressing requirement for my situation is completing Math 18 (Linear Algebra) before the UCSD Fall quarter. There is a summer Linear algebra course offered at two CC’s in my area that articulates with UCSD Math 18. I should be able to complete the Math 18 course over summer and Phys 2B in Fall, ECE 35 in Fall, ECE 45 in Winter 24, and CSE 8A+B in either summer 23, fall 23, or winter 24 if they don’t accept the courses I have already taken. If I’m not mistaken, that would make me eligible for the last JSOE capped major application available for the CE major for non-engineering majors.

I plan on calling the UCSD admissions office again tomorrow. Honestly my main goal is to give myself the best chance of getting into an engineering major at UCSD. I am on a joint grant with my CC and UCSD that gives me money for being an engineering major. I am basically set on pursuing an engineering major of some kind at UCSD.

Are there other engineering majors that would be desirable choices for you, if you can’t get into CE?

“@Gumbymom is also making a good point about whether it’s even possible to register for the required CE screening classes. Access to CS and engineering classes can also be an issue for students in the uncapped majors listed above, as they don’t get registration priority for some classes they may want to take (or might need for the major).”

Under the FAQ’s on the link I sent it says I can take the screening courses at CC as well

EE and CompE have been my main choices for a while, but I would give consideration to any engineering major

Yes, but you’ll need to take some classes at UCSD. You listed these:

I’m not sure how difficult it is to register for these classes. That’s a consideration because you will be on a very tight schedule.

Ok, I’m assuming that your plan, if not accepted to CE in the spring 2024 cycle, would be to apply to EE after that, each quarter until you are accepted?

Do you have a backup uncapped major that you would be happy to pursue at UCSD?

I didn’t realize until now that the Electrical Engineering major will not be ceasing capped major applications like the CE major will be doing. I would be very happy with that major. As far as backup uncapped majors, I am pretty set on engineering because of that grant I am on with my CC and UCSD. If I were to get on a comparable grant for an uncapped major that is as in-demand as engineering, then I would definitely consider whichever major that may be.

1 Like

Do you have acceptances to study what you actually want? There are schools, I believe u of Arizona, still taking applications.

Or have you already accepted another school?

Where you go is far less critical than what you are studying - at least in my opinion.

This sounds like a huge risk.

Good luck

1 Like

When you talk to admissions, in addition to the questions you are already planning, I would be sure to ask them:

• Do they anticipate that it will be difficult to register in ECE 35, ECE 45, and CSE 8A+B, if you are not currently enrolled in an engineering major? Do these classes fill quickly and do you typically need registration priority to enroll in them?
  • Do they have data on the screening GPA historically required for admission to CE and EE in previous application cycles? Of course even if you exceeded that GPA, it wouldn’t be any guarantee of admission to these majors, but it might give you an idea of how competitive it is to get into these majors.
1 Like

UC’s don’t closely monitor progress towards satisfying the requirements for your major. So you can enter as a History major and take any class not restricted to majors only, nobody will care. However UCs do have a cap on how many quarters entering frosh and transfers are allowed although at their discretion they can allow you to continue. See Undergraduate Degree Requirements You’ll want to calculate whether if you take only screening courses you’ll be able to earn enough units for History or some other major.

As a side comment, you applied to an engineering major and were not accepted. Did you have a pretty high gpa out of your CC? From the linked page you gave it looks like they will use your CC grades in addition to what you earn at UCSD when choosing those allowed into engineering. Hope is not a plan, so you might want to come up with an estimate of the chances of getting into engineering if your grades at UCSD are similar to those you’ve been earning. You can also call an engineering undergrad advisor listed in the contact box at https://www.ece.ucsd.edu/index.php/undergraduate/ece-undergraduate-advising-office to ask more about their selection process.

3 Likes

One other suggestion is to take another year at your CC. It looks like you’re missing a few fundamental classes for engineering and an additional year would allow you time to take them. Also perhaps cost is an issue since you’ve mentioned a grant at UCSD for engineering, but an additional year would let you apply to other UCs that can guarantee admission to engineering thru TAG.

Thank you so much for all of the detailed information. I am going to contact UCSD Admissions as well as ECE Undergraduate Student Affairs tomorrow and hopefully get some more answers if the major route has any benefit over simply applying again for the engineering major in the fall. I will post back here asap.