Accepted into UCSD for non-screening major, can I enroll and switch to Computer Engineering?

Are there any admits you have where you can study what you want to study? If so, why not pursue that school?

I have close ties in San Diego so itā€™s kind of a necessity to do my undergraduate in San Diego. Technically I could stay at CC another semester or two to complete all Assist.org requirements for computer engineering at UCSD. I only applied last fall to see what would come back, I used the UCā€™s 4 free applications. UCSD Engineering is my first choice because I am already on a grant with my local CC that gives me money to be an engineering major and the grant will continue to pay if I get accepted for engineering at UCSD.

My backup is SDSU, which has a TAG program with my local CC for Computer Engineering. So no matter what, Iā€™m going to stay in San Diego, I just want to maximize my financial aid by keeping the UCSD grant.

ok - as long as you have a home to study what you want.

1 Like

If you have a school that lets you study your choice of major, then go there. If the school is literally forcing you into a humanities major, why would you go there expecting anything different? Thatā€™s a pretty big red flag. In fact, itā€™s a nice way of telling you to go somewhere else. Any school that forces an unemployable degree on you and makes you go through heck for a small chance for something marketableā€¦isnā€™t worth your time. CS/CSE/ECE degrees are ridiculously employable regardless of what school you attend.

5 Likes

Thinking more about this, an extra year at the CC might be a good idea. Some of the missing classes may be prerequisites for some of your engineering classes; you need to check this out in the UCSD Catalog. If you start what should be your junior year but canā€™t enroll in some of the engineering classes due to missing prereqs youā€™ll lose the year. Engineering schools typically only offer classes from their year-long sequences once per year, the intention being everyone takes the year-long sequence starting in the fall.

So map out a trial schedule to see if youā€™d be able to graduate from UCSD in 2 years. If itā€™s going to take 3 then you likely have a better chance of getting into engineering by staying at your CC and once again getting CC priority transfer consideration than you would be trying to change from a History major. And it would be less expensive.

Thank you everyone for the helpful replies.

After much more thought, research, and speaking with people at UCSD, Iā€™ve decided not to accept the History major admission. It appears that it may in fact be possible to switch to an engineering major once there, however the checklist of requirements and deadlines seems to be more trouble than itā€™s worth. Especially since my desired result is not guaranteed.

Actually this entire process has made me realize that the transfer guarantee with SDSU, and SDSU in general, seem to fit my situation much better than UCSD. And thatā€™s regardless of the potential grant I would have with UCSD. Thanks again for all of your input! I hope this helps someone else in a similar situation.

12 Likes

There are thousands of people at my company alone-- just one company out of thousands- who are high earners with degrees in history, literature, etc. And the best CEO I ever worked for had a degree in Renaissance Studies- and was, in fact- a true Renaissance Man.

The world would be a bleak place if it were run by the computer scientists.

3 Likes

You are going to love San Diego State! You will be interning alongside UCSD students at local companies.

My husband prefers hiring CSU graduates. He says theyā€™re ready to go, need little direction when youā€™re explaining and training them, and know the where and the how of getting things to fit, in the overall picture of a contract. Not begrudging UCSD graduates, but he just prefers SDSU gradsā€™ work ethics.

1 Like

Best of luck!!

1 Like