Accepted

<p>got in today. parents found out before I did and mauled me while I was sleeping.<br>
-GPA 3.7
-2190 SAT 1
-750 Biology, 670 US History SAT 2
-NHS
-various awards, the norm
-150 volunteer hours</p>

<p>Overall, very happy to have been accepted. It is my first college acceptance ever!</p>

<p>Deferred earlier this month.</p>

<p>GPA: 3.7 w, 3.3 uw
SAT: 2190
EC's: Good
Recs: Good
Essay: Very Good
OOS</p>

<p>Accepted from NY</p>

<p>GPA: 3.3 UW
SAT: 2230
10 APs</p>

<p>accepted OOS
3.78 uw
35 ACT
EC: just sports
Rec: good i guess
Essay: decent</p>

<p>^great, are you going?</p>

<p>How do u know if ur accepted or not? do u get an e-mail?</p>

<p>Deferred</p>

<p>2120
3.3 GPA (uw)
Many APs
excellent ECs
excellent recs
good essay
in-state
legacy</p>

<p>^that's a shame, he should've gotten in. Where in Milwaukee did he go to school?</p>

<p>By the way, I had a 3.3 WEIGHTED gpa in high school with a lower ACT score, but I got in after one semester at another big 10 school with a 3.8 gpa. That's really shocking that he didn't get in.</p>

<p>Yea, I'm going for sure</p>

<p>Very good suburban public. Probably a victim of the "too many kids from one school" problem they claim isn't real but everyone knows is very real.</p>

<p>Homestead or Nicolet, by any chance? I talked to admissions officer who said "off the record" that if he could, he would take most of the in state kids from those schools. He also admitted that a person in the top 50% in those classes would probably excell at madison, whereas a kid in the top 10% from say, Rhinelander, would often struggle.</p>

<p>Accepted yesterday!</p>

<p>Out-of-state (Massachusetts)
GPA: 3.35-ish
SAT: 730v/680m/730w
ACT: 33</p>

<p>No, but a school very similar to those. It's frustrating. Put him at 95% of the school districts in the state and this would never be an issue. But politically, the University would catch holy hell from an already unfriendly legislature if it took fewer kids from those other districts, which are by definition far more numerous, to take more from a few really good school districts. That's just the way it is and everyone knows it. It's admittedly laudable to get geographic and social diversity, but those goals pale before the simple, overwhelming need for public money. The bottom line is that there's only space for so many, and as the University sails the very choppy waters of public funding (or these days, de-funding) the sad fact is that some very qualified kids will get thrown over the side for reasons of political expediency.</p>

<p>Deferred
Out Of State (Chicago, IL)
34 ACT
2.9UW/3.7W (ALL Honors/AP classes..I did slack off though)
top 24%
I sent my grades, but not essays. I was kind of mad that they deferred me in the first place. I've been accepted to UIllinois and will probably go there.</p>

<p>MilwDad- it would be nice if some rich school districts didn't benefit so much from the way the state handles money allowed to be spent; other school districts can't increase spending to be able to offer the same amenities...no sympathy from the rest of the state. If the outside of Milwaukee districts had their share of the disadvantaged students... other areas don't have the luxury of the welfare students living in the next county...</p>

<p>Whoa there, wis75. You don't know where I'm from or what city I live in. You don't know what I do or how I vote. You don't know how many in my family are teachers. All of that is painfully obvious by the bitterness in your post. </p>

<p>While I regret that my son wasn't initially accepted, you'll note above that all I did was explain what was happening to a particular subset of otherwise qualified applicants. The mere fact that I understand and am willing to say why it is happening does not mark me as subscribing to any particular ideology. Rather than suggest I'm wrong (I am not) you howl about some other inequity that you imply trumps or negates this one. Whatever. I am not demanding "fairness." Life isn't fair. The University of Wisconsin isn't fair. It can't be, because people want different things -- or too many people want the same things.</p>

<p>So we move on.</p>

<p>I have been reading the various posts from parents and students as they apply to UW and other schools of similar stature. In the end most students that want a good education will find it at these schools. If not UW at another similar public university. Having graduated from UW and now having a child considering the University I reflect on my background. Like many of us parents now, we wouldn't have the stats to go to UW, but it did not limit our ability to be successful in life. Many of my classmates got in with SAT scores significantly above mine , but there was not a clear correlation to their ultimate success in their respective careers. Wisconsin looks at the person and tries to understand if they can be successful at the school...it is not just about the stats. It seems too many people posting think a postponement or not being accepted despite great stats is hard to believe...I think the University Admissions has a pretty good understanding of what will make a successful student at UW, is trying to establish a diverse student population, and ultimately wants to enhance the student experience for everyone. Many students not accepted by UW will find success at another university...Most of this is programmed long before they apply to college.</p>

<p>"I think the University Admissions has a pretty good understanding of what will make a successful student at UW, is trying to establish a diverse student population, and ultimately wants to enhance the student experience for everyone."</p>

<p>Surely. But there is a point at which it's the height of foolishness to believe that any admissions counselor at any university can distinguish the relative merit of one applicant over another, both of whom have objectively wonderful qualifications. Does the B in AP Physics at one school equal, surpass, or fall short of the B+ in Advanced Chemistry at another (and all in the absence of knowing but the merest information about the dynamic between this particular teacher and student)? Does the student who has started her own band show more initiative than the one who has sold the most Girl scout cookies or just held a steady job for three years? Does the well written essay about the role model grandfather pale next to the quasi-poetic meditation on a tortoise simply because the counselor has tired of the grandfather theme?</p>

<p>The point is, these counselors are reduced to making arbitrary decisions on trivia, and non-parallel trivia at that. Even they recognize it's not "an art more than a science," but something actually more akin to witch-doctory and dart throwing. And it's not as though they want to do it that way. Every admissions counselor wants to do the same thing -- admit qualified students! The constrictions on attendance prevent that. So what really happens is that quotas of one kind or another become powerful determinants. </p>

<p>It's not fair. It couldn't be. And there's no good solution. Of course it's possible for kids with lower GPAs or lower test scores or meager ECs to succeed at Wisconsin and, in fact, at nearly every university. That's the point. There are simply more qualified applicants than there are places for them. So yes, the admissions counselors at Wisconsin as at most good schools DO have a good understanding of what it takes to succeed at Wisconsin. And they also know that very many of those to whom they deny admission have what it takes.</p>

<p>The UW has tried hard to provide other avenues into the UW. I know they are not the same as going as a freshman but they are there. Unfortunately there is no alternative to UW like MSU or Va Tech/William & Mary, or IU/Purdue in other states.</p>