Accepting your kid won't go to your alma mater?

Yes, I think my kids tend to get over their disappointments and frustrations faster than I do. They may react very dramatically initially with tears and teeth gnashing, but that storm usually blows over so quickly that I am shocked how soon they seem to have forgotten their original desire. Much sooner than I let go of my sadness/empathy because I hate seeing them unhappy and disappointed.

Anyway, among disappointments, I will be far sadder if my kids don’t have kids of their own (to reference another recent thread Be honest: Would you be sad if your kids decide to forgo marriage/parenthood?) than if they don’t end up at my alma mater.

But it is an overstatement to say that I don’t care at all. I care a bit. A piece of me would like them to apply and be admitted since I had a positive experience and I think at least one of them might have a good experience there as well. My alma mater does not consider legacy in admissions though so a legacy bump is off the table. And again, I doubt any of them will apply. They all seem to be the type of kids who would want a fairly open curriculum, and my college has enough requirements to be a turn off to my free spirits.

Still it is is hard to swallow that so far they aren’t interested. But it is what it is (much like the grandchild thing), and it is their lives not mine. However given that I care a bit that none are likely to attend even knowing that the fit is probably wrong, I can totally get why the OP might be struggling with the idea that their children aren’t likely to be admitted and the school would be unaffordable anyway. I am in a somewhat different boat in that I think at least one of my kids might be competitive for my alma mater (not a sure thing at all, but a possibility) and it would be affordable if that kid were admitted. So it stings less for me, I imagine.

4 Likes