ACT/SAT Help

<p>My son(jr) is taking SAT for 1st time next weekend. He scored low on ACT- Pls give any tips- i beleive you are penalized for wrong answers on SAT but not on ACT- any other tips? his lowest is in Reading</p>

<p>ACT?- he has done the writing both times so far- a friend said he doesn’t need to do writing agian and it’s a low score- is there any reason he needs to do writing again - what if he scores highest on this last ACT but doesn’t take the writing?</p>

<p>he plans to attend Bama</p>

<p>My son is an incoming freshman to Bama in the fall. We just went throught this nerve wracking process. The SAT can be super scored which means you can use the scores from different tests- example: you can take the writing and reading from a june test and submit the math from may test. The ACT is not super scored by most schools which means you need the writing on every test if the school requires it. You can’t mix and match the scoring on the ACT for most schools. You can check with admissions to make sure I am correct. My son took practice tests online before the test and timed himself on every part. Kids run out of time on the ACT so you can’t waste time. I hope this helps. Good Luck!</p>

<p>Your son needs to take the writing portion of the ACT and SAT once. </p>

<p>I called and asked on this because my son was retaking the ACT again trying to get the Presidential (which he did!) and was told as long as they have a writing score on file for that type of test they don’t need to retake the writing portioin each time :)</p>

<p>You are correct, .25 points off for each incorrect answer and 1.0 point added for each correct one for the SAT, no points off for incorrect answers in the ACT.</p>

<p>My son’s lowest was also reading. It is the timing that he needed work on. Practice, practice, practice online or in the ACT Princeton review book brought up his reading score on each test he took :)</p>

<p>Good luck to your son!</p>

<p>I was under the impression that Alabama did not SuperScore the SAT</p>

<p>Ok- so we need to send both scores of ACT if he happens to score better this next time?</p>

<p>Bama doesn’t “super score” for scholarships. They may for admissions?</p>

<p>[FAQ</a> - Undergraduate Scholarships - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://scholarships.ua.edu/faq/]FAQ”>Frequently Asked Questions – Scholarships | The University of Alabama)</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>If the ACT with the lower score includes writing and his test with the highest score does not, you’d have to send both. </p>

<p>As far as I know, Bama doesn’t superscore anything. There are an increasing number of schools that superscore the ACT as well as the SAT, though.</p>

<p>I think you mean the ESSAY, not the writing portion.</p>

<p>He has to do the Writing portion. He should do the essay again if he wants to be considered for scholarships. Another student didn’t have the Essay portion on his best score and it was a problem that took some time to get resolved.</p>

<p>I think you mean the ESSAY, not the writing portion.</p>

<p>He has to do the Writing portion. He should do the essay again if he wants to be considered for scholarships. Another student didn’t have the Essay portion on his best score and it was a problem that took some time to get resolved.</p>

<p>There’s no harm in taking the ACT with essay…the essay is given at the end, so it doesn’t tire you out for the rest of the test.</p>

<p>For the SAT, the essay isn’t optional.</p>

<p>For the SAT essay, tell him to fill all the pages.</p>

<p>There is an SAT/ACT forum here on CC. Check it out. I learned a lot on there.</p>

<p>True…longer essays get better scores.</p>