Active Shooting in Lewiston, Maine (Location of Bates)

To help fill in those blanks you are requesting, there is this ( though the title, IMO is inaccurate, b/c his state of mind was apparently already worrisome before he was hospitalized)Sources: Gun believed to be used in Maine shootings was purchased days before suspect’s mental health episode

3 Likes

I don’t take satisfaction in the fact that he is dead, but I am relieved for all of the citizens of Maine who were affected that this has finally come to an end.

I can’t even imagine losing a loved one to a deranged mass shooter. It would be bad enough to lose them to a terrible disease, but this would be even worse, because you would know that it could have potentially been prevented.

9 Likes

As a country, we need to not have the weaponry avail that allowed this to happen.

We cannot prevent these things otherwise.

13 Likes

The victims were collateral damage to the perpetrator’s terrible disease, mental illness.

2 Likes

And to the social conditions that make it possible for someone with this terrible disease to (a) not get the treatment they need; and (b) have access to tools that make possible the easy mass murder of multiple people.

5 Likes

Having him go through the legal system is really hard on survivors. Every time there is another trial date or information is released, etc it affects everyone remotely connected to the mass shooting. It can be a big step backwards in the recovery process.

I do hope more information is learned so maybe this time something can change to prevent another time from happening.

2 Likes

I heard the news last night from my daughter, who got a Tweet. I didn’t believe her at first, because nothing was showing up on national news sites. It took several minutes for that to happen. His body was found 13 miles from our house.

All of us have been surprised at the rush of emotions we felt. I think most of us were brought to tears. A profound sense of relief, but also deep sadness that this will never be “over” for a lot of families.

And for me, there’s an additional layer of emotions, knowing that this guy could have and should have gotten help. We really thought we had “lost” our son last year, but the state hospital was awesome and took 2 1/2 months to stabilize him. He’s been doing great for over 9 months. My neighbor is a state legislator and a retired nurse practitioner. She is very interested in mental health issues, so I’m going to contact her to see if we can collaborate on better legislation.

I’m totally exhausted but have to pull myself together to get work done that I couldn’t concentrate on the last three days.

8 Likes

I know a couple whose struggle to get their son the help he needed was long and difficult, and it didn’t end well. Knowing how hard they worked to get him help that just wasn’t there was heartbreaking. While inclusion of mental health parity for health insurance was a step in the right direction, the reality has not been true parity for a variety of reasons. Your involvement in trying to find solutions is such a good thing, because you understand what is not working in the system. Thank you for your efforts.

9 Likes

This is true that it’s hard on survivors, but that is true essentially any time murder or assault cases go to trial. We have a legal system so that people can see if someone is “brought to justice”. It was no surprise that this person suicided, and I agree strongly that our mental health system has needed serious improvement for a very long time.

2 Likes

I’m glad you no longer have to live in fear. Unlock the doors, turn on the lights, crack a window open, exhale.

3 Likes

So glad the immediate crisis is over, with you and loved ones safe.

But yea, this will stay with you a long time. Actually forever, though to lesser extent over time. I say this with memories of the Columbine shooting…. which happened an hour away from us and decades in the past. We grieve again at each new tragic shooting that reminds us it was not an anomaly that would not happen again.

1 Like
2 Likes

I saw the interview with him, it made me cry. What a sweet man.

6 Likes

Per this article, police were alerted about this man’s threat.

1 Like

This in no way comes as a surprise to me.

4 Likes

Not posting this to be political (do not think it is) but rather to give some insight, as a life-long New Englander-----

There are two Maines—

Coastal Maine, up to Portland or maybe to Brunswick or so, is more affluent and maybe more like southern NE (more liberal). Interior/northern Maine is much more rural, less affluent, and more conservative.

There was a best seller a few years ago, The Beans of Egypt, Maine, that portrayed the poorer rural interior Maine, much different than the rocky seashore, sailboating, lobster-eating, LL Bean image of coastal Maine.

3 Likes

On a positive note, through mutual Facebook friends, I’ve found a mental health advocacy group (mostly parents of people with serious mental illnesses) I am joining. One father is an ex state senator whose ill son killed someone. The dad had tried his hardest to get help for the young man with no success.

We’re hoping to have more luck now.

18 Likes

Missed that. Horrible.

1 Like