Adding HBCU Category to College Search & Selection

I recently started the thread Why Students Are Choosing HBCUs and had difficulty choosing the appropriate venue on CC.

The College Search & Selection category has subforums for Christian Colleges, Community Colleges, Women’s Colleges, and Online Degrees, but nothing for HBCUs. And there is an area for African-American Students under Specialty College Admissions Topics, but HBCUs are not exclusively for African-American students.

Thus, I would like to request that CC consider adding a subcategory for HBCUs under College Search & Selection.

9 Likes

I think this category would be really helpful. Would make it much easier to search. I am seeing a big increased interest in HBCUs among the students I know.

7 Likes

@CC_Mike

1 Like

This seems like a solid suggestion. Should the category be called:

• HBCU
  • Historically Black Colleges and Universities
  • Something else (please reply with suggestions)

0 voters

So that the category isn’t empty, I’d also want to move some topics that have already been created. For a start, I think topics with HBCU in the title from the College Search and Selection category can be safely moved. Any other leads?

2 Likes

I think Historically Black Colleges and Universities is very clear. Many high school students may not know the acronym HBCU.

You could link all the individual HBCU subforums in that subforum. You could also link the African American students subforum.

I’ll tags a few users here who might have suggestions.
@sybbie719
@EconPop
@ChangeTheGame
@ProfSD
@EGHopeful

6 Likes

I do think it would be useful to have the acronym HBCU in the title instead of (or in addition to) the long name. I always hear them called HBCUs, not the full name. What I am hoping is that when some parent or some kid does a Google search for HBCUs, that they find their way to College Confidential. I, myself, never went looking for College Confidential-- Google found it for me when I was searching under a specific acronym that applied to my kid.

3 Likes

Maybe Historically Black Colleges & Universities (HBCU)?

9 Likes

You can always put HBCU in parentheses after the full name.

7 Likes

Could you combine both choices? Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCU) so that it is easy for anyone to find?

8 Likes

I wholeheartedly agree with @Lindagaf and @ChangeTheGame’s suggestions. It makes sense to have both in the title, and I like the (HBCU) in parentheses.

8 Likes

How about:

Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs)

?

6 Likes

I’m voting the same way as everyone else:

Historically Black Colleges & Universities (HBCUs)

6 Likes

My thoughts, too.

6 Likes

I ended up going with “Historically Black Colleges & Universities (HBCU)” The ampersand is necessary to fit within 50 characters. I populated the category with some older and locked threads. It would be wonderful if we had a few more threads started there to liven up the category. Any volunteers?

7 Likes

This thread would certainly be one that could go in that category: Non-Black Students at HBCUs

ETA: @CC_Jon Some other potential threads include:

6 Likes

This is great, thanks @AustenNut and @CC_Jon

5 Likes