Admission and a C grade

Hello
I was wondering if anyone can advise about admissions to GWU, U pitt, Fordham, Drexel, NYU etc for business major with a C + in Algebra 2 in 9th grade- covid 19 year online :frowning: and C in APUSH in 10th grade. My child is in 11th grade currently. Assuming it goes without a C, what are the chances of admission in above schools or others ? She has lot of musical activities in her resume and volunteering and 3 school clubs .

1 Like

My child had a couple of Cs, Precalc and Geometry, got in EA to Fordham. Its ok not to be perfect, and even better if there are other grades and/ore test scores to compensate. Also we did not submit test scores anywhere , and he got in to all schools he applied to. We ultimately declined Fordham due to price.

4 Likes

Thank you! congrats to your child. Where did she/he end up going ? and can you please advise what schools she/he got into so i get a perspective ? Appreciate it

He committed to Ithaca. He also applied to Salisbury, Gettysburg, Maryland, Niagara U, Shippensburg, Rowan, U of MD (they release on Feb 1), and Widener.

3 Likes

Thank you ! Best wishes!

Hi I would be curious about UMD. Can you inform if he got in there ? Thank you and best of luck.

It depends upon the strength of the rest of the application. Assuming an upward trend, many A’s, strong ECs, great recommendations, and hopefully a high test score, I don’t think that a couple of C grades would disqualify your child from admission to all but the most selective schools.

5 Likes

Thank you. Top selective would mean top 20 ? Would a place like GWU or U pitt consider the application even or reject it quickly due to a C?

I think that GWU and Pitt would definitely consider a student who is strong in every other way but has a couple of C’s.

6 Likes

Depends which list one believes.
NYU had a <13% acceptance rate in 2021 - so that is highly selective, regardless of “rank”. And for several of their colleges, the acceptance rate was down to single digits.

If your daughter’s overall HS GPA is “up there”, then a “C” in freshman Algebra might not be a big deal when the higher-level classes were up to par. Similarly, a “C” in APUSH by itself might not be a big deal, if core subjects were good. Of course, the more “C”'s the bigger is the impact on the GPA.

Generally, single grades are less important than the overall strength of your daughter’s application, of which we know nothing. Highly selective colleges, like NYU, will be inundated with applications from high-GPA, “A” students, from the top 10% of their class, possibly high ACT/SAT scores. Yet, there will always be a range - but in the lower ranges, there might have been other “non-numerical” exceptional aspects to the application/applicant that the college saw.

2 Likes

Thank you. So Far GPA is over 4.0 but keeping fingers crossed for Junior year and senior year. …

What is the unweighted gpa?

1 Like

I was accepted this year to Pitt and Fordham EA. I had probably 3 or 4 C’s (COVID year) through high school, but pretty solid grades otherwise. I also have very strong ECs. I did submit my SAT score to both (1380) and got 12,500 in merit from Fordham. I have also gotten into JMU, CU Boulder, and UMN, and I am waiting on most others.

2 Likes

Congratulations! That’s very good . Thank you for sharing. Hope you get many more. When you say strong EC , can you give an example?

Not sure. why is unweighted important ?

There is no standard weighting between high schools so an UW GPA gives more context.

7 Likes

Thank you. I have to calculate it. will let you know.

Your child is doing well to have only received a couple of C’s during covid. Colleges are aware that the majority of students who started high school during covid had a rough time. A couple of C’s is not going to doom any application. Given upwards trends, course rigor, good recs, involved EC’s, and well written essays, your student should be fine. She will have plenty of choices, as long as she has a balanced list of colleges.

1 Like

Thank you so much. That’s very encouraging. Yes it was a full online school year and Math teaching online was real bad.

1 Like

The major I applied for everywhere was some form of political science. My main ECs were related to that; I worked on a gubernatorial campaign, interned on a city council campaign, and drafted policy for my state’s legislature. I also had a mix of other things; I play two varsity sports, do lots of community service, am president of a club, etc.

1 Like